I grabbed the doc's hand off my son's penis! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 02-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RheaSilva View Post
Just wondering, but are you implying that peds who include that as part of the WB exam are pedophiles?
Quote:
Originally Posted by claddaghmom View Post
you know....there is that story floating around....

My abuser was a pediatric urologist...My therapist has told me that addicts tend to lean toward professions that keep them in contact with the object of their addiction...Alcoholics working in bars etc.

There was just a ped that was arrested for abusing over 150 children

Quote:
DOVER, Del. (Feb. 22) -- A Delaware grand jury returned a sweeping indictment Monday against a pediatrician accused of serial molestation in what could be one of the worst child sex abuse cases in the nation's history.

The 160-page indictment returned by a Sussex County grand jury charges Dr. Earl Bradley of Lewes with 471 counts of sexual crimes against 103 children.
I actually believe that doctors are simply obsessed with intact male genitals...they have to touch and look...maybe it's jealousy? Maybe it's envy? Maybe it's them desperately trying to find justification for their cut reduced genitals and, f they can continue to find imaginary problems in intact boys, they can continue to believe that being cut themselves and cutting others is the right thing to do.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#32 of 45 Old 03-01-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RheaSilva View Post
Just wondering, but are you implying that peds who include that as part of the WB exam are pedophiles?
All of them? Not at all. Some? Yes.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#33 of 45 Old 03-01-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
.My therapist has told me that addicts tend to lean toward professions that keep them in contact with the object of their addiction...Alcoholics working in bars etc.
What does this say about doctors who perform tens of thousands of child circumcisions?
#34 of 45 Old 03-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Way to go!! You really did something brave - you should be proud.

I just posted below about a doc retracting my sons penis...and I just stood there. I feel awful. I should have done something. It just shocked me and this man is very intimidating.

No more. I'm not going to be intimidated again (with the new doctor..because I am not going back to one we saw today).

#35 of 45 Old 03-09-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
It just shocked me and this man is very intimidating.
Some doctors use a whole bunch of tricks to intimidate and control. Body language, voice tone etc.

They can talk to you like you have no say in the matter or may order you around without explaining what they are doing, or just do things without saying anything (like sticking a needle into you).

You need to stand up to bullies like that.

Having said that some doctors are reasonable people. Even then you might have to be careful because they might be trained to believe rubbish like infants need to be retracted.
#36 of 45 Old 03-09-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
Now we are assigned to a NP and when he tried to take of DS's diaper I said he's intact (confused look here, so I clarified), which means he has a foreskin, do not retract it (he closes the diaper without looking at DS' genitals)... He then is like but you retract it right, cause it has to? To which I answered no, the owner of the foreskin will retract it when the time comes. He looked puzzled and moved on.

Several years ago I was working a health fair, and a young doctor came over to our booth to talk with us. After a few questions, it was pretty clear that his understanding of intact anatomy and care was off-base. So, I launched into a simple explanation of development (synechia and adhesion), timetable for separation and retraction, and recommendation that the boy be the first to retract, when he's ready.

He blinked a couple of times, then said, "Wow. That is completely counterintuitive. It's a pocket, so you should clean it." He didn't want to budge from this position, and implied we at our booth were providing dangerous advice.

I explained that it was more a fusion than a pocket or fold, and its purpose was to keep a delicate area clean, not collect unclean matter. And it achieves this function really well. Again, he just blinked a couple of times and said, "Wow, I really need to digest this info. It just flies against everything I ever assumed and everything I've ever been taught." He never really thought about natural adhesions until I asked him why he thought a probe had to be run under the foreskin and around the glans before an infant circ. Then the penny dropped.

I could actually see him processing the information, but I could also see a real internal struggle going on. In just 30 minutes he was unlearning 30 years of assumptions, tuition and intuition.

