News story on FGM - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-10-2004, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/01/1....ap/index.html

Thought this article was interesting. Too bad our laws don't recognize that circumcision of males is just as bad! :
#2 of 4 Old 01-11-2004, 03:59 AM

Someday there will be articles written like this one but about male circumcision.

#3 of 4 Old 01-11-2004, 12:23 PM

How about a little background on one of the men arrested?

Todd Cameron Bertrang was arrested about two years ago for performing male circumcisions and was charged with being a non-licensed person performing medical procedures. I never heard the verdict of that case but I did notice that he is being held without bail. Apparently, he did not learn his lesson and the court felt that he could not be trusted if he were released. I have to agree with them.

Bertrang also passes out "Truthful and non-biased information about circumcision to expectant parents." He is also a member of circumcision fetish groups.

This should be a clear message to parents to be very careful of the sources of circumcision information. You can say anything on the internet and there is no requirement that it be truthful or that the source is not a sexual deviant.

Frank
#4 of 4 Old 01-11-2004, 01:11 PM

Interesting article, Jennifer - thanks for posting it.

I really, really don't get people who get offended at comparisons between FGM and RIC. I mean, I guess I do understand, but the logic escapes me. Surgical alteration of normal genitals has got to be wrong, no matter what sex the child, as far as I can see.

Jennifer - where in Alaska are you from? I went to high school in Eagle River (right outside Anchorage) and my parents still live there... (sorry - T )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page