Deep Breaths... Need to vent and cry :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A couple months ago, I started a job on the OB floor of a large hospital. I am not a nurse, but the position I work is called a "PCT" (Patient Care Technician).
It's basically a CNA, but with some extra training in certain medical procedures.
I do however, wish to get my BSN and work on the same floor and will hopefully be starting school next fall.

Anyway, when I took the job, I knew that I would be very disheartened at a lot of the things I would see. But I know in my heart that I want to continue to work there, because once I get my BSN I will be able to make a difference, even if it is difficult and emotionally draining to see some of the stuff, I feel like if I want things to change I have to actively DO something about it rather than sit around and complain about the way in the mainstream world.

Anyhow, the things I do right now are pretty minor as far as being involved in anything, I'm pretty low on the totem poll really. I mainly work in the nursery and care for the babies. I do the PKU tests and Bili checks and hearing screens, weights and vitals, stuff like that.
I do help with deliveries sometimes, holding a leg or assisting the nurse in a complicated birth, setting up the delivery table and cleaning up afterwards, etc etc etc.

Well I didn't know it at the time I was hired, but my job also entails assisting with circumcisions.
I had a 6 week training period in which I followed co-workers around before being put on my own.
I knew that I had the option of filling out an "objection" form with my boss, so that I wouldn't have to help out with them, but I decided to use my 6 weeks to decide if that's what I wanted to do.
If I were a nurse, it would be a no-brainer, I would outspokenly object. But since I'm "only" a PCT and basically a peon in all their eyes, it would not make any impact on any of them, and they would all assume it was because I just think it's "gross" and not an educated ethical decision they would respect or have an impact on them.

Gosh, this is getting long.

Anyhow, my 6 week training ended, and after observing how everything works, I decided to go ahead and assist with them.
To be clear, I don't actually take any part in the circ. I hold the sugar paci, comfort the baby, and stand by with suction and hold the head to the side to make sure the baby doesn't aspirate any vomit.
If me objecting would somehow make it more difficult for the circs to take place, I definitely would. BUT the truth is that, even if there is no one to assist, the doc is still going to do the circ w/o any assistant.
So the baby would get no sugar paci, no comforting, and if he vomited, it is unlikely that the doctor would have enough time to put down the instruments and get him suctioned in time.

It was a very difficult decision to make, and I know that there are still some who will flame me for making it. But I just feel that until I become an actual nurse, that my refusal will not make any kind of impact, and the babies will be the ones to suffer from my refusal to be there.

After explaining all that, the point of my thread is that I just need to vent and cry a little bit

I don't feel like I can talk to ANYONE about this. I'm not allowed to talk about work away from work, and I certainly can't talk to anyone AT work about it.
I just can't get over how SICK and BARBARIC this is. As I watch it happen, I can't believe I am actually seeing this happen in real life. I've seen all the videos before, but they don't even COME CLOSE to seeing this in real life. In real life you see the baby's face and the cries echoing and the coldness of the room. You feel his body straining and fighting against the board and the straps while you try to hold him still. You have to see him suffer all over again for the next 2 hours each time the nurse un-diapers him and pulls back the gauze to do the 15 minute "circ checks".
It's just so much worse than seeing a video online of a recording zoomed in only showing the genitals.

I HATE HATE HATE setting up and especially cleaning up afterwards. I hate strapping him down. Those torture boards are the sickest things ever invented. It makes me sick and I have to hold back the tears every time and profusely apologize to the precious baby boys as I do those horrid straps.

I think the very hardest part for me is when I am cleaning up, I have to remove the foreskin from the bell on the clamp. Almost all the docs use the gomco clamps and unlike the mogan where the foreskin is completely cut away from the clamp, on the gomco, you have to take your fingers and peel the foreskin off the metal and pull the ring of foreskin around and off the bell. Dear God, I don't know how I am going to find the strength to keep doing that. Every time I have to touch that mutilated skin with my fingers I literally feel like I am going to pass out and have to brace myself on the counter and make myself take deep breaths.
This is coming from someone who was an EMT for 5 years and has seen more blood and guts and brain matter than you can ever imagine. But that little piece of skin I have to peel from the metal.... It makes me want to curl up in a ball on the floor and cry and vomit

