intact newborn- blood in diaper? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 07-26-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 2 days old and has what looks to be blood in his diaper coming from penis maybe but we cant see where took to the ER and thet did a straight cath on him to check urine and no infection or anything. So they sent us home with a big I DON'T KNOW is this normal or has anyone heard of this?

I was using sposie's maybe irritation from, chemicals??

His cloth dont fit right now because cord stump is in the way so now I'm using sposies with a fleece liner to possible chemicals dont touch his skin

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#2 of 11 Old 07-26-2009, 09:19 PM

I've definitely heard of bloody diapers with newborns--something about hormone levels fluctuating or something.

From the Dr. Sears site:
Quote:
Blood can also show up in the urine, especially during the newborn period. The first thing to realize is that this is not a serious emergency. You don’t have to rush into the ER. You don’t even need to page your doctor for this. Simply observe the poops or the urine and report to your doctor when the office opens what you are seeing.
Hope everything's okay--please keep us posted!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#3 of 11 Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 PM

This might also be 'brick dust' I'd keep an eye on it.
#4 of 11 Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 PM

I have seen what looked like a light blood stain in my newborn's diapers, just a faint orange/red spot where pee was concentrated, and thought it was blood.

It turns out, It was biliruben!

not to be simplistic but, are you absolutely sure it was blood, IE- bright red?

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#5 of 11 Old 07-26-2009, 09:27 PM

Could be uric acid crystals. Looks like a wash or spot of "brick dust" in the diaper. Not uncommon in the early days after birth, if mom's milk has not come in yet or otherwise the babe is not getting enough fluid intake. Means that the babe is a bit dehydrated, and the urine is concentrated, thus precipitating the uric acid crystals out. Parents often mistake this for blood. The people in the ER should have thought to consider this before doing something as invasive as a catherization.

Girls can occasionally get bloody vaginal discharge (pseudo-menses) from withdrawal of mom's hormones. This can look quite bloody, but goes away on its own as the hormones wane.

Hope this helps. Gillian
#6 of 11 Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 PM

That's normal and not blood. I was warned about it in the hospital with my first child and not with any of the others.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#7 of 11 Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 PM

Another vote for "brick dust." My son had it for about two days when he was brand new.
#8 of 11 Old 07-27-2009, 07:07 AM

DS had this it is called brick dust. It is uric acid crystals from being a bit dehydrated. Bfed infants often have it before your milk comes in. As long as it dosnt last more than a day or so then he is fine.

I am a bit surprised they didnt mention brick dust to you but then when I called my ped about the same thing they didnt mention it either. Since he was intact I think it threw them. But as soon as I told my mw about it she told me exactly what it was. It helped that when I changed his diaper it was there again for her to see.

It is a rusty color red and the spots ds had was around nickel size.

It disturbs me they cathed a tiny infant like that as well without fever or other things going on since the act of cathing itself can cause infections.

I hope they knew enough not to retract him any.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#9 of 11 Old 07-27-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Girls can occasionally get bloody vaginal discharge (pseudo-menses) from withdrawal of mom's hormones. This can look quite bloody, but goes away on its own as the hormones wane.

Hope this helps. Gillian
Oh, that's what I was thinking of...thanks! ohiomommy, how is your sweet baby today?

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#10 of 11 Old 07-27-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
I have seen what looked like a light blood stain in my newborn's diapers, just a faint orange/red spot where pee was concentrated, and thought it was blood.

It turns out, It was biliruben!

not to be simplistic but, are you absolutely sure it was blood, IE- bright red?
Well that makes sense DS is Jaundiced and yes it does look more orange/ red but I didnt know it could be anything else- thanks

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#11 of 11 Old 07-28-2009, 12:52 PM

My son had this after he was born. It freaked me out, so we called the birthing center right away. The nurses said everything was normal, but it had to do with him being dehydrated and having jaundice. My milk came in the next day and I never saw it again.

~Becca
Wife to DH 8/2003; Momma to DS 5/2007ribboncesarean.gif ; DD 5/1/2010 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page