What was your first thought on circumcision? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What was your first thought on circumcision?
I didn't want to do it. 142 100.00%
I wanted to do it. 26 100.00%
I didn't know either way. 34 100.00%
I figured I wouldn't but wanted to research it. 30 100.00%
I figured I would but wanted to research it. 22 100.00%
I wanted to let the father decide. 24 100.00%
Other. 12 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 83 Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always knew I wouldn't even before I did the research. After doing the research I became an intactivist though.
#62 of 83 Old 02-28-2009, 03:00 PM

I'm European. I was 25 when I first saw a discussion on circing on a US forum. It took me awhile to really understand what was being discussed (in my country, only the very few really really REALLY strictly observant Jews and Muslims do a little symbolic snip, often on somewhat older boys), and when I did, I was SHOCKED!

Why would girls prefer a circed penis? I don't get it. ANY thoughts?
#63 of 83 Old 02-28-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcrit View Post
I don't think 'girls' have any interest in penises at all. However, women who are attracted to men and who know or have experienced the difference (according to research I found through mothering) prefer intact penises.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#64 of 83 Old 02-28-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I don't think 'girls' have any interest in penises at all. However, women who are attracted to men and who know or have experienced the difference (according to research I found through mothering) prefer intact penises (all other factors in choosing a sexual partner aside).

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#65 of 83 Old 02-28-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
I don't think 'girls' have any interest in penises at all. However, women who are attracted to men and who know or have experienced the difference (according to research I found through mothering) prefer intact penises (all other factors in choosing a sexual partner aside).
Of course, I meant 'young women', not little girls

Someone mentioned a reason for circing was that women prefer it that way, and I was wondering why would a woman feel that way? And, ummm, what would a woman do with a circed penis during foreplay, if it's not too indescreet a question?
#66 of 83 Old 02-28-2009, 08:23 PM

When my DS was born, I had NO IDEA that there was such a strong following of anti-circumcision. My son will be 4 in June, if that helps with timeframe. My mom was a nurse, and she advised me about all the benefits of circumcision. I just remember my mom telling me that my younger brother was not circ'd at birth because my dad insisted he not be circ'd. (my older brother was, against my dad's wishes, so I think my mom wanted to let my dad choose the second time). Anyway, my brother ended up having a lot of infections and so at age 3 or 4, he had to be circ'd anyway. I just always assumed that people were correct in saying that it cuts down on infections, and lowers prostate cancer risk. I really honestly didn't think much more about it. I read a couple of papers on the pros and cons, (provided by insurance company) and decided that pros outweighed the cons for circumcision. So my son was circ'd and even though it was not a very good experience (the plastic ring never fell off on its own like its supposed to, so eventually the doctor had to cut the ring off! GASP!).

I have a daughter now, too, and would love another boy or two. So, when I ran across these threads on this discussion forum, it naturally caught my attention!

OK...so, I don't want to sound like an idiot, and I'll try to not worry about being embarrassed...but there are some things I don't understand about the foreskin. I've seen posts which talk about it retracting on its own when they get older. I don't really understand all of this. My husband was circumcised, and he's the only man I've ever been with. Not knowing much about the foreskin, I can admit that I can't imagine what it would be like if my husband were not circumcised. Though many have posted about women not really knowing the difference.

At the risk of sounding like a freak...are there any "medical" type websites that have pictures of what the penis looks like w/ or w/out foreskin...what it looks like before it retracts...something that explains it all...I'm really having a hard time picturing all of this. I kinda remember what my son looked like before he was circ'd. After what I've been reading, I'm pretty sure I won't circumcise another boy...however, I'd really like some exact anatomical information, I guess is what I'm looking for.

PLEASE! help me make the RIGHT decision should I have another boy!

Thank you!

Jennifer
#67 of 83 Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 PM

Before I had my son, I was good friends with a nice MDC mama who circ'd all three of her boys because she didn't want them to look weird to women someday... I remember looking at her and thinking, "You're NUTS!" A few months later, we conceived DS and when I found out he was a boy, I wondered what kind of freak woman would someday sleep with my son and give a rat's butt about a flap of skin on his penis if I did a GOOD job raising him as a man. If someday, a woman cares then clearly she isn't the right woman for me son. And I'll chase her out of our lives with a rolling pin.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#68 of 83 Old 02-28-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Someone mentioned a reason for circing was that women prefer it that way, and I was wondering why would a woman feel that way? And, ummm, what would a woman do with a circed penis during foreplay, if it's not too indescreet a question?
Honestly, I've never seen a NON-circed penis on a man. That's not a matter of preference...it's a matter of the three penises I've had personal experience with (or, one could argue, the circing trend for babies in the late 70s and very early 80s). I *assume* you do exactly the same things to a penis whether circed or not.

I understand the non-circ stance and I didn't circ my son, but I feel the need to point out that the circed guys I've met haven't exactly been numb "down there"...they feel plenty. (NOT AN ARGUMENT FOR CIRC...just an observation)
#69 of 83 Old 03-01-2009, 06:11 AM

I don't have any children yet, but I grew up thinking of intact as normal because my brothers both are, thanks to my awesome mom! She's taught me to question the norm, and circumcision has definitely become a part of that.

