Strange smelling urine, brown spot on diaper, and discharge from penis?! UTI? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday and today DS (7months) has woken up with a strange smelling diaper and a light brown spot (from penis) on his diaper. This morning I let him do nakey butt time, and when he peed there was discharge on the blanket (never happened before!). He had a low grade fever two days ago with no other symptoms, it has since gone away. He's uncirc'd and if this is a UTI, does anyone know of any have treatment suggestions (I am nursing), I would hate to go to the doc and get a prescription for antibiotics

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

#2 of 8 Old 06-20-2009, 06:51 PM

It could be the start of a UTI or he may have just been dehydrated due to the fever. It is really hard to say but the dark spot on the diaper suggests dehydration to me.

I would keep and eye on him and if it is a UTI he would still have the fever and he would be in pain.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 02:40 PM

I'd say that unless he has a fever and is urinating a ton he doesn't have a UTI. The discharge is probably just normal smegma which can smell funny b/c it is trapped in there since the foreskin is still fused. Plus the fact that you are breastfeeding will ward off UTI. Here is a good thread for you to read. Tells how the foreskin protects against UTI and benefit of breastfeeding:

http://www.nocirc.org/statements/breastfeeding.php

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#4 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 04:25 PM

Brown discharge??? I would worry and at least call the doctor for some suggestions.
#5 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovesl View Post
Brown discharge??? I would worry and at least call the doctor for some suggestions.
Smegma can mix with a little blood when the foreskin starts to separate from the glans which is why sometimes smegma appears brownish. This is pretty normal. And it does smell pretty odd considering it has been trapped there for a long time.

To the OP my bet is that your son is going through some normal separation right now. Check out this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=764732?

#6 of 8 Old 06-22-2009, 11:21 PM

Sounds like exactly what happened with my son last month, 6 weeks old. Yes it was a UTI. He was very ill and was hospitalized for almost 4 days. His twin brother developed a UTI a few weeks later and also had to be hospitalized. antibiotics are KEY b/c one the fever starts it usually indicates that is has spread to the kidneys, which is very serious. both of my boys had kidney infections as well. your LO really needs to go to the dr
#7 of 8 Old 06-23-2009, 12:12 AM

I'd say dehydrated also. My dd gets dehydrated easily, and gets orange-y brown spots in her diaper, with strong smelling pee. Nurse nurse nurse!!
#8 of 8 Old 06-23-2009, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateygirl76 View Post
Sounds like exactly what happened with my son last month, 6 weeks old. Yes it was a UTI. He was very ill and was hospitalized for almost 4 days. His twin brother developed a UTI a few weeks later and also had to be hospitalized. antibiotics are KEY b/c one the fever starts it usually indicates that is has spread to the kidneys, which is very serious. both of my boys had kidney infections as well. your LO really needs to go to the dr
Your babies were very young so it is more of a possibility of immature kidney function. Especially since they were twins and probably a wee bit early. The OP's son has no fever or other symptoms of UTI (frequent urination). Her son is also much older with normal kidney function up to this point in his life.

I'd say rushing to the doctor would be a bad idea and set this baby up for a cath for something that is probably not a UTI and possibly a forcible retraction.

Nurse your baby as much as possible and wait to see if he has frequent urination and/or a fever.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page