SO how did you learn? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-06-2009, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodMomma View Post
My younger brother is adopted and intact. But I unfortunately didn't even think of him while pregnant. Never looked into the topic at all.....circ'ed out of pure ignorance. When he was about 3 months old I stumbled upon a circ debate board and was shocked that parents actually don't circ. So I was on the board for a few days debating back and forth (ya'll know how it is, lol)....finally I couldn't take it anymore. It really started making me think. So I left the board and didn't return, didn't give the topic any thought until he was about 9 months old. I then looked into it and found the truth and ever since then deeply regretted it. So I know first hand that debates can educate.
I think it's awesome that you took time to research it and then changed your mind. I think it would be so lovely if you went back to that debate board and stated that even though you circed your son and was once for circ, that info on that board caused you to investigate and then change your position to one of "against" circ/pro intact.
I think it could be really profound in getting some of the other pro circ moms to look into the other side. It is also encouraging for those intactivist who spend time trying to educate to know what they spend their time doing really can make a difference. I've read from numerous people how frustrating it can be not ever knowing if they're making a difference. It might boost some intactivists morale or something!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#32 of 48 Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After I circ'd my baby

Alee, mamma to Leon (2) and expecting #2 May '10 :
#33 of 48 Old 01-07-2009, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleo View Post
After I circ'd my baby

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#34 of 48 Old 01-07-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamastePlatypus View Post
My lil bro was intact but I didn't know. I thought that is how they looked and then when I saw boys in my teens ( all cut) I though they grew into that.
My dad was intact, so I always thought circ'ed penises looked weird, never really gave it much thought as to why. His dad was a doctor and spent his internship doing circumcisions and decided he wouldn't inflict it on his own child.
#35 of 48 Old 01-07-2009, 12:32 AM

I learned here on MDC. I had never really given it any thought during my first pregnancy but I found myself visiting this site frequently during 2004 because I had so many questions regarding any/all aspects of pregnancy and birth, but after learning exactly what circumcision entailed and what was lost I promised myself that if I had any sons I wouldn't have them altered. I have to say, though, that after learning so much here I can't look at my significant other's genitals (he's circ'd) without feeling some remorse for his loss. I wasn't sure how he would feel about the circ argument since he's cut, himself, but he agreed with me that our son shouldn't be cut so I've kept my promise.
#36 of 48 Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Nurse View Post
I think it's awesome that you took time to research it and then changed your mind. I think it would be so lovely if you went back to that debate board and stated that even though you circed your son and was once for circ, that info on that board caused you to investigate and then change your position to one of "against" circ/pro intact.
I think it could be really profound in getting some of the other pro circ moms to look into the other side. It is also encouraging for those intactivist who spend time trying to educate to know what they spend their time doing really can make a difference. I've read from numerous people how frustrating it can be not ever knowing if they're making a difference. It might boost some intactivists morale or something!
Thank you! I did go back to that board and thanked everyone for making me open my eyes and look into it....even though it took a few months. I was a proud member of that board for awhile until it eventually died. I have educated numerous moms on the subject....my sister included....my nephew is intact because of me. I love getting the rare e-mail or message from someone thanking me for making them think and looking into it. I once ran into a mom on a board and her son was about a year old. She told me it was because of me that her son was intact....and I hadn't talked to her since she was pregnant. So it's nice knowing you can change some.

Me Hubby
Colin 1/13/04 Elena 1/18/07
#37 of 48 Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Not really sure when I first became aware of this. My mother was always very frank about all things related to genitals and sex, so maybe from her? I have a sense that my brother is intact, but not sure where I get that sense. It would surprise me if my father was, taking into account when and where he was born.
I honestly can't remember which of my sexual partners before my husband were which, I don't think it ever registered with me all that much.
Anyway, when it came time to think about these things when I was pregnant, not circumcising was a pretty easy one for us. My husband is English and intact. Across the pond, if there's no religious reason to do so, you don't circumcise. I also kind of always thought that, if you were born with it, there must be a reason to have it there, so why take it off?

Massage therapist and artist, wife to English DH since 2002, Mummy to Oliver Finn 10/20/07 and Eamon Anthony 12/2/2010
#38 of 48 Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 PM

I am very glad that Oregon Medicaid does not pay for it, because that is what made me give it any thought at all. Every male I had known till then as far as I knew were circed. It was just what you did.
Turns out the main reason my DH is circed is because his dad is not, was not really wanting it done and it was another way for my MIl to annoy my FIL. She was already planning on divorcing him and did several things just to be mean.
So when I asked my DH if there was any reason that he had that we would want to pay out of pocket to have this done. He said there was not. I love my DH so much for this.
Though it still took till I was pregnant with #2 to really relize how horrid of a thing this is and what a wonderful thing it was that we saved #1 from having it done.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#39 of 48 Old 01-08-2009, 12:53 AM

DR asked if we were going to do it and DH and I decided that it was kind of a dumb thing to do to our kid.

DS1 was born in OR in 1998 but the fact that we would have had to pay wasn't the deciding factor, we wouldn't have done it if it were free.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#40 of 48 Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM

There were three things that caused me to learn about circ.

