Easy way to say why retraction is bad? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 07-15-2008, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A good friend of mine insists that you need to retract to make sure that it gets clean and other wise you can get infections. She tells me that when she had her first son, the doctor told her that she must retract to clean it, and her son had a constant infection under his forskin. She used that as a reason why you must retract, but Im thinking that his infections were a result of her always forcing his foreskin back. I heard that a boys foreskin doesnt become detached enough to retract naturally until after the age of 3-4?

Anyway to cut a long story short, how can I sum up in a few words why retraction is unnecessary and harmful. My own two sons are not old enough to see the result of not retracting( in her words). Her son is 13, so Im guessing it was pretty common advice then to tell new mothers to retract. Anyway, can anyone help me out with this?

Sita:, busy mama to 3 busy boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 07-15-2008, 09:56 AM

medical advice has changed since her son was little, now we know that retraction causes microtears and infections... then point her to the AAP policy

You're right to be concerned, her misinformation is likely to cause problems for someone else.
Is she supportive of intactness or does she wish she circed now?

Good luck,
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#3 of 9 Old 07-15-2008, 10:55 AM

How about this one:
The foreskin is attached to the glans in the same way as nails are attached to the fingers. If you want to keep your fingers clean, what do you think is best? Peeling back each fingernail and cleaning it, or just leaving it alone and rinsing the outside with water (and mild soap, if your hands are very dirty).
#4 of 9 Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Simple logic -

The foreskin is attached like a nail is to a finger...would your friend recommend retracting your fingernails to clean under them?

Intact care agreement

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#5 of 9 Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your friend assumed doctors know it all (despite malpractice lawsuits throughout the history of time) never questioned one doctor's advice (actually misinformation!) and this unnecessary, damaging forced retraction is what caused the first "problem" and all his future-problems. I think that's what you need to say to her.

What you don't need to say to her is that she is partly responsible for not researching issue. That would just make her defensive.
#6 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 AM

I have always likened it to newborn kitten's eyes. You wouldn't force them open before it was time. They are closed for a reason just as the foreskin is fused for a reason.
#7 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTempest View Post
I have always likened it to newborn kitten's eyes. You wouldn't force them open before it was time. They are closed for a reason just as the foreskin is fused for a reason.
i think thats a vetter analogy than fingernail beds

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#8 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 11:25 AM

The kitten eye analogy is a good one. I've had good luck with the finger-nails one too. Everybody kind of stares at their hands and looks uncomfortable.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#9 of 9 Old 07-17-2008, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietTempest View Post
That makes a lot more sense- because fingernails stay fused your whole life, and there's no expectation of them separating at some point. Kitten eyes open when they're ready if they're not fussed with. Fingernails need to be fussed with or they WILL stay fused forever!

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page