The other thing that I have a really hard time with, is seeing a "medical professional", someone who is supposed to PROTECT and HEAL, taking a scalpel to a healthy, perfect, strapped down infant and CONSCIOUSLY INFLICT INJURY and PAIN to a HELPLESS infant. This is not some emergent life saving procedure, it is not a "corrective" surgery. There is NO reason to cause such tissue trauma, agony, and risk of major complication other than to "look like daddy".
I mean, I see a lot of really sad stuff where I work. I've seen babies die, babies in the NICU struggling to live, I see women come in with a fetal demise and go through childbirth knowing their baby is dead. I've carried that tiny casket down to the morgue.
Those things are sad and difficult for me too, but it's not deeply disturbing and infuriating because I know that all these things were not intentional. Those things were all just sad events that no one had any control over. But when these doctors are taking their scalpels and clamps to these babies (who are perfect and healthy the way they are born), it is PURPOSEFUL and INTENTIONAL and at such a deep level of non-consent-- THAT is what is so much more disturbing to me than the deaths and other sad things I see.

I want to apologize that this thread is completely pointless other than just me venting (and about something I am choosing to experience, at that) but I just need to cry SOMEWHERE about this, because I can't anywhere else.
I feel that it would be selfish of me to deny those babies comfort and assistance just to save myself from the suffering I get from it, but DEAR GOD I don't know if I can keep this up :

I am seriously counting down the days I will get my RN so I can put my foot down and make a difference.

Thanks for listening if you've gotten this far... I'm so glad there is a whole forum dedicated to this so I know how many wonderful people like all of you are, so at the very least I know I'm not alone in my feelings. :

*ETA- I've gotten quite a few PM's asking if you can copy and paste. Even though I didn't make this post as such to be shared with parents, and I probably could have done a lot better job with my words if I were going to do it for that, go ahead and use it if you want to. I'm kind of surprised though, I didn't think it was that "good" or different than any of the other available nurses' stories out there.
But go ahead and copy it if you want to, it doesn't bother me other than make me a little embarrassed
#2 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 12:35 AM

OMG! Your post just made me sob. I can't imagine having to witness that day in and day out. How much longer do you have? I know that I couldn't do it. I couldn't even change my nephew's diaper in the hospital after she had him circumcised because I was so upset that she went through with it.
#3 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 AM

All I can say is wow. How much longer do you have to put up with this? As soon as you can I would put my foot down; make the stand fill out the objection and let people know how you feel. Perhaps that might get them thinking too.
#4 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

It will be about 3 yrs before I get my RN
#5 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

oh and the other thing I wanted to say, is that there isn't an "official" objection form.
No one else there objects to it, and there isn't any specific form for it.

It is something I would have to type up myself and hope they would accept it.
#6 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ryleigh's Mommy~ View Post
oh and the other thing I wanted to say, is that there isn't an "official" objection form.
No one else there objects to it, and there isn't any specific form for it.

It is something I would have to type up myself and hope they would accept it.
I don't know perhaps you should try to opt out now. It won't stop them but it might help you. You're not in a position now where you can really help anyway since you don't interact with the parents so if there is an option to be tasked differently that might be the way to go. Personally, I couldn't do this myself I wouldn't have done the training either (assuming it could be avoided).
#7 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 01:05 AM

At least those babies have someone there that cares that something so wrong is happening to them and is comforting them. I hope you can find a way to end the practice at your hospital.

Mom to DD ('06) and DS ('08)
#8 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 01:09 AM

You poor, poor, poor lady. I'm sobbing here, for the babies, and for YOU!!!

I have a circed son. I made a conscious decision to have him circed. I argued with the doctors(because they know nothing anyway) about having this done-because ever male that was uncirced in my family had to BE circed at 8yrs old. SO- being in my 21yr old infinate wisdom, argued with the doc because they didn't want to do it.

I take comfort knowing that the nurse (cna as well) that was there to care for Jake during his procediure was LOVING, KIND, and GENTLE with him. She talked with me for a while about it. She like you , HATED this part of the job with a passion, however she knew that someone had to love the babies even through the absolute worst.

I hope no one flames you. I hope people realize that you are HONESTLY working through HELL to help when you can.

