it keeps bugging me...re: Dr. Sears - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember few months ago I've learned (from this forum) that Dr. Sears does circ. I have to admit I was very much shocked and disgusted. I mean, the guy KNOWS that circ is BAD and yet, he still does them. Few months later it still bugs me a LOT!
Do you think we should write him asking to stop performing this mutilative surgery and join DOC?
#2 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 04:33 PM

Do you mean that he performs circs for patients or that his own kids are circed?

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#3 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by My*Scorpio View Post
Do you mean that he performs circs for patients or that his own kids are circed?
he is circ-ing babies (patients). If I remember correctly, he wrote something along the lines that it's a human right to have anesthesia during circ and that HE (Dr. Sears) have been performing THOUSANDS of circ with anesthesia very successfully.

Isn't it a human right to have a WHOLE BODY instead of anesthesia during a damaging cosmetic surgery??? :::

SHAME ON HIM! "DO NO HARM" my a$$ :
#4 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 04:59 PM

I do think its very two faced to say no, dont do this, and then do it himself. I would hope that at least he very much discourages his patients parents.

However, I could almost see wanting to do it yourself if the parents were determined. As the circ'er, he could be sure they are getting anesthesia, that its working well before its done, perhaps do a very *lose* circumcision....I dunno, I know I couldnt do it ever myself, but even I recommended a mohel to my friend because its so much faster and he did a very very lose circ (he doesnt even seperate the glans and the foreskin-he pulls the lose skin forward and cuts the excess off and tells parents not to pull it back until it will on its own...definately still a painful and unecessary surgery but at least its a little better I guess). She didnt listen and did the gomco crap in a doctors office with no pain meds. Ugh.

In any case, Id be interested in hearing more about why and how he does it from himself before completely hating him for it.

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#5 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I guess the financial incentive ($$$) keeps it going, even when they discourage it and think it's a human rights violation.... which IS very, very two-faced of them! If I were a doctor, I'd be anti-circ including not perfoming them!!!!
#6 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 05:27 PM

Yes, he performs circumcisions. It really saddens me, because I think he's so great in so many other ways.

But he outright says it's not necessary and that there's nothing medical to back it up. So why, as a doctor, would you still perform something medically unnecessary?
#7 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 05:40 PM

I just learned this right now.
I am shocked and DICUSTED.

#8 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asunlitrose View Post
So why, as a doctor, would you still perform something medically unnecessary?
EXACTLY!
#9 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
So why, as a doctor, would you still perform something medically unnecessary?
I want to not fall back on the usual answer...I want to believe maybe he is different. But, the rational side of my mind wins out.

The answer is money.

It might be plain money. Or maybe it is "I would lose so many patients" (money) or maybe it is "I would alienate many moms and not be able to reach them on other issues" (money).

$$

"Parents are simply trustees; they do not own the bodies of their children"-Norm Cohen  Martial arts instructor intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif and mom to 4: DD1 (1/05) DS (7/06) DD2 (5/08) DD3 (2/11)
#10 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

do you guys think we should write him??
#11 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 06:09 PM

I think it would speak volumes if he refused to do it. I am disappointed to find out that he is performing circs. I'd have never thought he could do a surgery that he knows is not necessary.
#12 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 06:30 PM

I learned about this years ago and one of the reasons I don't care for him. It's hypocritical, unethical and just plain wrong. And also why I think many Sears worshipping 'AP' parents think circing is okay and in line with AP.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#13 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderMae View Post
I learned about this years ago and one of the reasons I don't care for him. It's hypocritical, unethical and just plain wrong. And also why I think many Sears worshipping 'AP' parents think circing is okay and in line with AP.
I guess that explains why my AP group seems to think it is okay and inline with the AP philosophy to circ. Sad, b/c he is in a good position to change people's perception just by refusing to do circs.
#14 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderMae View Post
And also why I think many Sears worshipping 'AP' parents think circing is okay and in line with AP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinalonestar View Post
I guess that explains why my AP group seems to think it is okay and inline with the AP philosophy to circ. Sad, b/c he is in a good position to change people's perception just by refusing to do circs.
Well, another reason might be that sadly, AP International does NOT take a stance on circ. I tried to post on a local AP forum some anti-circ info and basically got kicked out for that (and this is "progressive" Boulder area, mind you!). The moderator of the forum contacted me directly, saying that API keeps neutral stance on circ matter. Is it crazy or what??? :
#15 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 06:38 PM

First, I'm wondering if Sears does *still* perform circ.-- I know in some of his older books, for example, he advocates some (very limited) spanking, but in the later books he takes a no-spank approach. Is it possible he performed them at one time but has stopped? Does anyone have a source for this?

Second, I am the generally the first to suspect mercenary motives... but I seriously doubt that anyone with 20+ published books and an established practice needs to perform circumcisions for money. If he does, I would *guess* that it's more for reasons such as DocsNemesis suggested-- if they are *going* to be done, it is better for them to be done well and with anesthesia.

Either way-- if someone could provide a recent source, I would appreciate it!

