If you regret circumcising your son(s), please post here. - Page 24 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#691 of 720 Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM
 
mare54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is heart wrenching to read these stories about decisions that can't be taken back and feelings of failure to protect babies.  So many people can relate.....and even the ones who "deny" all of it, get defensive because of regret they have pushed down for so long.  Having been in this situation for 33 years.....making the same uniformed decision so many years ago and feeling guilty for not protecting my son when he depended on me to do so, I can tell you that the regret never, ever goes away.  I've dealt with the guilt and by committing to continue my education about infant circumcision and by sharing the information with as many people as possible so that a baby boy might be saved from this barbaric procedure along the way.  The way to turn around this kind of helpless feeling of not being able to go back and make a different decision for your own child, is to share important information with others.  If only one person would have given me real facts to go along with my instinctual urges to say NO to circumcision.....I know I would have made a much different decision for my son.  Knowledge is power and if we continue to gain knowledge and pass on that knowledge, I know we can make a difference for so many other baby boys.  Good luck to all of you.  There is a Facebook group for parents who regret circumcising their sons as well as a similar group on Baby Center.  Here are two places you can get a lot of support that can help you move on and do something positive with your regret.wink1.gif

mare54 is offline  
#692 of 720 Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 AM
 
raetsel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I made an account just to say this - my son's circumcision is the one event in my life that disturbs me so much that I can't bear to think about it (and I've experienced lots of lovely things like an adored parent killing himself to give you some reference for scale - I'd much rather think about that in detail).

 

My son was born about a month early. He peeked out at me, his naive 19-year-old mother, when I first held him and said "hi" then closed his eyes for ~3 weeks. He had no fat on him - he was not fully ready to be born, but was fine, normal-weight and so on. I explain this just because it makes what happened and how he reacted seem even more dramatic.

I don't remember signing anything or having to consent to anything to do with circumcision, but I was 19 years old & felt ridiculous for being pregnant since I looked about 14 & people in hospitals treat you pretty much as such. I'd been stuck in a hospital for a month to keep him from being born way too early & had just been gliding along by doctors decisions of what was best to have a healthy baby.

So, the day my son was born, the doctor who does the circumcising there wasn't in. I had to actually take my baby back in a couple of days. I can't even type that without lots of tears.

 

So, here is my nightmare:

 

I took my son in.

They don't let you go in with him.
They don't really explain anything at all.

I don't remember if I could hear him screaming - it seems to me that I could, but honestly, the brain is good at wiping things from your memory when they're just too much to handle.

I remember the nurse coming out and telling me it was done & that he almost sat up while strapped on the board. ALMOST SAT UP - a newborn who was early and wasn't even opening his eyes. How sick is that??????!!!!

The whole way home and for much of the day, my tiny little boy was making that upset noise like you would after you have cried your eyes out and can't catch your breath. FOR HOURS.

I can't even hardly write this and it has been 19 years since this happened.

 

So, please, anyone, don't do it. Don't learn the hard way that it's just so obviously wrong.

raetsel is offline  
#693 of 720 Old 11-07-2012, 01:03 PM
 
mama24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: with the dust bunnies
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raetsel View Post

I made an account just to say this - my son's circumcision is the one event in my life that disturbs me so much that I can't bear to think about it (and I've experienced lots of lovely things like an adored parent killing himself to give you some reference for scale - I'd much rather think about that in detail).

 

My son was born about a month early. He peeked out at me, his naive 19-year-old mother, when I first held him and said "hi" then closed his eyes for ~3 weeks. He had no fat on him - he was not fully ready to be born, but was fine, normal-weight and so on. I explain this just because it makes what happened and how he reacted seem even more dramatic.

I don't remember signing anything or having to consent to anything to do with circumcision, but I was 19 years old & felt ridiculous for being pregnant since I looked about 14 & people in hospitals treat you pretty much as such. I'd been stuck in a hospital for a month to keep him from being born way too early & had just been gliding along by doctors decisions of what was best to have a healthy baby.

So, the day my son was born, the doctor who does the circumcising there wasn't in. I had to actually take my baby back in a couple of days. I can't even type that without lots of tears.

 

So, here is my nightmare:

 

I took my son in.

They don't let you go in with him.
They don't really explain anything at all.

I don't remember if I could hear him screaming - it seems to me that I could, but honestly, the brain is good at wiping things from your memory when they're just too much to handle.

