How do I care for the intact penis? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-29-2003, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The decision not to circumsize was easy for me and DH, we were both in agreement... leave it be! But it has occured to me now that he's nearly 5 months old that I don't know how to care for it or if there is even anything special I should be doing.

Can you mommas enlighten me as to the proper care of an intact penis? Do I have to clean it in a certain way or just leave it be?

And what is this I hear about retraction? What is it, when does it happen, who is in charge of making it happen, etc etc.

Thanks!
#2 of 4 Old 12-30-2003, 12:16 AM

Hi Erin! Welcome!

The infant intact penis is simple to clean...a simple wipe of the outside during diaper changes and a swish in the tub at bathtime is more than sufficient. I'm sure you've been doing as much as is required!

In previous times, doctors erroneously recommended that the infant foreskin required retraction (retracting the foreskin back over the glans ("head") of the penis) in order to "clean" underneath.

It is now known that the infant foreskin is in fact fused to the glans at birth (kind of like a nail is fused to the nail bed) and remains so for many years (anywhere from birth to puberty is a variation of normal). It is believed that the penis is not fully developed at birth and that the foreskin protects the sensitive internal component of the penis from exposure to clothing and contaminants (read "poopy" diapers, et al).

Premature retraction can cause all sorts of problems (not to mention pain), such as tearing, infection and acquired phimosis (where the foreskin develops scar tissue and cannot be retracted at all). The best rule of thumb for retraction is that your son should be the first and only one to ever retract his foreskin. Only HE knows how far back is comfortable for him.

Over the next few years, the bond between the foreskin and glans will break down. Smegma is a product of this breakdown. It is a combination of shed skin cells and secretions and may show up as a white, cyst-like lump under his foreskin which will work its way out from underneath on its own. After separation has occurred, the foreskin will seem more "slack", but often will still not retract over the glans. The second step to retraction is that the preputial opening (the opening of the foreskin) must "widen" or "loosen" enough to enable the glans to fit through the foreskin. Both of these steps are helped along by erections and the enevitable "playing" that your son will do.

Once your son does become fully retractable (usually around 5, but as stated previously, this is simply the average age), he should retract the foreskin occassionally during bathtime, rinse with water and replace the foreskin over the glans. I don't think it is necessary to demonstrate this (especially if he isn't fully retractable at an age where he will start to feel uncomfortable with you or your DH around at bathtime)...matter-of-fact words should suffice. It isn't until puberty where daily rinsing in the shower is more of a requirement (kind of like armpits)

Here are a few links that will provide you with more information:

http://www.mothering.com/10-0-0/html...rcson103.shtml

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/

Congrats on your sweet newborn son I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job taking care of ALL of him!

Cindy

Lindsey (96/02/26)
Jason (00/06/08)
#3 of 4 Old 12-31-2003, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! This was very helpful!
#4 of 4 Old 12-31-2003, 06:54 AM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page