Back again - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A View Post
Which is another reason to leave your son intact--if you cut him, you'll be depressed about that, too. And are you breastfeeding? That helps some women with PPD.

Practice some swear words in front of the mirror now so you'll be good and ready IF you get pressured!!!
Im definatley breastfeeding, I cant wait. That was my favorite thing to do for my daughter.

I have no problem cussing so that shouldnt be a problem!
#32 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

These are some great ideas! I really appreciate the time and effort yall are taking to write and help me with ideas.

It would be hard to come right home, unless I have someone else keep my older kids. Theres no way I could come home 2 hrs later and take care of a 3 yr old and 9 yr old and newborn by myself. I just dont have that in me! Maybe at day 2, but not 2 hrs.

Im going to talk to my dr at my next visit and hopefully she will be able to stand strong in my defense at the hospital. Im also going to talk to my pedi and get his advice on how to avoid any questioning at the hospital. Hes wonderful and I know he will support my decision.

I love the idea for my friend. I have talked to her about her looking all up in my business and she told me she totally understood and for me to do what is comfortable for me.

I think Im just putting more stress on myself than I need to. And am probably stronger than I think. Hell, I take care of 2 completely by myself as it is, surely I can stick up for this matter as well!
#33 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 09:52 AM

You will be fine

While many people are harassed to circ in hospitals, many are not.

When I had my son the doc asked me once - as she was about to discharge us from the hospital. That was it. No pressure .

And if you are one of unfortunate people who are harrassed - you are strong and have the tools to deal with this.

kathy
#34 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My twin boys were born almost 14 years ago, and no one said anything to us about circumcision.

Here's another line you can practice:

"Is there something wrong with my son's penis? No? Then I'm NOT signing him up for an operation!"

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

#35 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post
"Is there something wrong with my son's penis? No? Then I'm NOT signing him up for an operation!"
I LOVE this!
#36 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyintx View Post
After some rude responses I took a lil break but the issue has never left my mind. Im still highly leaning towards not cutting him. Im dating a new man that is not, and the babys father is not. My biggest worry is the ppl in the hospital with their opinions on the matter. I just am not a strong enough person to say no most of the time, so when ppl are telling me oh yes you need to do this, Im afraid, right after giving birth, Im not going to be strong enough to stand up to everyone.

I know its noone else's decision, but its rough when you have 5 ppl talkin in your ear telling you how much you should get it done.

No one said anything to me in the hospital. As a matter of fact, the doc that came in to ask us said good for you when he heard we were staying intact. If you are concerned make it very clear in your birth plan and give copies to all the nurses.

I never once regretted not circing, and to be honest don't even think about it anymore.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#37 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorette View Post
All you have to do is write it on your birth plan and highlight it.
Everyone at the hospital should read it and not even ask you about it.
I wrote it on my birth plan and no one ever mentioned it to me.
I did the same thing and only one person mentioned it and that was the ped. that did DS's discharge (not our regular ped.). He let me know he had read my chart and mentioned about not retracting him and later a nurse brought in a half sheet from the AAP about care of the uncircumcised penis. This was in N. Ohio.

-Astrid
#38 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Does the hospital have "rooming-in"? That should help if they do.

Are you planning a ceasarin birth? If not, that should help.

I think you've received a lot of great responses. My only other suggestion is to keep him near you at all times. Good luck.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#39 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post
My twin boys were born almost 14 years ago, and no one said anything to us about circumcision.

Here's another line you can practice:

Perfect!!!
#40 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, they do rooming in, and I did keep my dd with me at all times, unless for some reason the nursery needed her for hearing tests or whatever.

No C-Section, unless something unexpected comes up. I have very very fast deliveries and am really worried about just getting to the hospital in time!

I had a birth plan with #2 but it was never asked if I had one, and everything I did have on it was ignored anyways. Example, not having an IV...being able to walk around during labor...

So with my next 2 I didnt even bother with a plan.
#41 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 03:57 PM

I think having a doula would be a really good idea for you for a lot of reasons. Not just to help stave off any pro-circers, but to help remind staff not to ignore your wishes for no IV, to walk around, etc. Perhaps you can find someone in your area who's working towards certification who can help you out for free or low cost. Try bellywomen.net
#42 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

I DID IT! I filled out my pre-registration tonight and put in big letters at the top DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT CIRCUMCISION THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I WANT AND DO NOT WANT TO BE ASKED!!!
#43 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I DID IT! I filled out my pre-registration tonight and put in big letters at the top DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT CIRCUMCISION THIS IS NOT SOMETHING I WANT AND DO NOT WANT TO BE ASKED!!!
Great Job MommyinTX! Keep us posted on how things proceed; see it is not that hard.
#44 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I'm so glad you came back and have taken steps to protect your new baby! You can do it

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#45 of 56 Old 05-28-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
YAY!!!!

