do they automatically circ during a hosp birth, or do they ask? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by pumpkinhead

Circumcision is still legal. People still do it, mistakes are still made.
They still have it done because doctors will do it.
#32 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 10:58 AM

My guy was circ'd even though his birth mother never requested it. We think it was done after she was released from the hospital, but Elliott was still in, waiting to be released to our agency. GRRRRRR! It makes me physically ill to think of my sweet little one suffering like that with no mama to comfort him after.
#33 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 12:34 PM

AnnMarie

Quote:
They still have it done because doctors will do it.
That's a good point, but I must respectfully disagree to a point. If people want something badly enough and they feel strongly enough about it, they'll do it no matter what the obstacle. They'll find someone willing to do it. Granted, I cannot IMAGINE that ANYONE would feel this strongly about circumcision (religious reasons aside) to go this route, but there are some wackos out there.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#34 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pumpkinhead

That's a good point, but I must respectfully disagree to a point. If people want something badly enough and they feel strongly enough about it, they'll do it no matter what the obstacle. They'll find someone willing to do it. Granted, I cannot IMAGINE that ANYONE would feel this strongly about circumcision (religious reasons aside) to go this route, but there are some wackos out there.
The same could be said about FGM though (If it were legal....just a few years ago.). Should doctors that are good at it do it so that someone not as skilled in it doesn't do it?
#35 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 01:10 PM

Well, since FGM isn't legal, it's not really an issue in this country. But, it IS still performed in other countries. If (and this is a REALLY BIG IF) one had NO choice in the matter and it was going to be done, like it or not, then YES, I'd rather have some one skilled perform it than someone who wasn't. Very hypothetical situation tho. I'm not *for* FGM anymore than I am *for* circumcision.

#36 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Doctors will do it as long as insurance will cover it. I think if we were going to start somewhere, it would be there.

Didn't the circ rate drop in several states after Blue Cross stopped paying?
#37 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Doctors will do it as long as insurance will cover it. I think if we were going to start somewhere, it would be there.
ITA! Why is this something that is still covered in the States? Isn't it classed as 'cosmetic' nowadays? I know it's not covered in N.S. I'm not 100% sure on the rest of Canada.

#38 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 04:26 PM

Why do insurance companies pay for it? That seems insane to me. There is so much they won't pay for (like dd's aerochamber which is necessary to deliver her asthma meds) that it seems crazy that they would pay for a surgical procedure that has been deemed unnecessary by the AAP.
#39 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 05:09 PM

Medicaid even pays in some states.

I don't get it either...maybe the insurance companies think if they won't cover it, parents will switch to a plan that does?

Still, if none of them did, that would help.
#40 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 06:54 PM

Pumpkinhead:

Let me put it in a little different light.

Circumcision and tattoos are both cosmetic body modifications. Neither has any benefits and both can be dangerous. Both have caused permanent harm and both have caused death. In some states, it is legal to tattoo a baby. If you were a doctor and one of your patients had brought their baby son to be tattooed and you felt it was morally wrong and tried to convince them not to do it, would you feel partially responsible for that decision as you have stated you would with circumcision? Would you feel responsible to find someone competent to perform the tattooing as you have said you would with circumcision?

I suspect you think that would be different and if so, exactly how is it different? Personally, I see no difference.

Frank
#41 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frankly Speaking
Personally, I see no difference.

Good analogy Frank, and ITA! It isn't any different.
#42 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 07:52 PM

Frankly Speaking,

No, I don't think it's a different situation, pe se. If I this occured, then yes, I would feel paratially resposible, I would feel as if I'd failed in accurately conveying the ramifications of such actions. Any YES, if I knew they were going to have it done, depsite my advice, I would want to make sure someone who was competent was performing the procedure. This is a child's life we're talking about here.I realize that *I* wouldn't necessarily be to blame and some people are just deluded, but I think (I don't know this) I would still feel as if I, personally, had failed. In the case of the tattooing, I might be more inclined to contact CPS tho. That's the only difference I see. I wish the same could be said of circumcision...

#43 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 08:12 PM

I bet a tattoo hurts a lot less.

Those of you who have tattoos - wouldn't you rather go through the pain of another tattoo than the pain of having part of your body cut off?

With tattoos, there is also the chance that they can be mostly removed. So they are not as permanent either. Not all men can use the foreskin restoration procedure.

Maybe I should get a tattoo for my dd so she and I don't "look different!"
#44 of 47 Old 02-20-2004, 08:18 PM

I'd say a circ is more abusive than a tattoo.

For me, it all comes down to if it's wrong you shouldn't help someone do it because to help them is just helping the abuse continue. The same damage is still being done to the child no matter who does it. The child always loses. If doctors refuse parents more than likely will not have it done.
#45 of 47 Old 02-21-2004, 10:31 AM

The hospital I was in did ask, but I still had notes all over him and the bassinet and I told every nurse and dr. I saw not to. Just to make sure.

I'm curious, about the hospital that require an appointment and $300 (and a great attitude from the nurses) - where are they? What city/state? Just wondering.

Take care,

"Home is where the heart is, no matter how the heart lives." - PP&M
#46 of 47 Old 02-21-2004, 03:16 PM

THe hospital I gave birth at is in Kentville, Nova Scotia Canada. They're also very pro breast feeding, incidentally. Medicare here has deemed it an unnecessary procedure and won't cover it any longer. If you want it done you have to find a ped who will perform it (a task in of itself cuz not many will NOT do it anymore) and then pay 300$ for the "pleasure". That should be enough of a deterrant, but they still do circumcize babes here.

#47 of 47 Old 02-22-2004, 03:11 AM

They asked at my hospital.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page