I remember the nurse coming out and telling me it was done & that he almost sat up while strapped on the board. ALMOST SAT UP - a newborn who was early and wasn't even opening his eyes. How sick is that??????!!!!

The whole way home and for much of the day, my tiny little boy was making that upset noise like you would after you have cried your eyes out and can't catch your breath. FOR HOURS.

I can't even hardly write this and it has been 19 years since this happened.

 

So, please, anyone, don't do it. Don't learn the hard way that it's just so obviously wrong.

You are as much a victim as your son is.  Those people who took & did this to your son are not practicing medicine; they are committing society sanctioned abuse.  I'm sorry for you both.  

 

Have you tried talking to your son about this?  I imagine that it may be difficult to bring up & talk about.  Also, I have no idea about the laws, but I have heard of men who sue the doctor once they become an adult.  Perhaps you both could look into that.  IMO, it's important for him to know that you made a mistake so that he does not make the same mistake.  However, never having been in this situation, I am not telling you what to do, just sharing my opinion & why I have it.

 

Best wishes to you both.

Sus


Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
mama24-7 is offline  
#694 of 720 Old 11-08-2012, 09:04 PM
 
Blueberry159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My first son is circumcised, and it's my deepest regret. The surgery was extremely painful for him and he has had common complications and infections.  When he is a little older, we will apologize to him from the bottom of our hearts for violating his human rights, and taking away part of his body without his consent. We will support him in anyway that he needs. We were well intentioned but so ignorant... I can only hope and pray that he will be able to forgive us one day.

 
My second son is intact. He has benefitted from his foreskin and will continue to benefit from it for the rest of his life. I am so glad we learned more, and did better for our second son.
 
I believe that both girls AND boys deserve to have their rights to genital autonomy protected. I also feel that our cultural and religious freedoms should end where another human's body begins.
 
In my humble opinion, every parent should learn about the functions of the foreskin before making this decision. I wish I had, maybe my first son would still be intact.
Blueberry159 is offline  
#695 of 720 Old 11-13-2012, 11:58 AM
 
mercy96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Your stories are heartbreaking. Its really not your fault, blame society. What is the circ rate in the US? Really, circ is more attractive?

 

I decided not to circumsize after seeing a documentary on female genital mutilation aka "female circumsicion".  The cleanliness reason is used for fgm and I really dont see the difference for males or females.

mercy96 is offline  
#696 of 720 Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 AM
 
bon jody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i am writing this because i am heart broken.  My son turned 4 just over a week ago.  His father, my ex, does not see the children often, sometimes for months at a time.  They have never spend the night with him.  He chose to see them 3 hours a fortnight and cancels often.  He is a liar and i nag him about being honest when it comes to the kids...apparently he wanted to stick it to me for being bossy about the kids that i have done all the work and taken all the responsibility for.  He picked them up in the morning...called me in the evening to ask what they eat because he doesn't even know that, it was the longest he has spent with them....when they came home my son was circumcised.  My 4 year old who hadn't seen his daddy for nearly 2 months was held down by strangers, blind folded, and circumcised while he screamed.  The helplessness i feel...i handed them over to that man and he did this.  He even arranged for a woman to meet him there and the doctor thought she was the mother.  He said he did it because he is their father...that's the only explanation.  He told his sister it is because i refused to get it done...he only spoke about it once, a year ago.  I said not now, when he is older he can make that choice himself.  I never heard another word about it until it was done and there is nothing i can do.  My son is angry, he wants to punch people, he hates his willy...he still loves his daddy though.  I apologised to him and told him it was ok to be angry with someone and still love them, i told him i didn't know, i wouldn't have let it happen...he looked so relieved to hear that and opened up about what happened.  He was told it would not hurt and that he was not allowed to cry.  When it burns he screams and asks if he can cry...of course you can, you cry as much as you need to. 

 

Still he is making me out to be the bad guy....it's because i talk too much, nag him...well he really showed me, didn't he.

 

He had it easy.  No responsibility and could see them when ever he chose.  I will now get sole legal custody, there was no reason for what he did other than spite.  My son will forever be different to his brother and most of his friends, he is still screaming in agony and wetting himself ....  We spent the next day at hospital and they have made formal complaints about the clinic that did this without my knowledge.  They have offered me councelling which i will take up, and i am arranging the same for my son.  I wasn't there to protect my son.  This was done to him because someone is angry with me. What if this ruins his life?  How could he do something irreversible just because he wanted to? i never realised how serious circumcision was until my sons basic rights were taken from him in such a brutal way. 

bon jody is offline  
#697 of 720 Old 12-10-2012, 08:06 PM
 
MichelleZB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

WHAT?!?!?!