Once I actually heard the details of it and saw how many people in the US just went along with it, it blew my mind. I can never fathom doing that to my children. Joining MDC has made me even more passionate about my views against circumcision and helped me to spread the intactivism to my best friend.
#70 of 83 Old 03-01-2009, 10:10 PM

I went into the research having decided that I wouldn't do it, UNLESS I could find a clear, compelling reason backed up by good research, that PROVED it was a good idea. I couldn't find that, of course. So we didn't do it.

My DH was very open-minded about the whole thing. He's circed, but that's about all he knew about the issue. I brought it up, he said he really didn't know anything, so he looked at the information and agreed with me. I didn't have to convince him at all.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#71 of 83 Old 03-02-2009, 03:17 PM

I never even considered it. My brother wasn't circumcised (in 1963 - go mom!), and it always struck me as a really cruel thing to do to a baby. I saw a picture of a freshly circumcised penis during prenatal classes, which just reinforced my feelings about it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#72 of 83 Old 03-02-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamus View Post
Honestly, I've never seen a NON-circed penis on a man.
Me, either. As far as I know, intact penises in my generation were/are very rare.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#73 of 83 Old 03-03-2009, 04:48 PM

I naturally had a strong aversion to circumcision. It got stronger as I researched the topic and talked with mu mother who deeply regretted her decision to circ my younger brother.

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#74 of 83 Old 03-07-2009, 09:19 PM

Thank you very much for the links. I will check them out. Since I left that post, though, i read mothering.com's article on the Case Against Circumcision, and have not been able to stop crying since. That was a week ago and I'm really struggling to make peace with what I did to my precious little boy. I absolutely will NEVER EVER do that again to future boys and will do my best to speak out against circumcision, especially to my family and friends.

I think the links will still be helpful for me to get a better understanding, but my mind is made up AGAINST circumcision!

Again, thank you!

Jennifer
#75 of 83 Old 03-07-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Of course, I meant 'young women', not little girls

I've never had experience with an intact penis. DH is my first and only, and unfortunately he was circ'd when he was 3. He was a preemie so they wouldn't do it at birth. His Mom got him circ'd when she had saved enough money to have the procedure done. I wish he was intact....he is working on restoring, but it's such a slow process!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#76 of 83 Old 03-08-2009, 12:09 AM

Hi, we ask that members do not post sexually graphic links.

Even with disclaimers, we do not wish to host links of this nature. Thanks.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#77 of 83 Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM

When my first son was born I was 17 and very much alone, I didnt have any insurance and the hospital( small country hospital) wanted $40 to do it then. I didnt have it so I didnt do it. 6 years later when my 2nd son was born I by then had researched(mainly because everyone told me I had done something worng with my first son, you know all the same people who made me deliver alone...) and found that I was right not too. Thank God for being poor I guess. I have had 5 sons ( I have an angel son who would have been 5 in September) and none have been circed. My xh didnt like the idea, he was circd, his mother made it her business of course. But we all know how most mil's can be. In the end I won, probably more so with my second son because I had a woman midwife and she explained many things to him better than I in a hormonal state and being very aggravated with his mother could. He decided we were right. All 3 of my sons born after, his mom always asked if we were going to make sure he was clean this time or not though: hehehe, I would just say, dont worry, its not contagious
#78 of 83 Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 PM

In the beginning I was just going to do it because it had never occurred to me that it was wrong or that it was anything damaging. All the males in my family are circ'ed, and DH endured some teasing because he wasn't. So we were all about doing it if Baby turns out to be a boy.

Then I found MDC.

We are no longer planning to circ and I am doing my best to spread the word about the harm it can do.

ETA: While in the process of convincing DH to leave any future little boys intact, I uh.. 'showed' him what it would be like during foreplay if he were not intact... I think that may have been the clincher...
#79 of 83 Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM

I am going to be completely honest here. I never thought about if we would or wouldn't. I had never even heard the word intact(until I came to MDC)or seen an intact penis EVER. So I honestly(please no flames)just thought it was something that everyone did. I know so much more now!! There is no way if I ever had another son in the future that he would be circ'd EVER, PERIOD. I am glad I have researched this subject and whenever there's a chance, I pass along the knowledge I have gained. I regret that this procedure happened to my DS. And of course I will be talking about the issue with him when it arises!
So I voted other, b/c I didn't even consider the subject.( I just didn't know.....

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#80 of 83 Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 PM

I voted, "didn't want to do it", but that's not totally it. I knew I would never do it (leaving intact is the norm in my family), but in the beginning, before researching it, I didn't really care if other people did it, I didn't have any feelings of activism around it. It was more of a "I won't, and I don't get why others would, but oh well". Once I saw one picture of a baby in a circumstraint, I flipped completely to "omg, why? and how can I get more people to know about this?"

R~mama to 3

#81 of 83 Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM

i am like a couple of the PP's in that i 1) didn't know any better, 2) was very, very young when i had DS, 3) didn't give it much thought b/c i thought it was one of the 'normal' things that one did when having a child...along with the cocktail of vaxes. :

thankfully, DS is a healthy boy - almost a man - now, but if i could go back and do it differently, i would.

semi-crunchy mama to 1 unschooly, sometimes unruly, but mostly sweet and cool DS (17)
student reiki practitioner and aspiring /
#82 of 83 Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 AM

My first thought? No way in hell.

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
#83 of 83 Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 AM

I put other. I never even thought about it. It's not done here in Europe and I never considered it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page