Help please, my ds - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-12-2004, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 7.5 months old. With every doctors appt his Dr. has checked to make sure that his foreskin retracts properly. He didn't check at the 6 month appt so last night I was thinking about it and tried to retract it a bit and it won't retract. The tip looks pinched and flowered when I try. Does this indicate a problem?
#2 of 7 Old 02-12-2004, 04:33 PM

Neither you nor your doctor should be retracting your son's foreskin at all. No one should except your son, himself, when the time comes. The foreskin is self-cleaning... just wipe the outside and be done. If you continue to forcibly retract him , you'll likely cause scarring which could cause him problems in the long run.

It will retract in its own time - generally, anytime between 3 years of age and puberty (or even beyond).
#3 of 7 Old 02-12-2004, 04:34 PM

Oh, and next time your doctor attempts to retract your son's foreskin, tell him to stop. There's no reason for it... he should know better. (Personally, I would be finding a new doctor, but perhaps you can educate this one).
#4 of 7 Old 02-12-2004, 04:55 PM

Your son's foreskin should NEVER be retracted by anyone for any reason. This is exactly counter to the guidelines of the American Academy of Pediatrics and The American Medical Association. Get your child away from this provider. If he/she is this wrong about this, he/she will also be wrong about other things. Please tell the doctor: "We will be getting our medical services from another provider. I have learned that retraction of an infant's foreskin is a dangerous and damaging procedure from The American Academy of Pediatrics and The American Medical Association. You have put my child in danger and I no longer trust you to provide medical services for my family." I would also recommend reporting him/her to the state medical board.

Premature retraction can cause scarring of the glans, the foreskin and the preputial sphincter as well as setting the area up for infection that could necessitate a future circumcision. There is no more need for a doctor to see inside your son's foreskin than there is a need to see inside a girl's vagina. It's totally off limits! Do not go easy on this idiot! He/she is a danger to your child.

The tip is supposed to look pinched and flowered. That means it is doing it's job of protecting everything that is inside by not allowing anything in.

Frank
#5 of 7 Old 02-12-2004, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I circ'd my oldest ds when he was born and probably would have circ'd my youngest because I was (obviously) uneducated about circing. The powers that be stepped in though and sent him home saying that he could have it done outpatient at the pediatritians office. When I inquired they said not until 6 months after his due date (he was 8 weeks premature) and then he would have to be put under. That 6 months is coming up on the 19th and my dh and I are debating about it. I have said no way am I allowing them to circ him and he is saying there's no way that he's allowing it not to get done...mommy will win this war though, lol.

I honestly had no clue that I wasn't supposed to be retracting it. Thank you for clearing that up and for easing my mind about the way it looks.
#6 of 7 Old 02-12-2004, 07:01 PM

//
#7 of 7 Old 02-13-2004, 12:01 PM

Wendy, here are a couple of great intact care articles for you, so you're not guessing anymore.
http://www.nocirc.org/publish/4pam.pdf
http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/aap/
http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/

Premature retraction
http://www.nocirc.org/publish/6pam.pdf

Intact care agreement
http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/care.html

Take care,
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page