I'm so sorry for your pain. Do you have an EAP? employee assistance program, that allows you to get in with a counselor for free and annomously(sp)??? Is there some counseling that you could seek to help you deal with this? You really sound like you need it. HUGS, and hang in there!

From the mom of two little boys, one CIRCED, one INTACT.............THANK YOU.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#9 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 AM

Talk to your manager. Let him/her know that assisting in a circ makes you very uncomfortable and emotionally you can't handle it. All NM's aren't evil, a lot of them are really there to help you out. You're not just some random PCT, you're a member of the staff and you deserve the same respect as the RN's. You help the RN's get their work done and that is invaluable.

You might have to trade another PCT (you do their clean ups/stocking/vitals if they assist with the circ's) in order to get by. First thing I learned in nursing school was "The key to nursing is being flexible." You can work around it. Talk to your manager, figure something out.
#10 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 01:33 AM

That is so sad.

Brianna, mom to my always naked and singing Faye (9/07) and my chubby baby Bronwen (10/10).
#11 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 01:47 AM

I can so identify with your pain. I, too, work in a position similar to yours -- right now just on peds, but I am cross-training to nursery and L&D later this month. I am a nursing student with CNM aspirations. I am very much anti-circ. I can't see routine male newborn circ as anything other than non-consentual genital mutilation. I am fortunate in that my regular shift is 3-11 and they don't do circs on evenings, but I'm pretty sure that I will be trained to assist when I do my day shift orientation. For a while I thought I'd just say no, that I have philosophical objections to the procedure and will do anything else for anyone else so they can be free to assist. But, I have found myself able to feed formula to babies when I felt strongly that mom should be breastfeeding them instead, so I thought maybe that I'd be able to deal with circs. But now, after reading your post, I'm not so sure. As an RN I know I'd refuse to help with them, but as an aide I don't know what difference it would make. I feel I need to get hired as an OB/nurse RN first, then make my objection known. At any rate, my heart goes out to you and I hope you're able to find your peace with this dilemma. It is one I, too, will be facing very soon.
#12 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 01:54 AM

I think you have to take into account how this is going to effect you. 3 years is a long time.

So many people think that circ is more 'ethical' or less painful now. Often the response to the videos out there on the web is.. that isn't happening today.

But it is.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#13 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 02:48 AM

I really think that you need to post this on the internet on a more mainstream site, somewhere that people "on the fence" can read it and be touched by it. You will be anonymous. You may change some lives.

Bless you. I can't even imagine how hard that would be.
#14 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 04:18 AM

Your story is so painful to read.

Contact Night_Nurse . She is a member here and frequents CAC often with incredible insight. Super smart mama, she is.

She has been in your situation, if I'm remembering correctly.

Okay,

I'm going to ask you to PLEASE report these doctors to the State Medical Board. You can do this anonymously.

Witnessing even ONE live circumcision is enough to make a sane person go INSANE either induced by the pain you're going through [I'd want to run too] or it triggers [certain brain chemical] which promotes an addictive response to "want to do it again". Some call it a "spiritual high" - something Jeffery Dahmer said once in an interview with [I forget, A&E?].

Anyways, thats probably extreme but I don't doubt it exists. Why else would it continue?

If you say NO that YOU WILL NOT be apart of this atrocity. You could very well create a chain reaction to get the others who are struggling as well to stand up and say no with you.

Your reality, for me, is hard to fully understand. I can dream up dramatic ways for you to escape and save the babies till the cows come home. I know you think NOT being with the baby is worse than the alternative.

Contact Marlyn Milos. She taped the next torture session she witnessed and showed the families as a form of Informed Consent. She got fired, but that was awhile ago. I bet you could get away with that nowadays.

Speak to others you work with. Gather a riot girl!

easier said than done, I know.
#15 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkTrance View Post
I really think that you need to post this on the internet on a more mainstream site, somewhere that people "on the fence" can read it and be touched by it. You will be anonymous. You may change some lives.

Bless you. I can't even imagine how hard that would be.
To the OP, this is a good idea I think I might know where we could get something like this posted (separate from where I previously mentioned) that could garner it a bit of attention. PM me if you are interested and we can give it a try.
#16 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post

Your story is so painful to read.

