Non-circumcised 7yr old son still not retracted... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not really sure if I should be worried about my son who will be 7 yrs. old in Nov. not having his foreskin retracted yet. When he was 3 yrs old I took him to the Dr. because his penis would balloon up when he urinated. The doctor told us that we needed to have him work on pulling the skin back and that if it didn't retract we would need to circumcise. Luckily I came to the boards and posted to find out not to do this and that it would retract on its own when it was suppose to. Some time has now gone by and it still isn't retracted. He does not balloon up like he once did but I am still worried. Should I be worried or just let nature take its course? Thanks so much for your help!
#2 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 PM

No need to worry. Many boys do not become retractable until puberty. He's got plenty of time.
#3 of 12 Old 08-06-2009, 09:52 PM

Some boys don't retract until puberty. My 9yo doesn't retract. My FIL and husband didn't retract until after 10years old. It's normal.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#4 of 12 Old 08-07-2009, 01:54 AM

Many boys don't retract until adolescence -- or even sometimes later -- and that's completely normal and OK. Ballooning during urination is also completely normal and nothing to worry about.

Here's a link to the AAP guidelines. Look close to the bottom at the "foreskin retraction" section.

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/
#5 of 12 Old 08-16-2009, 03:14 AM

I was about 12 when mine retracted. Nothing to worry about.
#6 of 12 Old 08-16-2009, 03:18 AM

Like everyone has said totally normal. If he makes it well into puberty and is still not retractable and HE has a problem with that then simple stretching and possibly steroid cream should remedy the problem.

But for now there is no reason at all to worry. The most recent studies done show that the avg age for retraction is 10.5 yo. but anything on either side of that falls into the normal category. There is even a small % of men who live their whole lives without retracting and have zero problems or issues with it that way.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 12 Old 08-16-2009, 12:04 PM

Nothing to worry about. Ballooning is normal too. Only 50% of boys are retractable by age 10.

Here is a helpful thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...893&highlight=

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#8 of 12 Old 08-16-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggymama View Post
I am not really sure if I should be worried about my son who will be 7 yrs. old in Nov. not having his foreskin retracted yet. When he was 3 yrs old I took him to the Dr. because his penis would balloon up when he urinated. The doctor told us that we needed to have him work on pulling the skin back and that if it didn't retract we would need to circumcise. Luckily I came to the boards and posted to find out not to do this and that it would retract on its own when it was suppose to. Some time has now gone by and it still isn't retracted. He does not balloon up like he once did but I am still worried. Should I be worried or just let nature take its course? Thanks so much for your help!
The reason I clicked on this thread is because you said "still" in your subject title.

The average age of retraction is around 11 or 12. Thats average, meaning many still have not at this age. I use to hang out a lot on this teen board (because I am a young guy, not because I'm creepy ) where there was a whole sticky in the boys section for intact guys. Fairly regularly there was always a boy who came on asking about this, boys as old as 17. So 7 is certainly nothing to worry about!!

But what you need to remember is that there is nothing wrong with a foreskin that cannot retract. A male can still pee, masturbate, even have a functional, happy sex life and still not be able to retract. Let time do its work. There is NOTHING for you to worry about here.
#9 of 12 Old 08-16-2009, 01:58 PM
A&A

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picturesque View Post
No need to worry. Many boys do not become retractable until puberty. He's got plenty of time.
:

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#10 of 12 Old 08-16-2009, 03:31 PM

My son is seven and this year he forcibly retracted himself. I think he'd still be partially attached if he hadn't done that.
#11 of 12 Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkinPA View Post
My son is seven and this year he forcibly retracted himself. I think he'd still be partially attached if he hadn't done that.
whoops! Boys can be tough on their genitals during the discovery years. :P

Momma to DS (2/08) and #2 due 10/11.

#12 of 12 Old 08-20-2009, 03:26 PM

My 5 y/o DS was able to retract by like 2. My 3 y/o ds still can't retract. It all depends on the penis. It will retract when it's ready.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page