funny story - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted to tell you all a funny story...my son went with me to a friends house and he needed to go pee. We went inside and my friends 5 yo followed us into the bathroom- we aren't modest so that was fine for us. So when my son sits on the toilet to go pee the little boy just stares with such intent and says to me "his weiner isn't like mine" I reply back, "yes it is" He was adament about it and said "nah uh!" so I realized there was no fooling him and he wanted to make sure I knew what he meant so he pulled it out and said "see, look!!" :LOL So I just thought it was kind of cute and sad to see his half penis. I am not sure what my 2 1/2 thought of the conversation because we refer to "it" as "penis" so I am not sure if he really cared or knew exactly what the boy was saying. I probably could have said something else but never sure what to say in such a situation. I wanted to give a better answer though~
#2 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 07:28 AM

Poor little boy - it's interesting the things they notice...

Sounds like you handled it well. I do often wonder what I will say when/if I'm in that kind of a situation (where children notice a difference between a circumcised and intact penis).

I mean - how do you explain to your own child that you thought it was important not to cut off part of his body (or explain to my daughters that we thought it was important not to cut off part of their brother's body) without making it sound sooooo bad for the other child?
#3 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 05:09 PM

//
#4 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 05:27 PM

I think it is totally appropriate to tell the little boy "You'll have to ask your Mommy and Daddy why yours is different." instead of wrestling with the issue yourself. After all, you did nothing to your son so why should you have to handle those uncomfortable moments. Put it back where it belongs and let them deal with an uncomfortable situation that they made for themselves.

If they have anything to say about it, just tell them "I left my son normal and natural just like he came into this world. It is not my place to explain your actions with his genitals." That should end the discussion right then and there.

Frank
#5 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Did you mention this ex-change with the 5yo with your friend? Do pro-circ parents ever tell their kids," We cut off part of your penis because...."??
To be honest "No" because the whole reason I was their was because she is doing me a favour to help me jump start my new business and when the conversation was over she rejoined her neighbor friends with whom I don't know. It wasn't an appropriate time to address it. I will if we come across a time that is appropriate. We aren't best friends and I don't talk to her on a daily basis but she is a nice woman that I enjoy being around so if we get closer as time passes we will most likely talk about it. I do wonder what she would say if her son does ask her about it.

Quote:
I think it is totally appropriate to tell the little boy "You'll have to ask your Mommy and Daddy why yours is different." instead of wrestling with the issue yourself. After all, you did nothing to your son so why should you have to handle those uncomfortable moments. Put it back where it belongs and let them deal with an uncomfortable situation that they made for themselves.
Great suggestion! This is a very suitable and casual way of putting the ball in their court because no I am not in a position to answer him.

Also, I don't think circumsized penises are normal. It is definitely wrong and I was just caught off guard it is hard to tell what is the polite thing to say since we are not super close or anything.
#6 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 08:53 PM

Frank - that is a very good suggestion about directing the child back to his own parents. Thanks - I've been wondering how to handle these kind of situations. I agree that I don't want to in ANY way imply to my own children that a circed penis is 'normal' or OK, but the poor little boys who didn't have any choice...I would just hate to make them feel badly...

It isn't an issue for me here in the UK (obviously), but since I'm American and we visit the States every year (and just about everyone I know has circed their little boys ) it could very well come up when we are on holiday.
#7 of 7 Old 02-19-2004, 09:48 PM

//

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page