Contact Night_Nurse . She is a member here and frequents CAC often with incredible insight. Super smart mama, she is.

She has been in your situation, if I'm remembering correctly.

Okay,

I'm going to ask you to PLEASE report these doctors to the State Medical Board. You can do this anonymously.

Witnessing even ONE live circumcision is enough to make a sane person go INSANE either induced by the pain you're going through [I'd want to run too] or it triggers [certain brain chemical] which promotes an addictive response to "want to do it again". Some call it a "spiritual high" - something Jeffery Dahmer said once in an interview with [I forget, A&E?].

Anyways, thats probably extreme but I don't doubt it exists. Why else would it continue?

If you say NO that YOU WILL NOT be apart of this atrocity. You could very well create a chain reaction to get the others who are struggling as well to stand up and say no with you.

Your reality, for me, is hard to fully understand. I can dream up dramatic ways for you to escape and save the babies till the cows come home. I know you think NOT being with the baby is worse than the alternative.

Contact Marlyn Milos. She taped the next torture session she witnessed and showed the families as a form of Informed Consent. She got fired, but that was awhile ago. I bet you could get away with that nowadays.

Speak to others you work with. Gather a riot girl!

easier said than done, I know.
: to all of that. I don't know how you do it. I would go, not at all quietly, insane!

senior majikfaerie cult member
#17 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 AM

the other thing you could do to help change is to insist that hospital has a humane policy w informed consent in place and follows it
that the boys wont be comforted if you cant be there is ridiculous AND parentswould be outraged

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#18 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 AM

Wow, your story is heart wrenching but I feel as though it could make a difference. For one, anyone of us could copy and paste it to show friends/family what someone who is in a mostly objective position goes through. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. It must be so hard, especially after you've pointed out all the grusome things you have see but this is so different, it's so pointless. Glad you found an outlet for your feelings. You deserve to be able to talk about this.
#19 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 10:05 AM

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. When my second son was in the nursery for jaundice, I heard them doing circumcisions and just hearing it was enough to make my blood run cold... i can't imagine seieng it.

The one thing that concerns me about your post is the thought that you may become desensitized over time, as an involuntary protective strategy. I think you should act now before you just get used to it
#20 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 AM

Holding my newly born baby boy in a sling and looking at his sweet face as he sleeps snugged against my body .....it's a really horrendous reality to think that this happens to babies today...still.

Your post was very difficult to read. I really want to close the thread and pretend that I didn't read this but I can't.

While it's the parents that select to have this done to their children, it doesn't happen without the medical personel's willingness. While you think you have no power now, I suspect you may. There have to be others who feel the same way you do but who are silent about it. I think your voice is important. I also believe that by passively participating in the process you are passively approving of it.

I think that the people that are close to this have turned themselves off to the horror of it. One has to in order to keep participating. I don't think dealing with this amongst your coworkers is an effective place to address it because they are numb and in denial I suspect.

What impact would it have to record, either video or simply voice recording, the procedure and take it to the medical ethics board or patient advicate or another high level of administration? I see two issues here. The horrendous nature of the procedure and how it impacts the infant and the emotional damage it does to those who participate with it. You have a right to work in a job environment that does not leave you with post traumatic stress disorder.

I also question how effective you will be as a RN in swaying the opinion of parents regarding circ. I've read many posts about how nurses are to care for parents and follow doctors orders. Your job is not to educate parents to not do procedures which are lucrative for the doctors and hospitals. I think you will find your hands tied just as much as a RN as you do now.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#21 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 10:31 AM

WOW !! Hugs to you. Your heart is in the right place. Only you can know the course of action that is right for your situation. If you can stick it out until you feel that you can have an impact, kudos to you.

Often talking about it relieves the stress, and I stongly encourage you to post your story anywhere you can. Consider: www.genitalintegrity.com/blouch/ . The outside world needs to see this barbaric custom for what it is.

Bless you, and hang in there !!
#22 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM

This is the exact reason that I no longer work in any sort of L&D situations. I am a nurse and to me, the $ is just not worth it. And while I totally commend you for wanting to change people's minds as a RN. In reality, at my old hospital anyway, there was nothing that could be done. The nurses could NOT mention their personal beliefs on the subject to the parents.

