Anti-Circ Resource Email - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Instant Feedback Poll (select all that apply)
This email was helpful 26 100.00%
This email was not helpful 0 0%
It could use some work (please explain how below) 4 50.00%
After reading it, my friend/relative decided not to circ 1 12.50%
After reading it, my friend/relative is still undecided about circ'ing 0 0%
After reading it, my friend/relative decided to circ anyways 1 12.50%
I wanted this email for myself, and I won't be circ'ing 7 87.50%
I wanted this email for myself, and I'm still going to circ 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 11-17-2008, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Low View Post
...The letter is great, but...I think it's way too long...I've been well-received lately with the following short note....
Ron, that was an awesome short note!! I have to tell you, though, that reading that as a mother who was a mainstream "ew, foreskin!!" mom when I circ'd my son; that small bit of information would simply not have been enough. There were too many questions I had and I was very afraid of some wild complicated problem from having a foreskin. The circumcising doctor basically 'pressure sales'd' me into doing it, and one of the major selling points was that it could "result in a major surgery later in life with anesthetic", and how much safer this way was, and the whole bit. When I joined the MDC community, I started wondering why everyone's signature said "no circ" and wondered if "these people are nuts?? Why wouldn't they circumcise"...and then I found this forum and... : ....you get the point. Basically, I just know that if I'd gotten something like this email, I wouldn't have done it. I know it's very long compared to your short note, but even just reading a bit off the top might be enough to get someone not to, or at the very least, make them shocked enough to keep reading later if they don't have time now. I know I would have! But, as I said before, 'you' (everyone) is more than welcome to trim it however they'd like before sending it to their intended recipient. And thanks for sharing your short note anyways, because I'm sure that there are some people for which it's the perfect note to send off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsmom View Post
...I want to use it to inform my SIL about circ, but I am afraid...She is 18 and this is an unplanned (pretty uninformed) pregnancy, so I don't want to scare the crap out of her...any suggestions?...

Yeah. Risk scaring the crap out of her. There are tons and tons of things to learn about the lies that surround birth. As a doula, you have more knowledge and experience than she does as a scared 18 year old mom to be, and I'm sure she'd welcome any and all information. It's far better to go into the birth being informed, and having some knowledge and a plan of action for some common 'birth problems'. I'd start with the things most critical to the safety and well-being of the baby, including (obviously) circumcision.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#32 of 34 Old 01-21-2009, 10:59 PM

I would like to have this email. I PMed you a few days ago. Thanks! I've really been wondering and am currently having discussions with a friend who knows she's having a boy. And I want to share with my bro before he has kids.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#33 of 34 Old 01-27-2009, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I got your request and sent off the email a couple days ago. I apologize that it took awhile, I'm very very busy these days and sometimes I don't check my PM's/emails for a week or two at a time. But, check your inbox, because I remember sending it to you.

Also, for anyone who received a copy recently, I might have accidentally had my rich text formatting off, and it may have come to you without links. : If that's the case, just write me again, and I'll re-send it with the links.

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#34 of 34 Old 03-14-2009, 01:44 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this. I think I will modify it will a few more U.S. resources, but it is laid out in such an unthreatening way. It's great!

Aly - wife to Mike Step-mommy and mommy to 4 wonderful kiddos! 11, 10, 4 and 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page