Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We can certainly hope!
#32 of 34 Old 10-28-2003, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
To Whom it may Concern:

I recently read in your magazine (at a doctor's office because that was the only thing NOT already taken...I would never subscribe to your lousy rag) that 80% of the expectant mothers you polled would circumcise their sons. You must specially choose these "poll-ees" as the national average is 58% and the WHO recommends AGAINST this foolish procedure.

This makes me wonder about the typical reader of Parents' Magazine.

It also only backs up my disregarding anything I read in your publication. I think you should change the name to Shills-for-the-Doctors-who-want-to-Charge-for-Unnecessary-Surgery Magazine.

Sincerely and venomously yours,
#33 of 34 Old 10-28-2003, 09:42 PM

WOW! maybe you sould change you name to Lady Cobra!

I have heard of a great many who have written about this "poll!"

The 58.8% number was for the year 1999 and the newest numbers are out for 2001 and it shows a 3.7% drop to 55.1%. Extrapolating those numbers to come up with the percentage for 2004, only 49.6% of boys will be circumcised. This will get rid of a lot of excuses like "The Locker Room" and "everybody else does" and "it's normal." I know that it seems like this is happening very slowly but you must realize, it took 70 years to get to the point that more than 50% of boys were being circumcised and another 40 years for it to get to 92% and only 11 years to go back down to less than 50%. that's incredible progress. Once it goes below about 45% nationally, the decline will accelerate and within another 10 years it will be very rare for a boy to be circumcised. It will be difficult to find a doctor to do the procedure.

Frank
#34 of 34 Old 11-05-2003, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa_Lynn
So perhaps on the same "they will be teased" theory parents shouldn't buy their children eyeglasses if they need them? Or braces? And should make sure that every single piece of clothing their child has is the latest and greatest?

So, I should have my son circumsized, so there is nothing to 'tease' him about? makes a lot of sense... : The old 'locker room' reason was one of my family's pro-circ arguments. I told them that if they don't tease him about his penis they'll tease him about something else, and whatever happens he needs to learn how to deal with teasing anyway, so it will become a lesson for me to help him learn.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page