Sounds like you do want to keep the job though. If I were you I would sit down and talk with the nurse manager. Tell her that you can't assist with circs anymore. Arrange help with another PCT or something. If you can't do that, then honestly, I would ask for a transfer to somewhere else in the hospital.

Could I do this for 3 years while keeping my mouth closed about it?? No. No. No.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#23 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer
Holding my newly born baby boy in a sling and looking at his sweet face as he sleeps snugged against my body .....it's a really horrendous reality to think that this happens to babies today...still.

Your post was very difficult to read. I really want to close the thread and pretend that I didn't read this but I can't.

While it's the parents that select to have this done to their children, it doesn't happen without the medical personel's willingness. While you think you have no power now, I suspect you may. There have to be others who feel the same way you do but who are silent about it. I think your voice is important. I also believe that by passively participating in the process you are passively approving of it.

I think that the people that are close to this have turned themselves off to the horror of it. One has to in order to keep participating. I don't think dealing with this amongst your coworkers is an effective place to address it because they are numb and in denial I suspect.

What impact would it have to record, either video or simply voice recording, the procedure and take it to the medical ethics board or patient advicate or another high level of administration? I see two issues here. The horrendous nature of the procedure and how it impacts the infant and the emotional damage it does to those who participate with it. You have a right to work in a job environment that does not leave you with post traumatic stress disorder.

I also question how effective you will be as a RN in swaying the opinion of parents regarding circ. I've read many posts about how nurses are to care for parents and follow doctors orders. Your job is not to educate parents to not do procedures which are lucrative for the doctors and hospitals. I think you will find your hands tied just as much as a RN as you do now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nummies
This is the exact reason that I no longer work in any sort of L&D situations. I am a nurse and to me, the $ is just not worth it. And while I totally commend you for wanting to change people's minds as a RN. In reality, at my old hospital anyway, there was nothing that could be done. The nurses could NOT mention their personal beliefs on the subject to the parents.

Sounds like you do want to keep the job though. If I were you I would sit down and talk with the nurse manager. Tell her that you can't assist with circs anymore. Arrange help with another PCT or something. If you can't do that, then honestly, I would ask for a transfer to somewhere else in the hospital.

Could I do this for 3 years while keeping my mouth closed about it?? No. No. No.
Yes to both of these posts. Please don't think you have to suck it up because you will be able to help these babies down the road as an RN. Torture or assisting in torture should not be part of anyone's job description. You have the right to stop assisting in torture and you may have the ability to change things for the better at your hospital.

Please contact Marilyn Milos for her advice.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#24 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 AM

I am really really sorry that you have to be in this position. I can't imagine. And a shout out, since you are kind of a 'neighbor.' Quirky is right, maybe the job isn't worth it. Hugs and support, mama.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#25 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to those with comments of support, especially to yarn goddess and paphia, your words really do help. I was afraid that by me posting I would get attacked and labeled as "one of them" but as fearful as I was I posted anyway because I had to get it out SOMEWHERE. I had to let it all out somewhere where everyone didn't think I was "being overdramatic" or a "wimp".

As far as starting a "chain reaction" of other people refusing to do it-- in the time I have been working there, I have been on the lookout for anyone who might feel the same way as me, and I have yet to find any possible candidates. If I remember correctly, I think my state is in like the top 3 for circ rates. All of the nurses are for circ, and if the the rare boy does manage to get out of there unscathed, the nurses will joke and mock about it. There is even this SICK song I've heard them joking sing that goes something like "whack whack whack my dick" (sung to row row row your boat) It's absolutely disgusting. There is this one nurse I especially hate. I swear she is obsessed with circumcisions. She goes on and on about how doc's so-and-so do "such pretty circs". She always assists with the circs if she is working that day. One time I heard her and a doctor talking while they were in there doing one, and I think they were joking about the size of the baby's penis or something.... There are different sizes that they use (1.1 or 1.3) and all I remember hearing is the doc laughing and saying to her "that poor baby, he should have been a 1.1 but you made me stretch him to fit the .3
I secretly plot to kill her....