Finally, I just said, "Doctor, why is this so hard? Nature has figured this out brilliantly. Work with the body, not against it." And he got it. He was so happy to finally understand, but it was clear that it took a while for the pieces to fit together. Physicians (and, I assume, nurses) are highly intelligent, but trained to think and act in a very disciplined way -- and much of that involves rote memorization and "going by the book". But sometimes, you really don't get it until you're presented with it "outside the box".

For me, it was instructive to watch him go from stubborn to enlightened. The experience definitely helped me frame the discussion thereafter with health professionals. Doctors who espouse misinformation aren't bad people; they are merely holding on to faulty abstracts instead of searching out and embracing real-life experience. And when it comes to intact penises, the tragedy is that US culture -- including the medical profession -- has lost 2 or 3 or 4 generations worth of first-hand experience by automatically altering the male body at birth.
DeaGemRy likes this.
#37 of 45 Old 09-17-2012, 08:09 AM

Mother:  I totally agree with what you did.  I married a chinese woman.  We now have a 5 and 4 y.o. boys.  They are both uncircumsised.  We never take them to a regular idiot doctor if at all possible. It is there for a reason (foreskin) and we clean when needed and both boys now are okay with cleanliness. 

#38 of 45 Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 PM

I love this, and every doctor should treat their young patients with such respect!!

One story my mom used to tell me occasionally, as if it were the funniest thing, was about a well child visit when I was probably 2-3 yo. The doctor went to 'check' me (my older sister had labial adhesions as a young girl, so maybe that's what he was checking for? I have no idea), and I guess I sat up and smacked his hand, admonishing him with a stern, "No!" My mom and the pediatrician apparently got a kick out of that. the story always made me uncomfortable, but it was only in recent years that I understood why. I finally asked her, well why wasn't I listened to? Why was I coaxed to allow the dr to examine me when I had just clearly stated my position and feelings on the matter? Because it was 'cute' or 'funny' that I stood up to a man in a white coat? She'd never looked at it from my perspective before, or how it might have contributed to feelings of powerlessness and a later reluctance to ever stand of up authority. Apart from medical necessity or emergency, there is no need to trample on a child's emerging dignity or modesty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post

Our pediatrician, who I trust very much, and who is very much well-informed about the care of the normal, undamaged penis, always opens the diaper at a well-baby check. I don't think that's a problem-- it's a part of their body, like any other, and if I'm paying her to keep an eye on their health, watching for problems in the genital area is part of that.

But the difference is she always asks me first, in an open way that clearly gives me an opening to say no. She clearly tells me, before she does anything at all, exactly what she's looking for, and why, and pauses briefly in case I want to question her or refuse. She's opened DS's diaper twice to check for undescended testicles, and a few times to be able to manipulate his hips better, and a few times to scan for rash. This last time, at DS's three-year exam, she asked HIM if it was okay for her to take a look, and she waited for him to say yes before she did.

When DD1 was 5, the doc asked DD if she could look, and DD refused, and the doctor respected that, and instead turned to me and offered me some suggestions about things to keep an eye on, and asked DD if it was okay if "your mama takes a quick peek the next time you're getting dressed or washed."

That, to me, is what quality health care looks like. A partnership between doctor, child, and parent, with the child's dignity and right to control access to his/her own body respected.

Good for you, OP.
#39 of 45 Old 09-17-2012, 08:50 PM

i few thoughts.

i have twins so i really understand how hectic appointments are!

i tell doctors from the start and on each visit until i realllllly get to know them, that my boy is intact and they are not to touch his penis. i do not say do not retract, because they sometimes dont thing pulling back a little is retracting. i learned this when our wonderful ped who totally greed with me about not retracting still when and almost did it. she really did not think what she was doing "counted"

So its "my son has an intact foreskin, he does not retract yet and for my comfort and his safely, I need to tell you to not touch his penis in any way, if you need it moved, i will be happy to"

i also have a rule that my kids are only undressed while in my laps. i will happily hold and take the diaper off for the legitimate things that should be checked.

yes the descending testicle thing is more than a one time thing, there is a timeframe where they can go up and down easily and they jsut need to check that htey move properly. they also should check for fluid levels. that also goes up and down at times past the first visit.

