Circumcision rates of puerto rico. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-01-2008, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, anyone know the rates of puerto rico? I suspect it isn't the norm.

Regards

Funky
#2 of 7 Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM

I asked a Puerto Rican about this, and his response was that most Puerto Ricans are not born in hospitals (or at least weren't - he is in his 40s). He added that those who are born in hospitals tend to be upper class, and they often circumcise.

Marnie
#3 of 7 Old 09-01-2008, 08:29 PM

Dh lived in PR until he was 10, and I asked him about this. He said that growing up it was possibly half and half. He and his brothers all were, and every single male in his family, but that he remembers seeing boys playing who were not.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#4 of 7 Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 AM

All three Puerto Rican guys I've met were intact, but three out of millions hardly constitutes a valid sample.
#5 of 7 Old 09-02-2008, 02:10 AM

My dad grew up in PR....although I have never asked or been told..I assume he and all his brothers are intact, since my dad is against RIC. He also kept my brother intact.
#6 of 7 Old 09-02-2008, 11:42 AM

I don't think Puerto Rico is a bastion of intactness like other Latin countries. My DP & his 2 brothers, born in a hospital in PR in the 70s, are all circumcised. Their mother was told that they would get cancer if she didn't do it, and of course she didn't want that to happen.

DP is 38, and moved over to the States after college in 1996. He says that he never heard of homebirth, growing up in the city of San Juan. He characterizes the climate around birth & breastfeeding as extremely mainstream, so intactness is definitely not a given there. It may be that the less-urban areas circumcised less frequently then and/or now.

His mom just moved here as well a couple of years ago, and she was pretty surprised by the thought of me not using a hospital to have a baby. She had c-sections with all 3 of her kids. Cesarean rates are sky-high there (45% was the number in 2002!)

Hopefully the rates of circumcision among the younger set are going down just like they are here on the mainland. In the 70s at least, it was just like here.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#7 of 7 Old 09-02-2008, 06:07 PM

I lived there for three years and visited maternity wards to visit friends twice. My very limited experience was that yes, circ was on the checklist before discharge. I remember one of my friends having a screaming argument to take her child home before he was circ'd. (This was also the same hospital where she labored in a room with 10 other women while her DH was not allowed in, where the baby was not allowed to room in, and where they ignored her instructions not to give sugar water, formula and a pacifier.) I believe my other friend did have her son circ'd.

Freelance Chef/Gluten Free Food Blogger and SAHM to The Boy 12/05 and The Girl 11/07.  Berkeley Girl (at heart) living and eating my way through Paris.  And yes, French wine really is that good. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page