No wound care with plastibell circ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had someone tell me just now that there is no wound care with a plastibell circ. No Vaseline, no gauze, no nothing.

Is this likely true, or is he full of it?
#2 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 PM

I think it's true, the bell stays on until the circ heals. But there's also a higher risk of infection and complication with the plastibell method. Plus I've heard it hurts worse, they're basically cutting off blood supply to the foreskin until it dies and falls off, which can take days if not weeks.

Bubba (9) bikenew.gifLukey (5) jog.gif  Fat Baby (2) babyf.gif  Me faint.gif

#3 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
I think it's true, the bell stays on until the circ heals. But there's also a higher risk of infection and complication with the plastibell method. Plus I've heard it hurts worse, they're basically cutting off blood supply to the foreskin until it dies and falls off, which can take days if not weeks.
Oh. my. I don't know much about circ methods & this is why. Makes me feel like throwing up.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#4 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 06:01 PM

I dislike whenever someone who says plastibell doesn't require cutting but it does and I seen those plastibell devices in real form and I'm like going for someone thinking foreskin is an odd thing but a cap on the penis isn't ? Plus , plastibell stuff does need to be cleaned imagine how much bm proably get stuck to that cap that has a good depth to hold alot of bm in it .

Plus plastibells days for it to come off is 10-12 days and right before it comes off there is a scab that forms right next to it .

Plus, the plastibell complication could cause 2 big results as in a paraphimosis reaction by making the foreskin swell back behind the glans causing a risk of losing the glans, the plastibell can actually get stuck inside the foreskin .

The other result which is not a bad result but it could be to the kid who may end up re-circ'ed because a plastibell has been known to leave more foreskin and if you grew up in a circ'ed family all you saw was wide out there glans no coverage at all so if someone continued circ'ing but ended up having their son come out with foreskin remants still covering the glans to make the parent assume that the doctor did it inappropiately and may request to have the rest removed.
#5 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 06:09 PM

With the plastibell there is dead flesh left behind that falls off They still tear the foreskin from the glans and they still cut the foreskin off as close to the ring as they can. You have to keep it clean because there is an open wound there.

This is what I found on care:

Quote:
For the Plastibell Method:
• Petroleum jelly can be put on the
Plastibell ring after cleaning.
• The ring should fall off 4 to 10 days
after the circumcision. Do not pull
the Plastibell ring off, because this
can cause bleeding.
• Clean your baby’s penis by gently
washing with water three times a
day or during diaper changes.
I cant stomach looking through more

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 PM

All I was told was to put neosporin + pain relief ointment on it at every diaper change. No gauze. Of course he only had the plastibell on a matter of hours before he had to be taken back into surgery for uncontrollable bleeding. Then we had the gauze and cleaning. It was NOT humane, I can't even begin to explain how awful his poor penis looked.

Jessica , wife to L (8-5-05), Mama to H (9-18-09)
Regretting our decision to circ after complications that could have killed our baby boy!
#7 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperaDiva View Post
All I was told was to put neosporin + pain relief ointment on it at every diaper change. No gauze. Of course he only had the plastibell on a matter of hours before he had to be taken back into surgery for uncontrollable bleeding. Then we had the gauze and cleaning. It was NOT humane, I can't even begin to explain how awful his poor penis looked.
was he able to retain his foreskin? how is it now?

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#8 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 07:25 PM

Yes it's true. You just wait for the skin to rot off.

Me Hubby
Colin 1/13/04 Elena 1/18/07
#9 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
There would be no way to "retain the foreskin," as it is cut off as part of the Plastibell procedure. To understand the steps of the Plastibell procedure see:

http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/
Click on "How" on the menu at right.
#10 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 08:14 PM

There is definitely cutting with the Plastibell method. The wound itself isn't as exposed as a Gomco circ, and most pediatricians tell parents to just apply a little petroleum jelly if the tip looks raw.

CPST & mom

#11 of 18 Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post

No, he is circumcised now :-( Thankfully recovered with no further issues. If you want the whole story see the thread titled "In case you needed another reason-circ horror story" in this forum.

Jessica , wife to L (8-5-05), Mama to H (9-18-09)
Regretting our decision to circ after complications that could have killed our baby boy!
#12 of 18 Old 12-19-2009, 01:13 AM

I hate when people say there is no cutting in the Plastibell....

