Black and White - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-09-2008, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess this is sort of a rant...

There are a lot of polarizing issues in this world...I can almost always see both sides. I am usually pretty strongly on one side or the other, but I can usually at least wrap my head around where the other side is coming from.

Gay marriage - I see why people are against it...I think their reasons are stupid...but I see it.

Death penalty - Pros and cons there as well...

Breastfeeding - I think everyone that can should. I understand that there are those that can't for one reason or another. I do have issues with those who choose not to.

Cloth diapering - 2 sides...I understand both

Vaccination - I can see where people can come to different conclusions than I did. I have a problem with sheeple who never even think about it and just blindly do it.

Circumcision - How can any thinking person possibly do this to a child? There is absolutely no way in the world that this can be justified. There is np gray area here. It's wrong...just wrong! There is no right way to mutilate a child..there is no reason to mutilate a child. How on earth coulkd there possibly be another side to this issue?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-09-2008, 05:12 PM

Well I agree this issue is fairly black and white "People should have the right to control their own bodies short of a medical emergency."
How could someone disagree with that?

That is because people INVEST other issues in the circumcision issue, and by attacking circumcision, to them it feels like your attacking that other issue as well.

For example a jewish parent may defend every action they make about circumcision and seem "pro-circ" because to them it feels like your attacking their culture. In their mind saying circ is bad, (to them) feels like they are saying there is something wrong with their culture.

This is same for mothers who have invested circumcision as a sound parenting decision, admitting it is bad, (to them) feels like admitting they are bad parents.

For men in American society they have been conditioned to see a circed penis to be "better" (instead of just different) and maybe even more manly. To admit circ is bad is like questioning the very culture which almost defines them.

Body modification has always been an important, and powerful practice for cultures in the past (and will continue into the future). Perminatly altering a part of your own body is a VERY powerful experience in life thats why people easily take what is important to them in their lives, and connect it to circumcision. So for "them" questioning circumcision is like questioning the most important things in their life.

I dont think we will ever get rid of body modification (and honestly, I dont think we should) but we need to do everything we can to adjust societies perception on this, and remind our country and our world that as important as these types of practices are, we cannot be performing them on children.
#3 of 5 Old 06-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Banned

I would say circumcision and pedophilia/bestiality are pretty much on the same playing field for me. THey are pretty much the only 'black and white, no shades of gray', hell it is ALWAYS nasty, ALWAYS wrong, ALWAYS criminal, issues.
#4 of 5 Old 06-09-2008, 05:29 PM

There are very few truly black and white issues. Circumcising children happens to be one of them. It is with out a doubt 100% wrong. Nope NO gray area when it comes to cutting off a part of chid's genitalia. No excuse , no rationalization makes it even remotely okay.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#5 of 5 Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
How can any thinking person possibly do this to a child?
The assumption is that they actually thought about it. People may claim to have thought about and/or researched it, but the reality is that they usually do it for emotional reasons, or that they really just haven't actually thought about it.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page