But there is no one else there who feels the same way. If I refused right now I would get NO respect and they would probably laugh. Especially since I am the "new guy" yet to earn any respect, and because I'm only a cna and therefore have "no training or knowledge like THEY have". So right now, my opinion means nothing to them.
If I were to refuse it as an RN, I would be seen as an equal and they would take my stance more seriously. I wouldn't be brushed off and laughed at like I would now (or at least have less of a chance)
Also, I WOULD be able to talk to the parents more about it. Right now, I have no contact with the parents at all. The closest I have gotten, is when it's been my job to round up all the babies for the pedi rounds in the am, I will tell the parents of the boys that they will be circed at this time. I'll slip in something like "you know that this is an elective procedure and you don't have to do it? You've read on the consent sheet that it is a cosmetic procedure only, and not recommended medically?" I've found that lots of times, I will be the one taking the baby BACK to mom after pedi rounds, and the mom didn't know that baby was to be circed at that time. I just think that since they probably made the decision and signed the papers before baby was born, there might be a chance that once baby is actually here, they might change their mind. But if they are only told it's done after the fact it is too late for any second thoughts.
So far, I've had none change their mind though..

But as an RN, I could really go over it thoroughly with them before signing the consent. It is part of the standard checklist to go through with the parents. When I got to the circ part, I could REALLY stress the facts about it (leaving out any personal info). I would create the tone that it was something that is disapproved of, and that I thought they were weird for wanting it done. I would go over what the procedure entails VERY thoroughly. Etc etc etc.
The nurses are SUPPOSED to be doing that (giving informed consent) but most of them do a really piss poor job of it.

As far as posting my "story" in other places..... I really don't know. I didn't write it for the purpose of spreading it to parents...It was just something I needed to get out to vent. It seems like it would be a little too "dramatic" or "one sided" for any parent to take seriously. Don't know if that makes sense, but I have just seen so many times where people will completely dismiss information that is "too hard for them to swallow" or seems like is "out there". If something seems biased at all, they will think that person just has an agenda and is exaggerating.

Maybe I will look over it again and see how I can reword it to be more suitable for posting on those types of sites. At the VERY least I need to go back and clean up my grammar. When I typed it, everything just kind of poured out so fast for me to care about the grammar or proper sentence structure, etc. Going back and reading it, actually, it sounds like it's coming from someone with little or no education
Like I said, maybe I will look over it again and try to come up with a better way of writing everything so it is more clearly written and organized and submit it to a couple of those sites.

Thanks again to all of you for being here spreading the word and having this site available
#26 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 12:14 PM

I don't really have any words for this. I am so sorry you are going through this.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#27 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 12:27 PM

You need to share your OP with a lot of people, on mainstream lists. At least what you're going through could have an impact then.

I couldn't stand there and watch. I have nightmares. I heard a circ once, at a pediatrician's office in a supposedly anesthetized baby. I can't ever bring myself to watch a video. I know I'd have nightmares, hearing it was bad enough. It has to go against every instinct that you have....and I have to think these moms, if they knew what it was really like would do whatever they could to stop this from happening to their little boys. Maybe that's where sharing your story could help.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#28 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM

I don't think it's healthy for you to be profiting (a.k.a. employed) to do something that you find unethical. You only have to answer to yourself (and perhaps God if you believe in him). What your coworkers think doesn't matter in the long run.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#29 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 01:03 PM

~Ryleigh's Mommy~, just saw your post, and I'm sorry you are having such a hard time at work--what a hostile environment! Is there a way you can transfer to a different floor (Antenatal or Peds or something)?

Why aren't you allowed to talk about work outside of work? Confidentiality dictates that you can't discuss specific patients or name names, but you certainly discuss generalities and upsetting situations! Does your hospital have an EAP? Are there any RNs or supervisors you could discuss your concerns with? Being low on the totem pole is one thing, being totally disregarded is another entirely!

Hope your situation improves

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#30 of 50 Old 07-30-2008, 01:51 PM

I'd find a new job.
Just reading this post is difficult for me...there is no way I'd do a job that I morally and ethically oppose to. I think it could be harm to you to see that and be there for something you cannot stop.
If there is anyway you could go discuss the procedure with the parents before it's performed to give info. and/or answer any questions...maybe tell them what your job will be. Not like "Do not circ." but give info. so they can make a more educated decision...maybe encourage them to attend the circ. if that's what they choose.
I feel for you and really think there must be a different position you can find.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page