First they grab the foreskin with clamps and pull it out, then cut a slit TOWARD THE HEAD. (can we say 'oops, I slipped and poked your penis with these scissors?!) then they peel the foreskin off the glans insert the plastibell, tie it off and trim the foreskin. That is cutting.

http://www.circumcisionquotes.com/im...beldrawhow.jpg

The link is a drawing, but it still turns my stomach.

I'm crunchy... Like a Dorito.
Mama to Sprout jog.gif 4.09 and Bruises babyboy.gif 7.11 handfasted to superhero.gif 9.07

#13 of 18 Old 12-19-2009, 06:21 PM

I have 3 sons, but only my oldest who is almost 7 years old is circd and it was done with the plastibell. I remember they told me not to use vaseline or anything too and I listened until it kept sticking to his diaper and leaving blood so then I started using vaseline.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
#14 of 18 Old 12-19-2009, 08:43 PM

I'm sorry, but was plastibell invented out of sheer laziness? I cannot see how this is easier or less invasive? If a poor boy is going to be circ'd, at least just get it over with so the poor baby can heal, don't keep a friggen' plastic thing on his little penis, slowly amputating the last little bit of skin for a week or more.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

#15 of 18 Old 12-20-2009, 01:05 AM

For some reason they assume plastibell is no cutting and they assume plastibell is a gentler method but wouldn't you think it would be more worse especially to have a foreskin turn necrosis that makes me wonder what it does to the rest of the body during that time ?

Also, I wonder why do people say that oh plastibell is a funky but adorable thing on their son's penis . How can it be funky and adorable ?

To me I saw a plastibell not on a baby but a real plastibell that was so tiny and I'm like how does that ever fit on a baby penis ?

Plus to me a gauze on my son's arm from his IV almost 2 yrs ago that was something we were not used too and thank goodness he only had it on for a few hrs but the gauze was on his arm to prevent him from pulling his IV out .

So if someone like me can get worried about a gauze over a IV for 6 hrs but not get scared of a gauze or a cap on the penis that don't make sense ?

Plus I saw on Tlc when this dad was getting the diaper off and the gauzed pulled off with the diaper the baby let out the loudest screech ever which made the dad feel so bad but then he said he decided to do something to not hurt the baby to prevent things from sticking and I'm thining like now your trying to not hurt the baby if you didn't want to hurt the baby you could have prevented the two things .

One Circumcision and two the gauze from the circumcision being attached to the diaper that it ripped off =both hurt .

Sometimes I wonder when circumcision seems obviously not so right to many people that I wonder how is it that others are not able to see it's not right ?
#16 of 18 Old 12-20-2009, 02:13 AM

Before I decided not to circumcise my oldest I thought the plastibell would be the best method. I didn't want to hurt him and the info I had said that with plastibell a plastic ring is put on the penis and the foreskin simply falls off after a while. I didn't realize they would cut it, too, or that the separation of foreskin from glans would be painful.
#17 of 18 Old 12-20-2009, 02:17 AM

I used to work in large Ob/Gyn office and of all the circ's done, the MD's who used plastibell method had the highest amount of complications. We would have moms calling in 2 weeks post circ freaking out because the plastibell was STUCK on their son and our RN's would have the moms come in to the office so they could try and soak it off and then remove it. Our RN's hated those dang plastibells. "easier" for the MD but worse for the poor baby's. This was back before I educated myself on circ and thought it was normal and needed... but even then I asked my OB who did my older DS's circ to not use plastibell. I only wish I hadnt had him cut at all.

Proud Army Wife, Christian, Mommy to Jackson (12/02) Jillian (12/03) and William (9/14/09). Expecting our newest blessing Aug 2010!
#18 of 18 Old 12-20-2009, 06:30 PM

I was told that the plastibell was supposed to reduce the amount of adhesions, since it separates what's left of the skin and the head of the penis and allows the two wounds to heal separately.

The very first circ I assisted with was a Plastibell in which the doctor accidentally yanked the plastibell off and there was major bleeding. I was newly pregnant with DS at the time and was deep breathing trying not to puke and/or punch the doctor.

CPST & mom

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page