yes i pay for a whole body check and a large portion of important body parts are covered by a diaper, so it comes off.

yeah most well informed moms think they can spot all the problems, but that is not always the case and more importantly they would be remiss in their duties to your child if they took everyone word on who though themselves informed. it is also the i did not know what i did not know things that you go to other people for.

by the way, my rules apply to my girl too, i always keep an eye on her labia, if i ever say anything that looked like an adhesions, i would not let my doctor touch her labia at all. i would show them and we would talk about it, but no touching, i would not want then to pull it.

lastly, i want to encourage the original poster to not turn away from WBV all together based on this, you did a great job, now find a ped you like and start off with the talk about foreskins and keep benefiting from the rest of the visit.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#40 of 45 Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 AM

Wow! I think this is the best thread I have ever read!

#41 of 45 Old 09-29-2012, 07:26 PM

It's been a while since I posted here but anyone who might remember me, I just wanted to update you on my son's progress.  For those who didn't read my posts from over a year ago, my son was forcibly retracted by our pediatrician at his 6 months wellness visit (he's 2 now).  Unfortunately I was ignorant of the issue with retraction, until I noticed thin red lines on my son's foreskin the day after the doctor visit, did some research and was horrified at what had happened at the hands of our pediatrician.  We changed doctors, and now have a pediatrician that we are very happy and comfortable with.

One thing I was desperate to know was whether anybody's son who had been through something similar had any long term issues related to the retraction, or if there was anything parents could do to limit the damage done.  I promised myself that I would come back here, so that I could help parents looking for answers after having gone through a forced retraction of their son.  I can tell you that my son is absolutely fine.  Just like most 2 year old boys, he is most interested in his "pee-pee", especially in the bath, this obviously being an extended period of time without a diaper.  The tip of his foreskin is loose and does not look tight.  He likes to stretch his foreskin and has also pulled it slightly in the other direction a couple of times, so I know that he is at least partially retractable.  This is an enormous relief after worrying that our pediatrician might have done some long term damage.  One thing I also learned from the wonderful folks here is that problems with retraction usually occur after many multiple forced retractions, but still, I was worried.

Our new pediatrician doesn't even go near my son's penis and even told us, without prompting, that the foreskin should not be forced and to let it loosen naturally which can take some time with some boys.  The only time his diaper has come off at the doctor's office was at the most recent checkup when the doctor checked my son's testicular position; he didn't touch his penis, in fact he didn't even mention it.  Some parents might be glad to know that my son even said to the doctor "no touch pee-pee!" when the doc was examining his testicles, so we didn't even have to say anything on his behalf!  The doctor reassured my son that it was ok as long as Mommy and Daddy were there too.  I think my son saying this is in response to when he attempted to touch my penis when I had just emerged from the shower and he showed a natural childlike curiosity,reaching out his hand.  I told him that we don't touch other's pee-pees, only our own, and no one is allowed to touch his pee-pee.

So, I guess the purpose of this post is to reassure parents who have just gone through the horrible experience of having their son forcibly retracted that the chances are that everything will be absolutely fine.  This is something that I was very eager to know when it had just happened to us; so I hope this post is useful in some way.

#42 of 45 Old 09-30-2012, 01:45 PM

I remember your posts vividly & I thrilled to hear all is well w/your ds.joy.gif

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#43 of 45 Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM

That is great PeterJ... my two youngins say "THATS MINE NOT YOURS" & know very well that even mummy & daddy shouldn't touch unless applying cream. I always let my son know that he was to clean it once it came back & it slowly but surely came back in its own time & he is 7 now so washes it too much which I've had words with him about as well LOL I am SO glad I didn't get him done.

#44 of 45 Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 PM

Thanks guys.  I remember your advice MCatLvr all them months ago, you truly are a treasure here at the forum.  We're lucky to have you around. flowersforyou.gif

#45 of 45 Old 10-11-2012, 06:05 AM

I am glad that I am able to make a small difference every once in awhile. redface.gif

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page