Red line down penis - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was doing a diaper change just now and noticed a red line down my son's penis, from the head all the way to the base (he is 4 months old) I have never seen it before, is this normal? what would it be? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Oh and it does not seem to hurt him at all. Thanks!
#2 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 02:40 AM

Is it on the bottom of his penis? If so that line is called the raphe and it is normal for it to be red. Sometimes more than others. It can get infected but that is very rare. It is where the genitals grew together in utero like a seam for lack of a better description.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

its more on the side than the bottom

dh says side bottomish
#4 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 02:47 AM

Well it could be just the way his penis was laying in the diaper. Or it might be the start of something it is really hard to say.

Is it raised to the touch or under the skin more?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

It might be just the way his diaper was, I will keep an eye on it for a few days and if I continue to worry I will take him to the doctors, and I did not really feel it so I would say under the skin. Thank you for responding.... I was really worried at first
#6 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 03:15 AM

Wish I could have been more help. I hope that it is all gone soon.

#7 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 05:04 AM

Sounds like the raphe to me too.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#8 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 12:26 PM

The raphe is rather irregularly placed on the underside of the penis (from the foreskin all the way down the shaft and continuing onto the scrotum). So even if it seems off to the side or wavy, that's probably what it is. That seam is often slightly raised and colored, so if there's a bit of irritation in the diaper area, it can rub and get redder.

A slightly irritated raphe is my guess of what you're describing, and the line itself is nothing to worry about, just that there may be a little bit of skin irritation going on. Keep the area clean, change diapers frequently, exposure to air, and barrier cream when in diapers, also rule out other irritants like detergents or chemicals.

Gillian
#9 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 03:32 PM

My ds has this too. I was worried the first time I saw it, but it didn't cause any trouble so I just assume it's meant to be there. Didn't know there is a name for it etc...

caffix.gif

#10 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo0685 View Post
It might be just the way his diaper was, I will keep an eye on it for a few days and if I continue to worry I will take him to the doctors, and I did not really feel it so I would say under the skin. Thank you for responding.... I was really worried at first
My son used to have this all the time. It is nothing to worry about. That seem gets red due to the heat and moisture of the diapers.

Infections are very rare and present as EXTREME swelling to the penis and and groin with a fever. Infections usually occur when there is injury to the foreskin such as forcible retraction.

Be sure to read this through:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...893&highlight=

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#11 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 08:54 PM

I remember seeing a link here to a web page about how the genitals form in utero that had really detailed drawing. It was very interesting if you are a science/anatomy buff! I don't have time to look for it right now. Maybe someone else can put their mouse on it and post it.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#12 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 PM

it's in wikipedia under Perineal raphe. I think.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#13 of 13 Old 06-17-2009, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! The line is much lighter than yesterday, it must have just been irritation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page