 

Can you take further legal action? This is really shocking and horrible.

MichelleZB is offline  
#698 of 720 Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 AM
 
bon jody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i have been given advice to sue on behalf of my son but i don't know if i have the strength to do that.  I will go to court for sole legal custody and the hospitals child protection staff will back me 100% and apparently so will the police.  I spoke to the doctor that did it and he said there were about 3 or 4 people that went and he thought it was the whole family. They were suppose to be my friends too.  My younger son is acting out now and is angry at me...i wonder if it is because he was there too.

bon jody is offline  
#699 of 720 Old 12-11-2012, 02:53 PM
 
mare54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My heart goes out to you.  I had a similar situation with an ex husband that used our two children to "get back" at me.  He also made plans and didn't show up, often leaving the two of them with packed bags sitting out on the driveway for hours......it was almost too much to watch.  They still wanted to go with him and maybe I'll never know why.  They are grown now with families of their own, but my daughter (who is the oldest....)  still bends over backwards to try and keep him in her and her children's lives.  On the other hand, she doesn't have a problem letting me know exactly how she feels about me sometimes!!!!  Anyway, what a horrible thing for your EX to do to your son.  He could have trust issues for years to come after being assaulted like that.  My Ex husband demanded that our son be circumcised at birth.....which I did not want to do....but ended up caving into his wishes to avoid confrontation. I will never forgive myself for not protecting my son.  He was born perfectly healthy and there was NO reason to surgically alter his genitals.  I question now if he was given anything for pain.....and it breaks my heart!  That was 33 years ago and the experience is still fresh in my memory.  I hope you are able to resolve the issues with your Ex......but your son can never be given back what was taken from him.  It's just horrible.  Good luck to you.......

mare54 is offline  
#700 of 720 Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM
 
beru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon jody View Post

i have been given advice to sue on behalf of my son but i don't know if i have the strength to do that.  I will go to court for sole legal custody and the hospitals child protection staff will back me 100% and apparently so will the police.  I spoke to the doctor that did it and he said there were about 3 or 4 people that went and he thought it was the whole family. They were suppose to be my friends too.  My younger son is acting out now and is angry at me...i wonder if it is because he was there too.

I am horrified by your story and am in tears. I am so sorry for your boy and for you. I am glad you feel you have the support of hospital staff. Good luck.

beru is offline  
#701 of 720 Old 12-12-2012, 08:00 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bon Jody, Wow!  My heart goes out to you and your son.  I cannot think of a more brutal way to treat a child.  Surely that action is classed as a "battery", and as such deserves jail time?

 

Good luck to you.  Hang in there.  We are here to support you.

hakunangovi is online now  
#702 of 720 Old 12-14-2012, 08:23 PM
 
mama24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: with the dust bunnies
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon jody View Post

i have been given advice to sue on behalf of my son but i don't know if i have the strength to do that.  I will go to court for sole legal custody and the hospitals child protection staff will back me 100% and apparently so will the police.  I spoke to the doctor that did it and he said there were about 3 or 4 people that went and he thought it was the whole family. They were suppose to be my friends too.  My younger son is acting out now and is angry at me...i wonder if it is because he was there too.

 

I'm so sorry for what has happened to your son.  I thought this might be of use to you.  Perhaps not to use today or tomorrow, but once you are calmed down some & feel like you can think about it more easily: http://www.intactamerica.org/sites/default/files/Circumcision%20and%20Your%20Legal%20Rights.pdf

 

Sus


Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
mama24-7 is offline  
#703 of 720 Old 12-20-2012, 12:20 AM
 
Mitchell756's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bon jody View Post

i have been given advice to sue on behalf of my son but i don't know if i have the strength to do that.  I will go to court for sole legal custody and the hospitals child protection staff will back me 100% and apparently so will the police.  I spoke to the doctor that did it and he said there were about 3 or 4 people that went and he thought it was the whole family. They were suppose to be my friends too.  My younger son is acting out now and is angry at me...i wonder if it is because he was there too.

I would reccomend taking legal action against all of the individuals involved. With the technology available today circumcision will soon cease to be a permanent harm.

 

Currently the organization foregen is heading these efforts.

