Having a boy... to circ or not to circ? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 107 Old 12-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Fi.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread should really be stickied.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#92 of 107 Old 12-14-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fi. View Post
This thread should really be stickied.
Definitely a keeper; at least it should be kept bumped all the time.

Gillian
#93 of 107 Old 12-14-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylix View Post
BnInTheOven--One other thing to do while deciding is to stop using the term "uncirced". You are not undoing anything when you leave your baby intact. You are leaving your baby as he was born--natural and perfectly intact.
yes!! I have started saying this, I said "uncirced" a few times and then told myself, no, thats not right, I'm not the weirdo for wanting to leave my kid whole!!

Plus when you say "intact" people say "what?" then you get to explain and hopefully but a bug in someones ear about circumcision!

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#94 of 107 Old 12-14-2008, 08:28 PM

totally agree about the "uncirced"!! I always like to say..you don't call a complete brain without any missing parts "unlobotomised" do you
#95 of 107 Old 12-14-2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire and Boys View Post
totally agree about the "uncirced"!! I always like to say..you don't call a complete brain without any missing parts "unlobotomised" do you
True.. it just sounds weird like:

unamputated
#96 of 107 Old 12-15-2008, 01:53 AM

Canada is doing a little better:

The Maternity Experiences Survey, conducted in 2006 by the Public Health Agency of Canada, found an average national newborn circumcision rate of 31.9%.

The rates ranged widely across the country, from zero in Newfoundland and Labrador to 44.3%, with the highest rates in Alberta, Ontario and P.E.I.

Go Newfies!!!

mama to two DD's, 7 and 3 (3 rounds of IVF and more FET's than I can remember)
#97 of 107 Old 12-19-2008, 02:56 AM

Thank you all for your patience while the thread was being reviewed. Several posts have been removed because they discussed religion. Please keep in mine the Guidelines for posting in the Case Against Circumcision forum.

Quote:
The discussion of or reference to religion is outside of the scope of this forum. Any posts which bring any aspect of religion into the discussion are not appropriate and will be removed. Some discussions of this nature can be hosted in the Religious Studies forum which is a subforum of Spirituality, or in an existing tribal thread for the particular religious affiliation. We do maintain a list of websites in our Web Resources thread for further information on religious issues.
If your thread was removed, you will be contacted shortly and given the opportunity to edit or re-post to the thread. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

BnInTheOvn, best wishes to you on your upcoming birth
#98 of 107 Old 12-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Fi.

Quote:
The Maternity Experiences Survey, conducted in 2006 by the Public Health Agency of Canada, found an average national newborn circumcision rate of 31.9%.
I thought it was found to nationally be 10% last year? Or are they including non-routine circumcisions as well?

Jacque Savageau - Thank you for cleaning up and returning the thread - I think this is a wonderful resource that honestly either deserves a lot of bumping or a sticky. There's so much good info in here.

Long distance Mom to boarding school superstars E (9) and Layne (6).
#99 of 107 Old 12-19-2008, 02:57 PM

http://www.courtchallenge.com/refs/s...hi-2005-e.html

This is what I found that says Canada's rates are down to 9.2 in 2005.

I don't know why the discrepancy.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#100 of 107 Old 12-19-2008, 03:04 PM

Why would you sacrifice things like cold cuts, smoking, meds, or even alcohol to create this beautiful being and then cut part of him off. You work hard to make sure he is as healthy as possible. What makes you think that you need to remove a functional part of your son's body. I love that you are questioning this ridiculous procedure b/c being informed is the least we can do for our children. The more you know the worse it is. Trust me I see circs or the effects of circs just about everyday and I hate them more every time I go to work. I hate nothing more than when parents are afraid of taking pictures b/c the flash may hurt their eyes but then circ them hrs later or they do everything to stay intervention free during labor for the baby's sake and then intervene by CUTTING OFF a part of their son. It seem hypocritical if you ask me.

Now that that is out on the table I have not read through all of the thread but I am so sure you got all the info you need from this sub-forum. Think of our bodies as machines that will out live any man made machine. Everything has a function even the things we CAN live with out. The appendix which everyone seems to think has no value in the human body has been found to have some immunity significance. It has been shown to repair the flora in the gut following a bout of diarrhea. It is thought to help support the immune system of the fetus. This is not to say that people with out an appendix are $#!+ out of luck (pardon the pun) b/c the appendix is not necessary to fulfill those functions.

If the foreskin was SO INSIGNIFICANT then why has it not evolve out of the human anatomy? B/c it IS SIGNIFICANT. It has protective factors as well as having 20,000 erogenous nerve endings. When circumcising your child you are taking those nerve endings along with stripping off 50% of the shaft tissue. The glans, which is supposed to be moist to help lubricate the vagina during intercourse, becomes dried and calloused and causes friction and micro abrasions along the wall of the vagina.

The other point I will make is that you can NEVER get back what you have removed. They can go through a restoration process which from my understanding is far worse than having to be circ'd as an adult but they will never have the full benefits that being left intact can offer. You CAN NOT determine what your child will feel about this someday. He could feel resentment either way but I will NOT feel guilty about leaving the decision to him b/c as I said before you can't get it back and he has the power to make it the way HE wants it to be.

I will get off my soap box now. Thanks for listening and GL with your decision. I am sorry that I could not be unbiased.

