Need HELP dealing with urologist... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 12-20-2003, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good point! Thanks for bringing that up Jane.

Cathertization has been used as an excuse for circumcising men. As a matter of fact, a man in his late 50's was circumcised in New Jersey during abdominal surgery a few years ago without his consent. He sued and won a paltry amount. The doctor said he couldn't be cathertized unless he was circumcised. Of course, this is a crock of you-know-what!

It is a little more difficult to catheterize an intact child but not much more. There are also external male catheters that are essentially a condom with a tube coming out the end. They are simply slipped over the penis and taped in place. As a matter of fact, I would demand an external catheter. The standard catheter can introduce bacteria into the urethra or bladder causing a UTI and this would not happen in the case of an external catheter. The only reason that I can see for using an internal catheter is if they are taking a urine specimen and need to avoid contamination or if they are preforming surgery on the penis. (Such as hypospaidius repair) Most hospitals will probably not stock external catheters and will need to order them. Dragonfly, I would bring this to the surgeon's attention at least a couple of weeks before the surgery and make them show you one before the surgery begins. This is one of those things that can be "convienietly forgotten" and would not be used and you would probably be told that it was and had been used when in fact, it had not.

Of course, the doctor is going to say "You just don't understand these things. You need to just let us do our job."

Frank
#32 of 35 Old 12-20-2003, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jane
Are catheters routine during surgery under general anesthesia? If so, you need to be careful about specifying that they don't retract him to put in the catheter. Or isn't there an outside-the-ureter catheter (like a baggie) they can do? Frank, what's the deal here with what Dragonfly needs to know about this?
It is my understanding that at this point his foreskin can be partly retracted...if so, when it is partly retracted can you se the opening of his urethra? If so the insertion of a foley would not be a huge issue to a sensitive nurse...if s/he can expose the urethera s/he can insert the foley. they may fuss about it because it is suposed to be a sterile proceedure and the foreskin is supposed to be fully retracted for it...but those rules were set out in the"bad ol' days" and if you consider women don't need any major remodel for a sterile cath to be inserted....

a baggy cath, known as a "texas catherter" is likely to cause objection for getting in the way of the operative field. the main use is to collect urine samples in diaper wearing children.

I wish you luck dealind with this...I hope your pedi is willing and able to go into the OR to advocate for your son, otherwise I am really worried...landmines in every stinking proceedure!
#33 of 35 Old 12-20-2003, 03:07 PM

I just talked to my son (dr.) and he said here is what you should ask very specifically:

1. about the benefits or the procedure or surgery

2. all or any aternative therapy (this should be elaborated and examined thoroughly; don't accept a vague explanation)

3. what exactly is the expected outcome

4. have the surgeon explain exactly the procedure in detail

My son is a surgeon and he always shows a video while at the same time explaining the procedure. He spends about 2 hrs. or loger with each patient before doing any surgery.
#34 of 35 Old 12-21-2003, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by madrone
BTW, the urologist circumcised him just for the heck of it during the surgery. His foreskin was retracting.

I'm so sorry some folks think that since they've gone to school "longer" than others they are therefore so much more intelligent than those others. :

#35 of 35 Old 12-21-2003, 06:10 PM

Madrone,thats horrible that your dh was circed by the urologust with no consent involved.I hope he eventually sued the jerk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page