 

If they could receive a large donation their work would accelerate rapidly. 

 

It may not be easy but i believe that it would be best to sue your husband and his accomplices and join me and many others in supporting the work aimed at ending circumcision once and for all.

Mitchell756 is offline  
#704 of 720 Old 12-20-2012, 04:41 PM
 
mare54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I'm all for any technology to "fix" the harm of circumcision, but I certainly don't want anyone now saying it's okay to do it to babies now because they can always fix it when they get older!  I think you know what I mean.

mare54 is offline  
#705 of 720 Old 01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
 
Blueberry159's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mare54 View Post

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I'm all for any technology to "fix" the harm of circumcision, but I certainly don't want anyone now saying it's okay to do it to babies now because they can always fix it when they get older!  I think you know what I mean.

I agree. And, I can't see how advancements in technology could possibly bring back all the functions of the foreskin that nature intended. Not to mention, you can't undo the trauma and the pain of unnecessary, risky, cosmetic genital surgery.
Blueberry159 is offline  
#706 of 720 Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 PM
 
mama24-7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: with the dust bunnies
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueberry159 View Post
I agree. And, I can't see how advancements in technology could possibly bring back all the functions of the foreskin that nature intended. Not to mention, you can't undo the trauma and the pain of unnecessary, risky, cosmetic genital surgery.

Bolding mine.  I wonder if there is a way to work through something like that?  I don't think there is but I'm not a psychiatrist.  Regardless, I find it quite interesting that the most violent places on the planet are the ones where circ of minors is the most prevalent.  No one ever seems to make *that* connection though.  So. Incredibly. Sad.

 

Sus 

mare54 likes this.

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
mama24-7 is offline  
#707 of 720 Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 PM
 
karmal2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I left the choice up to my sons father. I didn't know any better. The hospital asked while I was pregnant and he said "of course". No question in his mind. My son was born and before they took him to have the surgery, I signed the papers to allow it to happen. They explained what would happen "w will take him down and give him a little anesthetic and then we just pull up the extra skin, twist and snip. Then we will bring him right back to you. Do you want to come watch and stay with him?" (Sad that over two years later I remember every word she said to me). I still haven't found anything that supports her claim that they just "twist and snip". He didn't seem like he was in a lot of pain, but maybe that was because I exclusively breastfed and had strong pain meds for a few weeks because of my c-section. When family changed his diapers, they asked me why he WASN'T circumcised. He went through all that, just to look like it never happened?? He has always (since the surgery) had an incredibly sensitive penis. He cries out in pain when I change his diaper, even now, two years later. He has had adhesions, which were forcefully ripped apart by the dr when he was under a year old and again at 18 months. He has issues when he urinates, it kind of dribbles out instead of streams. I regret letting his father make that decision every single time I change my baby's diaper or hear him cry when he has to pee. I will not be doing this to any future sons I have.
karmal2 is offline  
#708 of 720 Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 AM
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow, I'm so sorry for you and your son.  It is so sad that the medical community refuses to be up front with the complications that can, and often do, result from a circumcision.  Actualy all circumcisions cause damage but often it is not apparent until later in life.  It sounds, to me, like your son may be suffering from meatal stenosis, where the pee hole gets scarred and narrow from being exposed to urine and feces in the diaper.  This is a common ( 10% ) complication of circumcision and does not occur in intact boys because the foreskin protects the glans and meatus.  Unfortunately the solution is more surgery. The weak dribble instead of a forceful stream when he pees is not a good sign and could end up causing further damage due to the back pressure and possibility that his bladder is not being completely emptied.  You might want to do some research to see if your son is so afflicted.

 

Good luck, and I hope things go better for both of you in the future.

hakunangovi is online now  
#709 of 720 Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM
 
Mitchell756's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That is unfortunate what happened to your son but it is certainly not unusual. There are several different methods of circumcision so it is difficult to determine which was used on your son.If you write down the name of the doctor that performed the circumcision and the hospital where it was performed your son will be able to take legal action against them when he gets older.

