Babble Article: Botched Circumcision - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-17-2010, 02:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.babble.com.au/2010/04/16/...-circumcision/

The saddest part about this is that neither surgery was necessary.

I was particularly horrified at:

Quote:
When I finally got an appointment a month later, I told the pediatric urologist our history. He snorted a laugh. “The child is either circumcised or he’s not. Ben has an incomplete circumcision, and that’s why you have to retract the skin.” He explained that he could cut Ben right there on the table “1-2-3,” that he’d scream, but that it would be beneficial because he could clean out the smegma (sloughed skin and oils that form in an attempt to break up the adhesion) that was trapped under the sealed skin.
#2 of 9 Old 04-17-2010, 01:05 PM

I couldn't read that and not reply. So very, very sad. What I don't get, and never will get, is how someone could put their child through all that and still be "on the fence". Poor baby.

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

#3 of 9 Old 04-18-2010, 10:22 PM

I think it's because no matter how many times you end up saying there is no benefits and I'm like thinkng where was the stats on the 58% of circ in australia & how did she ever get her son circ'ed in australia because I thought australia circ rates were pretty low and that they only circ for medical reason or the other reason.

Didn't also australia have some hospitals ban circumcisions in australia hospitals.

I am a bit suprised to see an uneducated doctor in australia about smegma
#4 of 9 Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
I think it's because no matter how many times you end up saying there is no benefits and I'm like thinkng where was the stats on the 58% of circ in australia & how did she ever get her son circ'ed in australia because I thought australia circ rates were pretty low and that they only circ for medical reason or the other reason.
The 58% refers to living males circumcised which some pro-circ have deliberately encouraged people to think its the infant circumcision rate.
(and is prob too high as per earlier posts)

Infant circ is still kicking here, ranging from <2% in one state to about 20% in
the largest state, NSW. Media tends to be pro-circ here with Morris appearing regularly.

Quote:
Didn't also australia have some hospitals ban circumcisions in australia hospitals.
Yes, all public hospitals state by state.

Quote:
I am a bit surprised to see an uneducated doctor in australia about smegma
There are some doctors pretty uneducated about foreskins etc. here
#5 of 9 Old 04-20-2010, 01:36 PM

the other really awful part is that an otherwise healthy baby has been put under general anaethesia and will possibly have side effects from that.
http://www.newsweek.com/id/165041

In cases where a surgery is necessary, putting a child under general is probably worth the risk. But for this? how terrible.

That story is just horrifying.
XOXO
B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#6 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 04:36 PM

#7 of 9 Old 05-30-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblufig View Post
I couldn't read that and not reply. So very, very sad. What I don't get, and never will get, is how someone could put their child through all that and still be "on the fence". Poor baby.
Well...because the parent "can't" handle the idea that they put their child through such torture if it wasn't a worthwhile thing to have done. So they "have" to believe that circ is of value.

Its the same psychology that makes fraternity hazing produce extremely loyal "brothers." They have to believe that the frat is REALLY worth belonging to...because look at the crap they went through to get in...
#8 of 9 Old 05-30-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitted_in_the_wom View Post
Well...because the parent "can't" handle the idea that they put their child through such torture if it wasn't a worthwhile thing to have done. So they "have" to believe that circ is of value.

Its the same psychology that makes fraternity hazing produce extremely loyal "brothers." They have to believe that the frat is REALLY worth belonging to...because look at the crap they went through to get in...
No, I get the "reasoning" they use; I just don't understand that mentality in general, kwim? I guess A to B to C critical thinking just doesn't make sense to them. Still, very sad.

Jfly-by-nursing1.gif, partner-in-crime to Dfamilybed2.gif, mama to run.gif4, including our brand new rainbow1284.gifbaby.gifmissing my 7-wk-er

#9 of 9 Old 05-30-2010, 07:37 PM

so sad

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page