surgery to remove fat pad around ds's "buried" penis?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-21-2009, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
x-posted in Life With a Babe

so today we had our 6 months wbv. my ped and i don't really see eye-to-eye on...well, anything...but we live out in the boonies a bit and he's the closest for the time being. i mostly smile and nod with him. anyway, today during my son's exam he said something about having surgery when my son was 15 months old to remove the fat pad around his penis because it was "buried." i was like WHAT?????? he's not mobile yet, and EBF, and big (20 lbs 4 oz, 28 inches long). give him a chance to burn some of that baby fat off before we talk about baby liposuction!!

is my ped just psycho or is this really something i should be concerned about? has anyone else dealt with this?

pretty sure we're going to look for a new ped...this was just too much. but i do want to know if this is a legitimate concern or if he smokes crack.

EDITED to add: my son is circumsized. i feel really horrible terribly guilty about it and wish that i had known better. i would not have had it done. any future sons i have will remain intact. did i do this to him?? oh i will never forgive myself....i just read something about a buried penis sometimes being caused by an "aggressive circ" and almost threw up.

helpmeet. mama to Sam (1.18.09 ) and another baby boy (due 2.1.2011 ). planning our first .
#2 of 12 Old 07-21-2009, 02:26 PM

Remove the fat pad? Is he kidding?

Run...fast!

Yes, buried penis is often caused by circumcision. There was an episode of one of those plastic surgery shows about it.

Do not allow them to do anymore surgery on your son's genitals. Let him grow up and decide how he wants to deal with it. After all they are his and he has to live with the consequences. He will very likely outgrow this.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#3 of 12 Old 07-21-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. i will definitely begin the search for a new ped. this guy is a nutcase.

helpmeet. mama to Sam (1.18.09 ) and another baby boy (due 2.1.2011 ). planning our first .
#4 of 12 Old 07-21-2009, 02:48 PM

to the above! Get a second opinion. My nephew is circ'd and suffered from hidden penis as well. The urologist said it was from the circ but that it is important to wait until at least 2 when the child has started or has slimmed out. When the are chunky toddlers there is no way oftelling how "hidden" it is. Seek advice from a plastics person as well. There are a few plastic/urological surgeons in NYC.

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#5 of 12 Old 07-21-2009, 02:48 PM

You also might consider looking for a FP rather than a Ped (especially since you are in a more remote area, it might be easier anyway) They are much less likely to want to fix things that aren't broken.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#6 of 12 Old 07-21-2009, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with not going forward with the surgery and just waiting it out. You are right that he's young and not mobile yet, and he will probably change a lot as he grows and the chunkiness thins out. As long as your son is urinating fine, I wouldn't consider surgery or even letting the doctor touch his genitals (other than if he needs to check for descended testicles). The problem will most likely resolve as he gets older.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#7 of 12 Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM

It seems your doc is not totally crazy, just partially.

Quote:
Buried penis can be corrected by (more) surgery, cutting out pubic fat and sewing down the skin of the groin and scrotum.

But you have to wait and give your son time to see if it will correct itself which often happens.

From Here:http://www.drgreene.com/21_1125.html
Quote:
If the concealed penis can be easily exposed by gently pulling on it or by pressing down on the surrounding fat pad, the situation will usually correct itself over time.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#8 of 12 Old 07-21-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

oh good! yes, it "pops out" when i press down on the fat pad so that's good...hopefully it will resolve with time. i think it's crazy that the doc would rather have major surgery than just wait and see how things go.

#9 of 12 Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
You also might consider looking for a FP rather than a Ped (especially since you are in a more remote area, it might be easier anyway) They are much less likely to want to fix things that aren't broken.

Personally I'd go to my dog's vet before going back to that ped.:
#10 of 12 Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Remove the fat pad? Is he kidding?

Run...fast!

Yes, buried penis is often caused by circumcision. There was an episode of one of those plastic surgery shows about it.

Do not allow them to do anymore surgery on your son's genitals. Let him grow up and decide how he wants to deal with it. After all they are his and he has to live with the consequences. He will very likely outgrow this.
:

to you, mama. Be gentle to yourself; every single parent on this planet makes mistakes, there is just NO perfect parent.
#11 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 12:04 AM

A "Yeah that" to Yulia's post above!

Sarcasim ahead:
Ped: You want to wait to see what happens with this fat pad?
Parent: Yes
Ped: We can't do that, I've got a boat payment to make and the wife just ordered new furniture. I can't make any money if you wait.

Ok, sarcasim hat off!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#12 of 12 Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 PM

Yes, a buried penis is often caused by circumcision, most of the time it resolves on its own when the child thins out a bit. Yes, your ped is a nut and I would not go through with a surgery. FWIW, my sister's son also has a buried penis thanks to an aggressive circumcision and I told her that was why. When she went to her pediatrician he told her there was no such thing as a buried penis and I was full of it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page