 

How many boys will need to have their lives shattered before this practice finally comes to an end?

mare54 and mightymama1976 like this.
Mitchell756 is offline  
#710 of 720 Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
 
bugmenot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmal2 View Post

I left the choice up to my sons father. I didn't know any better. The hospital asked while I was pregnant and he said "of course". No question in his mind. My son was born and before they took him to have the surgery, I signed the papers to allow it to happen. They explained what would happen "w will take him down and give him a little anesthetic and then we just pull up the extra skin, twist and snip. Then we will bring him right back to you. Do you want to come watch and stay with him?" (Sad that over two years later I remember every word she said to me). I still haven't found anything that supports her claim that they just "twist and snip". He didn't seem like he was in a lot of pain, but maybe that was because I exclusively breastfed and had strong pain meds for a few weeks because of my c-section. When family changed his diapers, they asked me why he WASN'T circumcised. He went through all that, just to look like it never happened?? He has always (since the surgery) had an incredibly sensitive penis. He cries out in pain when I change his diaper, even now, two years later. He has had adhesions, which were forcefully ripped apart by the dr when he was under a year old and again at 18 months. He has issues when he urinates, it kind of dribbles out instead of streams. I regret letting his father make that decision every single time I change my baby's diaper or hear him cry when he has to pee. I will not be doing this to any future sons I have.

In my opinion, the worst part of circumcision, other than the immediate pain, is the adhesions. If they take too much off, there's a greater chance of the boy having discomfort during erections. If they take too little off, there's the adhesions. The doctors tell the parents and caregivers to pull the skin back.


I'm not ranting against you, but I'm ranting against the system or the mindset. It's a horrible mindset and it needs obliterated.

OF COURSE the skin will re-attach! It's nature's way of trying to re-gain what someone tried to fight.

Remember Jurassic Park? The scientists tried to re-create dinosaurs under artificial rules (only female dinosaurs, etc...) well...guess what happened? Nature won!

Anyway, back to adhesions...the adhesions are nature's way of trying to re-claim what it originally had.

The worst thing anyone can do, once they have their son circumcised, is to pull those adhesions back...but it's what the doctors say to do. greensad.gif


I wonder if those same doctors tell parents and caregivers of intact children to pull the skin back...probably, because they don't know any better. greensad.gif
mare54 likes this.
bugmenot is offline  
#711 of 720 Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM
 
bugmenot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 291
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell756 View Post

That is unfortunate what happened to your son but it is certainly not unusual. There are several different methods of circumcision so it is difficult to determine which was used on your son.If you write down the name of the doctor that performed the circumcision and the hospital where it was performed your son will be able to take legal action against them when he gets older.

How many boys will need to have their lives shattered before this practice finally comes to an end?


Here's the way I see it. You're walking down a forest path and get to a fork in the path. If you go left, certain things may happen. If you go right, other things may happen. There's no way to foresee what will happen, but you *can* get advice from other people who have gone down the path before...but in the end, it's all up to you. If the path you choose gets tricky to navigate, you can't go back. No matter which path you choose, it may or may not be the same experience as others.

A kid grows up whole with no issues and wants his own circumcision. The kid gets to make his own choice. In the end, he's happy.
A kid grows up whole and has issues...he needs to be circumcised. How many times does this honestly happen? Not too many.
A kid grows up circumcised and has issues. This is a problem and maybe the wrong decision was made. Unfortunately, the parents and child will never know.
A kid grows up circumcised and appears to have no issues. He can urinate, erect, and have sex with no apparent issues. Unfortunately, this is the only thing he's ever known, so there's really no way to compare.

Option 1 - Good choice
Option 2 - Perhaps a bad choice, but in all honesty, it probably won't happen...but if it does happen, it might be easier, since the penis is bigger. The kid can undergo a difficult surgery easier, since he is older, has a bigger body, and can be sleeping (with medication and sleeping gas) during it. He can also have pain meds afterwords. A difficult part might be refraining from masturbation...obviously, in a diaper, this might be next to impossible.

Option 3 - This is a bad choice, but there's really no way to change it.
Option 4 - If you look at it neutrally, it *could* be a good choice, but there's really no way to tell. If you look at it from a biased standpoint, it's really whatever your opinion is. Talk to someone who circumcised, and it'll be a good choice in their eyes. Talk to an intactvist, and it's a horrible choice.

