Intact Art! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-21-2003, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've long wanted to find some tasteful, intact nude art to display in my home, and though people have suggested ebay, what I find in a search for 'intact art' or 'intact male' is either jewels (ironic, huh?) or nothing.

Today, while looking for something else entirely, I found a painting by Paul Bridgstock that's pretty tasteful.

If anyone else has any sources/artists, please let me know--but it needs to be tasteful and appropriate to display in a family home--nothing that is clearly intended to be on the wall of a chic loft in New York City. . .
#2 of 14 Old 12-21-2003, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Oops--thanks for the correction, folks!
That's Peter Bridgstock, not Paul!
(at least I didn't say Mary)
#3 of 14 Old 12-22-2003, 05:18 AM

:LOL
#4 of 14 Old 12-22-2003, 09:05 AM

There's always Michaelangelo's "David." How much more classy and classic could you get? I don't know about a reproduction, but I have seen photographs. Maybe you could find a poster to frame.

Frank
#5 of 14 Old 12-22-2003, 10:28 AM

Did you try here

http://www.circumstitions.com/Art5.html

I don't know if those are for sale, but it might could help you in your search.
#6 of 14 Old 12-22-2003, 06:53 PM

Intactivism (or Circumstitions) also recommends a book series by Sherwin Carlquist. They are nude photographs of men who are intact and who have no scars, tattoos, or tan lines. The titles are
The Natural Male
Natural Man
Man, Naturally
Man/Nature
You can probably find them on Amazon.

There is that book by Jock Sturges, with both males and females. It's the one that Barnes and Noble wouldn't sell in the 1990's.
I'd be perfectly comfortable with it on the coffee table, if I could find it for sale. I don't know the title.
#7 of 14 Old 12-23-2003, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, would that I could afford an original Hockney or Picasso.

I've seen some of the Carlquist photographs (being of the decidedly retro opinion that men should only shave their bodies if absolutely necessary to reduce drag!)

But I'll have to check out the other title--I'm not a B&N fan!
#8 of 14 Old 12-23-2003, 12:49 PM

Teresa- I am so glad that you are working to get some more art in your home! Forget intactivism for a second... Art is Important!

The great masters are always going to be a wonderful source of art prints, Davinci's vitruvian man, Raphael's little cherubs, Donatello has a great David too...he's more boyish,

http://www.artofcolour.com/leonardo-...ruvian-man.jpg

http://www.mike-reed.com/images/Trav...0-%20Donatello's%20David.jpg

I think you could spend a lot of time surfing through the allposters.com website and find lots of stuff that is your style...

but- why buy a print?

Why not put up a poster near an art school advertising what you want- anyone who takes a figure drawing class will churn out tons of drawings and I am sure someone would like to convert some of that to cash. You can probably buy an original charcoal drawing for less than an print, and you will wind up with something that has a real spirit to it... I believe that there is more to a piece of art than simply the colors, and a print can only capture that- but the spirit always stays with the original... (that's why you always feel shocked to see an original in a museum because the reality of what was not communicated by reproduced pictures in books is always a surprise)

Also- another option to consider is to take a life drawing class! That is a LOT of work, and might be very frustrating (even artists gat balky sometimes about life drawing) but it also might be very rewarding.

As an aside to the search you are currently on-
I think that it is really important to support artists by buying original art and keeping art as a part of your everyday enviornment and world.

Love Sarah

http://www.figuredrawings.com/academicdrawings.html
#9 of 14 Old 12-23-2003, 02:38 PM

Ditto Sarah's idea!

Ask any artist you know.
#10 of 14 Old 12-23-2003, 05:32 PM

Quote:
There's always Michaelangelo's "David." How much more classy and classic could you get? I don't know about a reproduction, but I have seen photographs. Maybe you could find a poster to frame.
Sorry Frank, he's clipped!
My home town has a reproduction in a park (OH the scandal of a nakey man in the middle of Sioux Falls, SD!!! ~ another thread!) and because we regularly see him (and ask if he's cold, or to shout "Put on some clothes" etc), I had to check out his penis ~ well it is right there! Indeed, his drawstring has been trimmed (as in a *traditional* bris) and part of his glans is visible. He's still beautiful and he does still have SOME of his foreskin, but not complete/intact!
~diana

~diana google me: hahamommy. Unschooling Supermama to Hayden :Super Cool Girlfriend to Scotty . Former wife to Mitch & former mama to Hannahbear
#11 of 14 Old 12-24-2003, 10:06 AM

Dianna:

Your post caught me by surprise. That's because I have seen discussions about the sculpture and the form of David's foreskin and why Michaelangelo did it the way he did. I just had to go find a photo of the original sculpture to see where I had heard wrong. It appears that the artist that produced the reproduction took some artistic license for midwestern sensibilities or his own victimhood. As you will see from this photograph, David is clearly "One of the boys in the hood!"

http://www.anthroarcheart.org/tblm36.htm

Frank
#12 of 14 Old 12-29-2003, 03:20 AM

#13 of 14 Old 12-29-2003, 02:24 PM

laila! Thanks so much for that link of the David scan!! that's great... I hav looked for so long to find a good picture of David's member and none compare to that scan. I have seen "him" in person but it was a long time ago and I wasn't out to document if his foreskin covered his glans.

http://graphics.stanford.edu/projects/mich/

if you go to the header page from that project you will see a photo of the Marble quarry in Pietrasanta... which is where I used to live... the mountains look like snowcaps... but it's really sugar white perfect marble rock cliffs.. an amazing landscape.

Love Sarah
#14 of 14 Old 12-29-2003, 02:39 PM

Sarah - You're Welcome.

It certainly is georgeous landscape!

It was my understanding that he was clipped according to the precarious intricacy required when using a flint knife in days of old, as in a sliver of skin just from the very tip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page