Yearly physical eeesh vent - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just don't get America. The only time any of my childrens groin area has been checked is for the following reasons:

As babies to check bladder (and that is literally just palpating the bladder) and check hip joints

OR

if I have specifically asked for them to be checked for thrush.

Otherwise, they don't go near it or if they do, they ask for my permission and the childrens permission also (even when they were 1-2 years old and I was given a chance to explain to the children what was going to happen so they wouldn't be scared). It doesn't matter which doctor I take them too, that is the way it goes. Always asking for permission from both parent and child and always doing the bare minimum of touching and in fact, trying to avoid it as much as possible, so asking me to help as well).
#32 of 34 Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 AM

Yeah. Or you could write something up about the human body being sacred and only viewed/touched by others if there is something amiss...

-Angela
#33 of 34 Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 AM
2xy

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
Am I the only mom who doesn't think my kid needs to go to the doctor unless it's life-threatening?
I don't take my kids to the doctor for simple illnesses, but I do take them for yearly physicals even though we homeschool.

My son passed the vision test at the DMV even though his eyes were pretty bad. Scary, huh? We probably wouldn't have known he needed glasses if I hadn't taken him for a physical.

My friend (adult, but still...) had been suffering from mysterious aches and pains for years. She tried lots of different natural remedies, kept getting worse. Nothing life-threatening, just life-draining. She had Lyme disease and had no idea until she went for a physical.

When I was in the Navy I did an EKG on a guy who had not been for a physical in 5 years (only had one at that point because the Navy requires a full physical every 5 years), and discovered that he'd had a mild heart attack at one point and didn't know.

I take my kids for check-ups, just like I take my car for tune-ups. We have moved frequently and my kids have seen lots of different doctors, and none of them have touched or looked at private areas without warning or even asking. Maybe we've been lucky.
#34 of 34 Old 08-17-2009, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

See that is a major fear of mine there are things that could be wrong with the kids that I wouldnt know about. I catch most things but there are some I just would never know about.

I am going to ask the school nurse what all is done at the physical at school and then decide where to go from there.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page