With all that said, either delay the surgery as long as possible OR let him make his own choice. If he's 18, 20, 25, 35 when he wants to be circumcised, it'll be easier on him AND his penis. He can also make his own decision of how much he wants removed, something he can't say as a baby.
bugmenot is offline  
#712 of 720 Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM
 
aihley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I regret circumcising my son. I thought I knew what it was and I didn't. I was a valedictorian and honors student with a particular interest in biology and a nurse for a mother and I didn't research enough. I was not open to being attacked by some intactivists so it was hard for me to listen and I avoided information on their pages. I thought I knew the history of my religion and I was dead wrong. My son will suffer because of this. I only hope that he'll forgive me one day. If I could give a piece of my body to restore his I would.

aihley is offline  
#713 of 720 Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM
 
imgr8ful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: sunny az
Posts: 1,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post


In my opinion, the worst part of circumcision, other than the immediate pain, is the adhesions. If they take too much off, there's a greater chance of the boy having discomfort during erections. If they take too little off, there's the adhesions. The doctors tell the parents and caregivers to pull the skin back.


I'm not ranting against you, but I'm ranting against the system or the mindset. It's a horrible mindset and it needs obliterated.

OF COURSE the skin will re-attach! It's nature's way of trying to re-gain what someone tried to fight.

Remember Jurassic Park? The scientists tried to re-create dinosaurs under artificial rules (only female dinosaurs, etc...) well...guess what happened? Nature won!

Anyway, back to adhesions...the adhesions are nature's way of trying to re-claim what it originally had.

The worst thing anyone can do, once they have their son circumcised, is to pull those adhesions back...but it's what the doctors say to do. greensad.gif


I wonder if those same doctors tell parents and caregivers of intact children to pull the skin back...probably, because they don't know any better. greensad.gif

 

i disagree.  when the scar line is healing, i think it's better to gently push the remaining tissue back to prevent those adhesions.  i don't think doctors tell parents this anymore and that's why so many boys these days end up having a doctor rip the adhesion apart, sometimes 2 or 3 times, or worse than that, end up needing to be cut a second time!  and yes, many doctors still tell parents of intact boys to retract the foreskin for cleaning.  to me, it seems like some doctors in this country are intentionally trying to sabotage the penises!

 

i was told to push it back at every diaper change until it was healed (this did not seem to bother him as it never fully attached, just got a little "sticky") - my son had/has no adhesions, he's almost 9.  his younger brothers are intact thanks to him.

imgr8ful is offline  
#714 of 720 Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 PM
 
kenmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do not believe the erroneous information you hear from the medical community. I am 50 and caught herpes when I was 20. Over the last 30 years and many dozens of outbreaks I have noticed that my sores only develop on the skin formerly covered by the foreskin. My father had himself circumcised at 21 because he said his foreskin pulled back only manually.

 

I was circumcised (butchered) as a baby, so I do not know for sure, but because "I am quite wide" I suspect I would have inherited the same retractability issue my father had. If my foreskin was only manually retractable like my father's, because herpes comes up on the points of contact and all my soars come up between my circumcision scar and glans, it stands to reason that I (at least) would not suffer outbreaks. It is also possible that difficult to retract foreskins developed (via evolution) to protect those people who are particularly susceptible to herpes. BTW, I have never been able to be married or have children because no woman has wanted to risk getting herpes. I have been alone for the last 30 years.

 

Many people are infected with herpes and don't ever show symptoms. That may be because the virus can enter the body through the shaft skin and outer foreskin which the virus does not like as much as the mucous membrane that lies on the underside of the foreskin. If there is any chance I am correct, please heed this advice because herpes can ruin your son's future sex and family life.

kenmiller is offline  
#715 of 720 Old 09-10-2013, 12:43 PM
 
Ron1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, the man who wants to circ his kid has, in my mind, a common type of emotional denial that many circed men have. To not circ his child is to admit that there is something wrong, sexually speaking, with the father. That is probably too profound and emotionally destructive for the father to contemplate. His ego cannot even contemplate it, so he will continue to sell himself the illusion of being whole. He doesnt't understand that 20,000 sexual nerve endings have been removed.
This is America's dirty secret. Meanwhile, people are outraged that Ben Affleck will play the new Batman. I feel sick to even live in this country sometimes.
As far as my story, being circed screwed my life up. I had painful erections throughout my life. At one point, the skin began to chafe and fall off the shaft, since there was not enough skin to accommodate my erections. I suffered from premature ejaculation. I became a more aggressive/violent lover, since I needed more mental stimulation and physical friction to feel anything. my ex belittled me for being a poor lover. I became addicted to drugs to offset the pain and lack of pleasure I felt. But the worst part, was that I was ignorant that it was caused by a tight circ. I thought it was all my fault. I felt like garbage and even contemplated suicide.
Only restoration saved my life. Now I understand what sex is supposed to feel like. Pardon me while i be a bit specific here: I am now fully covered flaccid, and I have experienced pleasure I did not even know was possible: whole body orgasms, multiple orgasms, involuntary body contractions, and very powerful ejaculations. In short, I am now experiencing everything that my ex girlfriends experienced. I am feeling what was supposed to be my birthright. The glory and beauty of sensual pleasure that all people were supposed to have. When I think of what the circed man, as well as his partner, are missing, it is frightening.
I only add the restoration info, because I think this is about more than preventing future circumcisions. It's about saving and helping the people who are alive today and who are dealing with their mutilations.
Ron1 is offline  
#716 of 720 Old 12-02-2013, 08:49 AM
 
