How did you protect him in the hospital? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 07-14-2008, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If for some reason I needed to give birth somewhere other than home, I wouldn't let the baby out of the sight of either me or a trusted stand in person (DH or a doula), whether it was a boy or a girl.

A friend of mine just had a baby in a hospital, and the baby "accidentally" gave the baby a hep vaccine on a routine nursery visit. It's not uncommon for babies to be given formula without consent, either. There's no reason hospital workers need to be alone with my baby, period.
#32 of 48 Old 07-14-2008, 06:50 PM

double post
#33 of 48 Old 07-14-2008, 07:16 PM

I made dh go with him for everything. Partly because of the circ issue and partly because I didn't want anything to happen to him. The nurses never said anything whether they had a problem with it or not.
#34 of 48 Old 07-14-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla View Post
I didn't have a problem with either of my boys (1998 and 2005) my ins didn't cover it anyway and they certainly wouldn't do something without getting paid in advance. My OB hounded me all through my PG to make sure that I knew it cost $650 and that I should start paying towards it in advance before hand.
I'm kinda new here but SIX HUNDRED AND FIFTY DOLLARS. Are they CRAZY!!!! Or maybe it's a cunning dis-incentive plan to get people not to do it
#35 of 48 Old 07-14-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraggleLover View Post
Or maybe it's a cunning dis-incentive plan to get people not to do it
Unfortunately, I think it's proof that people will do just about anything to get their sons mutilated.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#36 of 48 Old 07-14-2008, 07:28 PM

I like Nathan1097's procedure. If we were going to have another child I would do exactly what she did. The newborn T-shirt with the universal symbol for "NO" and "Circumcision" on it should be very effective. With our second son we marked his bassinet "NO CIRCUMCISION" on masking tape. This was 23 years ago, but I would still do the same today.

Unfortunately wrongful circ cases are still very common. Many of you know I am a trial lawyer. I have handled or am handling 20+ wrongful circ cases. I've worked on such cases in NY, PA, NC, MD, TX, AL, AR, IL, GA, VA, CO, IN, and KY. I started doing them in 1995. They seem to have decreased in frequency the last couple of years. But you still need to watch your son like a hawk. Saying "NO" does not always work.
#37 of 48 Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM

I was only asked once and said NO!! No one ever mentioned it again. I did read and re-read each form before signing it just in case.

I really expected to be hounded about it, considering I live in an extremely high circumcision area.
#38 of 48 Old 07-14-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoap View Post
Tragically, it happens. One that stands out in my memory in recent years was a boy a few years ago in a Winnipeg hospital. So when the devils in the hospital learned of their mistake, they spent 45 minutes trying to convince the parents to allow the operation (already finished). I think it was a nurse who blew the whistle. The parents were devastated (rightfully so!!!) and they sued the hospital successfully.

Parents, you have nothing to lose being more cautious.

P.S. The Winnipeg hospital stopped doing circ's after this... thank goodness!
A similar case happened in Peterborough, Ontario 7 or 8 years ago. (And the circ rate is very low here - I can imagine an accidental circ would be more of a risk somewhere where circ is more comon)

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#39 of 48 Old 07-14-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
This is the most litigious country in the world, trust me, no one is going to accidentally chop your sons foreskin off no matter what you read here. Those days are thankfully gone when boys were operated on as routine.
See above. It happens - even in places where circ is uncommon. I believe the cases in Winnipeg and Peterborough were "mix-ups". Written consent or not, mistakes happen.

#40 of 48 Old 07-14-2008, 11:16 PM
SMR

OP - where are you delivering in Michigan? I had my daughter at U of M and she NEVER left me.. they did the hearing test in our room, they did the pku (to my horror - as we were preparing to discharge and they remembered that it hadn't been done! grrr) in our room.. there was never any reason for her to leave my side. I'm having my boy there in September.. and he won't leave the room either! If there is need, my dh or myself will go with him at all times!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#41 of 48 Old 07-15-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR View Post
OP - where are you delivering in Michigan? I had my daughter at U of M and she NEVER left me.. they did the hearing test in our room, they did the pku (to my horror - as we were preparing to discharge and they remembered that it hadn't been done! grrr) in our room.. there was never any reason for her to leave my side. I'm having my boy there in September.. and he won't leave the room either! If there is need, my dh or myself will go with him at all times!
I delivered all 3 of mine at U of M, too. We had most things done in our room- more so the more children we had. I must say though that when Nathan was born, we had him go to the nursery for a bit after he was born only to have them bring him back. I only did this so I could sleep. I was exhausted and so were all parties involved in the birth! Unfortunately, he was given a bottle of formula and sugar water while there which I thought at the time gave him nipple confusion. My other two had binkies and bottles, though- from me- and never had issues breastfeeding, so who knows.