**Meghan***Wife, Mother, L&D RN... DS Logan 9/05 DS Riley 05/07, and DS #3 Cian is here!!! 7/25 x3
#101 of 107 Old 12-19-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momongeon View Post

If the foreskin was SO INSIGNIFICANT then why has it not evolve out of the human anatomy?

And if it's so insignificant...why not just leave it alone? Why bother going through the pain of cutting it off?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#102 of 107 Old 12-19-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
And if it's so insignificant...why not just leave it alone? Why bother going through the pain of cutting it off?
Exactly!!!

**Meghan***Wife, Mother, L&D RN... DS Logan 9/05 DS Riley 05/07, and DS #3 Cian is here!!! 7/25 x3
#103 of 107 Old 12-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Dev

Here is a Male’s response…

The amputation of a male child's nerve enriched prepuce is a penile reduction surgical procedure that unfortunately still infects our civilized, capitalistic, and so-called "equal rights" society. Not only is the circumcision of male infants and young boys considered a human rights violation by many, it's a men's health issue and perpetuates an irrational belief in our country that all little boys are somehow born imperfect or faulty requiring surgical correction of their penises upon birth! This idea is a sick one and is absurd to not only me, but the vast majority of people on earth.

Evolution and God has perfected the human body making every part sacred, miraculous, useful and functional. Circumcising male children is medically unnecessary, disfiguring, disabling, unnatural, abusive, unethical, painful, and a profit driven surgical procedure confronted by parents of newborn boys in most American hospitals, especially in the mid-western states. It's a "cure" still in search of an identifiable disease. Most parents have and are given minimal knowledge about the appalling history, unjustifiable reasons, and adverse consequences of circumcision. Many parents and many physicians in America acknowledge the male prepuce as an "extra flap of skin" and are uneducated about its protective, sensory, and essential sexual functions. In my view, all lack common sense and many also lack the courage and intuition to follow their maternal / paternal instinct to protect children from easily avoidable harm, enough said.

I am grateful that the male newborn circumcision rate in America continues to decline with the current rate being about 55-60%. I am also grateful that ALL national and international medical associations do not recommend the practice of routine childhood circumcision for both boys and girls! I am deeply saddened and vitriolic that many Americans encourage and welcome circumcision surgeries for male children due to parents' personal preference and ignorance, cultural or societal influence, physicians’ profits, numerous other irrational reasons, or flip of a coin.

My heart goes out to all those mama’s and papa’s who learned too late the adverse consequences of consenting to have their little boys circumcised. I commend them for standing up and spreading the word to end the practice and protect other boys. The regret in their voices is so sincere and painfully heartfelt. Their voices need to be heard to help end the still popular practice of amputating parts of male children’s penises in the 21st century. It is highly probable that in your son’s lifetime the U.S.A.’s 1996 Federal Female Genital Mutilation Act will be amended to protect the genital integrity rights of all little boys too. What a day it will be for rejoice as well as a reflection of sorrow and regret for the millions of males who have undergone genital cutting and unnecessary amputative surgeries without their consent.

If you do your research well, I am certain you will protect your son.
Best Regards and Many Blessings to your soon to be born, perfect Intact son, Devin
#104 of 107 Old 12-20-2008, 04:15 PM

I am completely new to this site. And I am a DAD!! My son who is 6 was circ because I was uneducated in the topic before. Since I have met my current fiance, her and I have gone over alot of different topics with pregnancy, circ and homebirth. One particular topic that stuck out for me was circ. My son who is 6 again is circ but I am NOT! My fiance gave me all the cons of circ but I was still kind of on edge with my decision to our baby due in AUG! After she had shown me the video on how they do handle a circ, my face filled with sadness and tears and I held my son and apologized. For me the facts are there and I understand them, but if that didnt do it, the video alone would do it for ANYONE with a heart. To see a baby go thru all that pain and no medicine to numb it or anything... thats crazy!! and WITHOUT YOUR BABYS PERMISSION its ridiculous. Look at it this way, your son just came out of his comfort zone (your belly), hes shocked, getting poked and bothered, and than also that same day after all the shock and nonsense that is going on, they take away part of his man hood! Its ridiculous.
So if all the FACTS cant get you to make a good decision, All i ask is that you take the time and look at a video of the procedure and watch what happens. Let him make the decision when he's ready.
#105 of 107 Old 12-20-2008, 07:53 PM

newlynaturaldad... your story is very close to myself and what I did to my son unknowing... I would take that dec. back in a heart beat.

I regret circing my son, and will never harm another little boy by not accepting all of him again!
#106 of 107 Old 12-20-2008, 07:59 PM

Please don't do it. Your son was born perfect. If he wasn't supposed to have a foreskin, he would not have been born with it. Do you really want to do wound care on a newborn?

You know better now, so it's your responsibility to act on that knowledge. You owe it to your child to leave his body the way it was created.
#107 of 107 Old 12-21-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnInTheOvn View Post
I have SO MANY questions!! And my reasonings for considering it are as follows:

1. I am not a boy, don't have a boy, and have never seen an uncirced penis. I don't know exact %, but I do know that most males are circed in the US. However, I do know that it is a "European" thing not to circ (my grandfather is from Germany, and I know he is not circed and that it isn't as common over there?). But the fact that most US males are has led me to assume that there must be a reason for it.

No! It's the other way around. The reason that Europeans (and East asians, and Africans and South Americans and Australians and Canadians etc. etc. etc.) don't circ is that there isn't a reason for it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page