pennnyforum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

As explained earlier, I'm from the UK where circumcision isn't as popular as in the US. Against my instinct, I was persuaded to circumcise my first son by DH (who is) and his family (where all males are) and my ped. 

 

Whenever I was bathing or changing my first baby boy, friends sometimes called or family were present and often watched. I always felt very conscious that my son's circumcision was very obvious. The problem is the exposed glans is really an internal part and a different colour, even when faded, from the rest of his flesh in that area. It therefore draws attention to his circumcision and I often felt embarrassed and wanting to say "it wasn't my idea to do this!". Of course I never said anything and neither did the onlookers. America is used to seeing circumcised penises.

 

It was different when on holiday at my parent's home in England, where my mother gave me a hard time over it and never stopped nagging me about it whenever she changed him. She has never forgiven me for allowing it.

 

Once in the UK, I went to the beach with a group of friends and our toddlers.  Not having swimming trunks with us on the day, the little guys ran and played happily in the nude. No surprise my son was the only one without his foreskin. This attracted some discreet comments and discussion. There was no criticism but I felt uneasy as I blurted out a lame explanation about not wanting him to be different from his peers in the US.

 

Not long afterwards I took him to my parent's doctor for a check up about something unrelated. As this involved removing his  diaper, the doctor commented; "Hello what's going on here, I don't see many of those!" (pointing to his circumcised penis) I was terribly embarrassed and felt guilty as I shrugged and said his dad wanted done.

 

Have any other moms had experiences like this?

pennnyforum is offline  
#717 of 720 Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 PM
 
GaussWho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you for this resource. Stupidly, I let my husband make the decision to circumcise our first son and didn't really do any research. After I saw a video of the procedure much later, I was so ashamed of myself for allowing that to happen to my sweet baby boy and every time I saw his scar, I felt overwhelming guilt.

 

When I became pregnant with our 2nd son, I didn't know how to convince my husband that I was not going to let that happen to our 2nd baby. I couldn't even bring myself to bring it up in conversation with him until I was 32 weeks. It did not go well. However, he agreed during that conversation to watch a video of the procedure. I want to share the email I sent to him, with the link of the video, because it was all it took to convince him not to circumcise our 2nd son. Literally the next day after reading this, he said "we don't have to circumcise." And that was it. I am sharing the following email in hopes that it can help somebody else convince their husband:

 

"Dear Husband,

 

Here is a video of a routine infant circumcision using the same procedure that our pediatrician uses (lidocaine injection followed by Gomco clamp). You said you would watch it so please, please watch the whole procedure with sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bXVFFI76ff0#t=115s 

 
This was hard for me to bring up with you but after I saw a video of circumcision for the first time about a year and a half ago, I couldn't stop crying and felt overwhelming guilt for not researching it more beforehand and letting them do that to our son.
 
I would like to talk about this some more when you are ready. I literally think about it everyday and the thought of it fills me with dread. I understand that you are coming from a different perspective but I also think that makes it hard for you to be objective. Times have changed and circumcision rates are going down every year. Can you imagine if circumcision was not the societal norm in the US and somebody approached their doctor wanting to do it? It would be considered barbaric but since it has been happening for the past 100 years, most people don't even stop to consider what we are actually doing to infants - cutting off a large part of his most sensitive organ at birth (when babies' pain systems are hyper-sensitive) for no compelling reason when I'm sure the foreskin evolved for a reason. Over 70% of the world does not circumcise and those that do are mainly for religious reasons (Jewish or Muslim). The US is pretty much the only developed nation in the world that routinely circumcises. 
 