Congrats on your September birth- gorgous time to deliver!!
#42 of 48 Old 07-15-2008, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all SO MUCH for your suggestions and ideas!! I'll be delivering in the Grand Rapids area, and part of my concern is, my SIL had my nephew there (well both of them actually) and I was there with her when she had the youngest in March. The nurses asked her 4 or 5 times if she was having him done. (And she did have him circed, and i was traumatic for him and me -the auntie- but not his own mom! ) I can't help but be worried when they asked so much and got a yes each time... although maybe they were hoping for a no, which is why they kept asking.

At least these hormones are making me freak about something rational - my last pregnancy was spent in torment about which diaper bag to buy! No kidding!
#43 of 48 Old 07-15-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pink1blue View Post
although maybe they were hoping for a no, which is why they kept asking.
It would be really nice to think that that is what was happening - like maybe that was their very gentle way of presenting NOT circing as an option to someone who may not have even thought of not doing it.

#44 of 48 Old 07-15-2008, 03:43 PM

Onesies are a good idea, and print out papers to tape EVERYWHERE. On your wall, on the bassinet.

When we were in the NICU, I was confident that the nurses knew how to care for him properly. They were fairly anti circumcision, wouldn't do it in the hospital, etc.

However when my child was in the PICU, he was catheterized while my husband was "on duty"... but he was asleep and DS was retracted completely. I was unconsolable. Just a few days before I had let him down by allowing them to cath him for a sample- they didn't tell me it was for a sample they acted like he needed a foley put in. So over a period of a week, he was retracted twice.
So I put signs up everywhere stating if ANY handling of his penis was necessary, that I needed to be there. Not my husband, not his regular nurse, ME. The doctor made a snide remark that "Everyone knows not to retract a foreskin" but the fact of the matter was that he HAD been retracted and it wasn't going to happen again.. I was steaming.

and, he was wrong. When we moved to the pediatric floor TWO nurses asked me why you shouldn't retract a foreskin. Luckily one was pregnant with a boy and open to hearing what I had to say..

... I know its a different situation but the signs did the trick. When he was in an isolette I hung it so it would smack them in the face if they leaned over to look at him.

after these incidents, I also wrote EVERYTHING in permanent marker on the front of his med book. Cloth diapers, treated for thrush, do not retract, no artificial nipples without mom's specific consent, blah blah blah all of it. I figured the cost of replacing the binder would be less than the lawsuit they would be smacked with if they disobeyed it.
#45 of 48 Old 07-17-2008, 03:28 PM

We had our son at Sparrow in Lansing, and we didn't have any problems at all. We were asked once if we were going to have him circ'd, we said no, and that was the end of that. He stayed in our room at pretty much all times, and DH went with him when he needed to go elsewhere.
#46 of 48 Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My best advice if you are worried about it is this... right after delivery, ask to speak to the head newborn nursery nurse or the supervisor of the newborn department. Explain that you've known people who are continually asked about circumcision by every doctor and nurse doing rounds. Explain that you are strongly against circ and your son is not to be circumcised or retracted whatsoever. Advise her (or him) that you need your rest and do not wish to discuss it further, and for them to please place "No Circ" on babies chart, on the procedure board, and make sure every nurse passes this info on to the oncoming nurse during report. This will ensure that you aren't bothered with further discussion and the newborn nursing staff will know you mean business because you discussed it with the supervisor. It most likely will not make an impact on the doctor making rounds, but at least it will reduce the amount of nurses asking.
It never hurts to go ahead and place a "do not circumcise or retract" sticker or sign to place on his crib or chart. I seriously doubt they'd "accidentally" circ him by mistake but stranger things have happened. Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

I have an even better idea if anyone would be so bold to do it. Make a big banner for your room door (our patients put big wreaths and balloons on the door all the time). Have it say something like "Born perfect, no circumcision needed!" - that way all the nurses will see it before entering your room but also all the other maternity visitors and families will see it also. Maybe it will save another baby or two!

And to anyone entering a hospital to have a baby or anything else... you ALWAYS have a right to refuse a procedure or service. Always. They don't go around advertising this, but you can always decline something. If a doctor or nurse does something against your wishes it would most likely be viewed by a court of law as assault and/or battery. Some exceptions apply, of course, but you are in the hospital as a paying customer. You're not in jail. It's their job to accommodate you, not the other way around.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#47 of 48 Old 07-19-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebelle View Post
I would be more worried about forcible retraction than an unauthorized circumcision.
These may improve your odds a little:
http://tlctugger.com/images/Boutique...antCreeper.jpg
http://tlctugger.com/images/Boutique...ntBodysuit.jpg

{photos of babies wearing "Do not circumcise or retract (seriously, we'll sue)" onesies}

-Ron
HIS body, HIS decision.
#48 of 48 Old 07-19-2008, 05:30 PM

I have baby-blue polyester ankle bands that say "Do not circumcise or retract" which I give away free at my web site. Anybody wants a couple just send me a note.

-Ron
HIS body, HIS decision.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page