The first was when I asked my older brother if he was circ'ed. He said he wasn't, and he was glad he wasn't. That made quite an impression on me.

The second was when I was pregnant with my first. My midwives were very anti-circ. and educated me. So, I ended up with two intact sons. :

The third was when I stumbled across MDC. This is what really made me into an intactivist. Even though I had left my sons whole, I never knew that the foreskin had so many functions! The research just hadn't been done yet. (My sons were born in the 70's and 80's.) I also didn't know the proper care of an intact penis. : My sons survived my ignorance, thank goodness, and they are now grown men.
#41 of 48 Old 01-10-2009, 01:10 AM

I was lucky enough to be part of a non-circing family (in the US!). So, when I had my son, it wasn't even something I considered. My father and brothers were obviously fine without having anyone cut off part of their penises. Why would I do it to my son? Seemed unnecessary and callous. Well, to put it bluntly, it seemed stupid and cruel.)

If only everyone were so lucky.... One day....

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#42 of 48 Old 01-10-2009, 06:36 PM

I went to what I thought would be an anti FGM talk while still in highschool, it was at a barnes and noble by this American academic. She totally threw me by saying FGM was perfectly acceptable from a cultural relativism view. I see this as totally invalid because MGM is such a huge part of my culture and it is obviously wrong. Things can be wrong no matter what, and FGM and MGM are some of those things.
#43 of 48 Old 01-10-2009, 09:04 PM

An ex-boyfriend was intact and he explained to me how his mother(who was a nurse) insisted that he stayed that way as it was unnecessary. My husband is also intact, so there was no argument to be had whether DS would be or not. Then I saw the procedure and that solidified that DS and our future DS will not be getting it done unless they were an adult and were making the decision themselves.

Mom to DS#1 and DS#2 fencing.gif
#44 of 48 Old 01-10-2009, 09:11 PM

When I was pregnant with my first I was researching everything. I would read and read, and then book mark or print stuff for Dh to read so we could figure it all out together. He decided he was wanting in on the research and asked me for a topic I had yet to get to. I thought and said you have a penis you do the leg work on circing. He came home the next day, handed me a pile fo stuff and said that there was no way in h### We were circing. Told me I was welcome to read but he wasn't budging. I read it and agreed.

Jenese Mama to Elliot 8/05 and Millie Jane 7/07 and Cecilia Kate 1/11
#45 of 48 Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 PM

My husband and family are from a different country with no circing. I thought we should and he said, no way, no point. I just kind of went along with it and felt a little relieved that we wouldn't do this to our baby boy. I read up on the facts after he was several months old and I am so relieved and grateful. Now I have 2 intact boys and share my knowledge with whoever (whomever?) wants to listen!
#46 of 48 Old 01-10-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJenese View Post
When I was pregnant with my first I was researching everything. I would read and read, and then book mark or print stuff for Dh to read so we could figure it all out together. He decided he was wanting in on the research and asked me for a topic I had yet to get to. I thought and said you have a penis you do the leg work on circing. He came home the next day, handed me a pile fo stuff and said that there was no way in h### We were circing. Told me I was welcome to read but he wasn't budging. I read it and agreed.
Sounds like a very cool guy!

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#47 of 48 Old 01-11-2009, 03:22 AM

I happened upon having intact sons on accident. My 13-year-old was born in a hospital (Native American) that did not offer circ'ing at all. We were young and poor and could not afford to take him elsewhere so he was never cut, thank Goodness. Fast forward to my second marriage and my second son. I played the "I don't want him to look different from DS1" card and my DH was 100% fine with it after a little research. So fast forward to DS3 and again we thought, why ruin a good thing, we have done the researach, there is no reason for the procedure, so now we have 3 boys, all intact, no problems or complications ever and we don't regret our decisions at all. I'm opened-minded about a lot of things but not about this. His body, His decision!!! It seems insane to me that there women that act like they are all about human rights (such as natural birth, homebirth, etc.) but think circ'ing is a "personal" decision. I say this from personal experience and the hypocracy still astounds me. So he should come into this world with dignity and respect but after he is born, we have the right to take that away? No thanks, keep your $1600, and I will make sure to not recommend you to anyone who asks!
#48 of 48 Old 01-12-2009, 02:46 AM

I never thought about it while I was pregnant. We didnt find out the sex until he was born.
When he was just a few hours old a nurse came in and asked 'are we going to circumcise him?' I said 'no' because I hadnt even thought about it.
They asked me several different times, and I just kept saying 'no' without knowing why really. Mainly I didnt want him taken away from me at all, I was able to keep him in the bed with me the entire time I was at the hospital, any exams for him were done with me holding him (like the hearing test).

So when we got home I looked it up to see how the procedure was done and jeeze there was NO WAY I would do that to my perfect little boy and I was soooo glad I trusted my instinct and just said no.
My dad told me 'I better get it done before he gets too old' and I showed him a circ video and he shut up about it.
None of my family has asked me about it for a long time until a few weeks ago when my sister said something about it - I explained to her some of my research and she went 'ewww' when I told her how they did it and said 'thats dumb that people do that to their babies then' (she is 19...usually she rolls her eyes when I get to into advocacy stuff)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page