Please just think about everything I'm saying. I am sympathetic to where you are coming from, I really am, but I don't think we should be making this choice for another person. I also don't think it's something that should continue to be done just because it was done to the generation before, especially considering the history as to how it became so prevalent in this country (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_male_circumcision#Male_circumcision_to_prevent_masturbation).
 
 
Here is a thread of mothers who regret circumcising their sons. It was started in 2004 and is still going and is now at 35 pages: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/112410/if-you-regret-circumcising-your-son-s-please-post-here
 
Here is a Facebook page of people who change their mind about circumcision in the middle of having kids : https://www.facebook.com/FutureSons (just hit "Close" to go to the page)
 
I know you are an open minded person so please just take some time to think about all of this and let me know when you are ready to talk.
 
Love,
Wife"
Night_Nurse and Dave Saving like this.
GaussWho is offline  
#718 of 720 Old 03-23-2014, 07:21 PM
 
Hugh Intactive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have opened a circumcision regret page at http://www.circumstitions.com/regret.html and am looking for first-person accounts to populate it. I'd rather people offered material than I cut-and-paste it without asking.

Can you please send them to me at hughcirc@gmail.com
or post them on my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/intactive/posts/601172086633337
Hugh Young

www.circumstitions.com

Hugh Intactive is offline  
#719 of 720 Old 04-09-2014, 10:11 AM
 
ashleybess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think about and mourn my son being circumcised often, but I am feeling especially horrible about it today and so decided to get on here and share my story.

 

We have sort of a unique regret story. When I was pregnant I assumed I would circumcise - like many, I thought it was just "what you do". My husband is cut and I didn't know anything about the damage it does - I believed it was just an extraneous part of the body.

 

I began to research and became very defensive for a time once I discovered my ignorance. Slowly, I was able to get past my ego and come around and had firmly decided not to circ by my third trimester. My husband is wonderful and it was easy to get him on board.

 

Then my son was born (one month premature) and it felt like everything went out the window. His birth was horrible and traumatic for both of us, and he was born with a moderate case of hypospadias (where the opening of his urethra was underneath the head of his penis) and a hooded foreskin that was not fully developed. The doctor in the NICU assured us it was easily correctable by surgery, and told us not to circumcise (we were clear we weren't planning on it anyway) because the foreskin was used in the restoration process.

 

A couple months later, we had our first appointment with the urologist. When I questioned the removal of my son's foreskin and whether we should just leave his condition alone until he was old enough to decide for himself, he acted like I was crazy and said if it was his son, there would be no question in his mind whether to get the surgery done. I did some net research and discovered the only surgeons who use a procedure that does not involve removing the foreskin are in the UK. Of course, we didn't have the money to travel there. I posted on MDC and some said leave it alone, others said they had the surgery and seemed to think the benefits outweighed the cost.

 

I agonized over this. If we were to leave his genitals alone, I wondered how he would feel when he became conscious that his penis was significantly different from other boys', when he couldn't pee standing up, and how he would feel when he reached adolescence and later, and whether it would cause psychological issues etc. and whether he'd wish we'd just corrected it when he was a baby. But I also agonized over the loss of his foreskin, even underdeveloped as it was.

 

In the end, we decided to go ahead with the surgery. I (however timidly) conveyed to the surgeon that I'd like him to leave as much of the foreskin as he could, but he didn't really listen. Now he has a "normal" circumcised penis but I so wish I'd been a stronger advocate for my son.

 

Now my son is 4 and I feel so much guilt over him being circumcised. My husband believes we did the best we could given the situation, and some days I believe that and some days I don't. This is one of those days and I can't stop crying and feeling guilty. I love my son so much. I just wanted to do what was best for him and I don't know whether I did. I feel like it's all my fault because I drank soy milk almost every morning with cereal during my first trimester before I found out about its estrogenic effects, and I wonder if that's what caused the hypospadias (though I also found out it runs in my husband's family - but me consuming all that soy certainly didn't help I'm sure!).

ashleybess is offline  
#720 of 720 Old 05-15-2014, 01:58 PM
 
vachi73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aw, ashleybess, I just wanted to give you a virtual hug. Parenting is hard. I can tell how much you love your son and want only the best for him. Please, try to forgive yourself -- you absolutely did nothing to cause his condition (much more likely to have been genetic, but that doesn't mean it's your husband's "fault" either -- just very unfortunate). When he is old enough, just tell him the truth, and be confident that you made the best decision you could given the circumstances.

Again, HUGS to you!!! And chin up!
ashleybess likes this.
vachi73 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off