Thats reason to celebrate!

I'm so proud of you!!!!

I bet doing what you did took a huge load off, didn't it. Now on the the count down to that sweet little boy who is so lucky to keep ALL HIS BODY PARTS!!! He will thank you for keeping him WHOLE. You're a super smart mama! You really are. :
#46 of 56 Old 05-29-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Now is the time to change that. You can do it. You're about to have this amazing person placed in your arms who is going to need to you to be strong enough to fight for him. He's going to need you throughout his life, and standing up for his right to genital integrity will just be a first - it won't end with that.
YES! I've only been a mom for 4 months and during that four months the only mistakes that I regret are the the ones where I didn't stand up for my baby and say "NO." I've learned that I have to be stronger than ever to protect my son and it has only been 4 months. I can only imagine how much more my strength will be tested in my journey as a parent.
#47 of 56 Old 05-29-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
You are amazing! Way to go

#48 of 56 Old 05-29-2008, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Good for you (and your son)!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#49 of 56 Old 05-29-2008, 02:19 PM

Congratulations strong Momma

You have one lucky little boy to be

Take care,
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#50 of 56 Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Im in West Tx.....in Lubbock...head down around August LOL
My sister is in Abilene & is begging me to come visit...maybe I can save enough gas money by August!

Along with being an intactivist, I'm a massage therapist certified in prenatal massage, so I could be of service to you mama before during & after birth too!

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#51 of 56 Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Awesome!! Good for you!!

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#52 of 56 Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 PM

I never got pressured to have my son circumcised, it can vary from area to area of course, but I think one of the reasons was because I never appeared wishywashy on the subject. When asked, I said No, firmly and confidently.

I did have nurses try to push me on some of the other things I said No to, I generally just say nothing because I don't like the confrontation either, but I don't waiver or change my mind.

I hope you have a beautiful birth and a healthy happy baby boy!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#53 of 56 Old 05-29-2008, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspook View Post
My sister is in Abilene & is begging me to come visit...maybe I can save enough gas money by August!

Along with being an intactivist, I'm a massage therapist certified in prenatal massage, so I could be of service to you mama before during & after birth too!
Thats not far at all!! And heck if I get a massage Ill pay your gas!!! LOL
#54 of 56 Old 05-29-2008, 10:12 PM

Hi there!

I am not sure what was said to you before, as I don't post on here very often. I know that many of us are very passionate about the subject, and may come off rather strongly at times....but I am glad that you weren't scared away

I am also a non-confrontational person by nature. I am definitely working on becoming more assertive. Having my son has definitely helped me with that. I want no harm to ever come to him, and my job is to protect him. I have become much more assertive when it comes to anything to do with my son.

I find just saying no in a firm tone with a look that says that it isn't up for discussion is all it takes. Saying no to circ is relatively easy, as opposed to say declining vaccinations or vitamin supplements(I don't think bf'ed babies need them personally)....docs usually give me more hassle about those issues. However, I've always been able to say no to them....I nod and smile a lot....and let it go in one ear and out the other!

When I had my son, the nurse asked me the day after he was born if I wanted it done....I was in the bathroom at the time, and she just knocked on the door. I yelled NO, and never heard another thing about it....LOL.

The more informed you are on things, the easier it will be. Armed with research, and the sight of your precious newborn son, I think you'll have less trouble saying no than you might think.

Hugs and congrats on your little guy!
#55 of 56 Old 05-30-2008, 04:40 PM

Well, what about having a homebirth or UC? I know it is a lot to think about, but it is also a very good way to make sure your baby stays whole, and you don't get pressured.
#56 of 56 Old 05-30-2008, 05:26 PM

Congrats.... I do hope that along with the message about leavng ds intact you will also pursue the best birth environment for you and your baby.
A peaceful birth will lesson chances of ppd and make you feel like a mama lion (so you won't have any problem standing up for your wishes).

It sounds like the place you were at didnt' really listen to your needs for your other births, and they should. A birth plan is a good way to start.

I loved that the first thing my nurse told me at the hospital was, "You know, you don't have to do anything that you don't want to."

Enjoy your pregnancy!

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page