Aspiring to 1 Thessalonians 4:11.Wife to Dh, 2004. Mother to DD 3/07.
So thankful for our healthy baby boy, born Easter morning, 2010!
#16 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
Well, another reason might be that sadly, AP International does NOT take a stance on circ. I tried to post on a local AP forum some anti-circ info and basically got kicked out for that (and this is "progressive" Boulder area, mind you!). The moderator of the forum contacted me directly, saying that API keeps neutral stance on circ matter. Is it crazy or what??? :
Getting kick off forums for being anti-circ, what a load of BS!!! You know I almost got kicked off mine for putting Intactivist in my siggy.
#17 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 PM

I think knowing that it's wrong and still doing them is not only hypocritical, but more ethically and morally wrong than a doc that actually believes in the procedure doing them.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#18 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
I think knowing that it's wrong and still doing them is not only hypocritical, but more ethically and morally wrong than a doc that actually believes in the procedure doing them.
I 100% agree!

Do you think if we start writing him letters, he could change his mind?
#19 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 PM

I for one am writing him. There is no excuse or logical reason to sexually assault ANY child or circumcise ANY child. EVERYONE deserves the right to consent to a surgery that will harm, mutilate, and forever change their life. I always knew in my heart that Dr Sears was a 1/2 azzed wanna-be! I can't wait to write him, oooh, i'm mad! Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
#20 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaterPrimaePuellae View Post
Does anyone have a source for this?
:

I'd like to see current proof of this. If it *is* true, the poo will hit the fan (because I personally will throw it up there- Dr Sears writes for Mothering!), but just in case it's not I think I'll reserve comment until I know for sure.

Does anyone have current proof of this allegation?
#21 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 PM

This has bothered me for a long time, too. In answer to the question as to whether or not he still performs them, the circ section in the most current edition of The Baby Book is not any different than previous editions that I've read - i.e. it still sounds like he regularly performs circs.
#22 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 10:38 PM

I wonder if he tries to encourage the parents NOT to circ. and then if they are absolutely determined or they'll go "someplace else", then he does them under those circumstances only so that he can be sure it's being done in the most humane way possible (I realize it's not right or humane to do them, but he can be in control of the situation and use anesthetic for example).

I mean, if I were someone's doctor and they were determined to do something like that, I'd be so worried about my patients going someplace that wouldn't do it right, or whatever, that maybe I'd do it just to know it's being done correctly?

I don't know, just thinking out loud. Not say I agree, just trying not to hang the guy without hearing his reason.
#23 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebabies View Post
I wonder if he tries to encourage the parents NOT to circ. and then if they are absolutely determined or they'll go "someplace else", then he does them under those circumstances only so that he can be sure it's being done in the most humane way possible (I realize it's not right or humane to do them, but he can be in control of the situation and use anesthetic for example).

I mean, if I were someone's doctor and they were determined to do something like that, I'd be so worried about my patients going someplace that wouldn't do it right, or whatever, that maybe I'd do it just to know it's being done correctly?

I don't know, just thinking out loud. Not say I agree, just trying not to hang the guy without hearing his reason.
If a doctor actually states that he refuses performing this surgery because it's harmful/mutilative, I STRONGLY believe that NO parent in right mind will go for it.
If, on the other hand, they were told there is no medical reason for it, it's unnecessary, blah blah, but I do perform them with adequate anesthesia, so your baby won't be in pain, I totally see some parents going for it.
#24 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 PM

I had no idea!! I would love to see some more proof

I don't even know what to say I am/will be soo angry with him (and mothering)
#25 of 49 Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 PM

This puzzles me that he does them. They're certainly not good for breastfeeding - and that's one of his big things for attachment - and obviously they wouldn't be good for the whole attachment thing anyway...... i'm so confused.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#26 of 49 Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 AM
tlh

So Dr.Sears tells the parents it is wrong and then does it anyway?How do the parents explain that to their son?The doctor said it was wrong and we decided to do it anway and the doctor knew it was wrong and he did it even though he told us it was wrong?How would the doctor explain this?I knew it was wrong and did it because?
#27 of 49 Old 07-03-2008, 01:02 AM

"A local anesthetic can and should always be used. Painless circumcision should be a birthright. I have used a local anesthesia in nearly a thousand babies over the past twenty years. It is a safe procedure and it works. Sometimes the anesthetic will not remove all the pain, but it certainly helps."

I don't understand him. He uses the word "intact," he says there's no medical reason a few times in the section, and talks about how teasing, "look like the father," and disease make no compelling arguments.

An INTACT penis should be a birthright.

He also says anesthesia works but in the next sentence says it might not.

He's circumcised over a 1,000 babies.
:

Sears, William, M.D., and Martha Sears, R.N.. The Baby Book: Everything you need to know about your baby from birth to age two. 2nd ed. New York: Little, Brown and Company, 2003. Pg. 33
#28 of 49 Old 07-03-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neostudded View Post
I just learned this right now.
I am shocked and DICUSTED.

Same here :

Stephanie ~ Mama to Avery (7/07) & Iona (3/10)
#29 of 49 Old 07-03-2008, 02:06 AM

I'll write an actual handwritten letter if someone will provide a physical address in which to mail it.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#30 of 49 Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asunlitrose View Post
An INTACT penis should be a birthright.

:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page