was: URGENT!! Please help...son in pain-now yeast infection cures? update #7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is 5. Probably more than a year ago he has been able to retract his uncircumsized penis. Lately (seems like several months) he has been complaining of it being itchy, he grabs it a lot, says it hurts. This morning it has been usually painful, he is screaming saying it hurts. I tested him with a home test kit a couple days ago for a uti and it was negative. It looks normal, other than that when he retracts it, there is a peice that goes from the end of the glans back to the foreskin, I can't remember if it was always there or not. When I ask him where it hurts, he retracts it and says on the glans. I made him an appt today for a doc, don't really have a good one, but when I took him there a year ago he didn't touch his penis (we went there for penis issues...I can't remember exactly what though).

I just don't know what to do!!!! I'm so confused on what the issue might be. Yeast infection? Did the foreskin start to reattach? What can I do to ease his pain? He's really upset.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#2 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 PM

The itching part definitely sounds like yeast. You can get monistat OTC at the drug store.

It sounds like your not to sure about your Dr. I would try the yeast cream for a day or two before seeing a Dr I didn't have full faith in. I've just heard too many horror stories about Dr visits for simple problems that end in injury.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#3 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 02:09 PM

If there is a piece that goes from the glans to the foreskin it could be reattaching a bit but should work itself out. The itching sounds like yeast to me.

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#4 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 04:44 PM

Is that attached piece on the underside of the penis? If so, it's probably the frenulum - it's supposed to be there.

I agree that it sounds like yeast. I'd try that first, before the doc.
#5 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 09:08 PM

I agree with everyone else treat with otc monistat for yeast if that dont work then have the Dr. do a culture.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 9 Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasiya View Post
Is that attached piece on the underside of the penis? If so, it's probably the frenulum - it's supposed to be there.

I agree that it sounds like yeast. I'd try that first, before the doc.
I agree about the frenulum. It is not visible until the foreskin is retracted, and is more prominent on some boys than others. It is a sensitive part of the penis, and yeast infections can cause irritation and itching to not only the glans, but the inner foreskin and the frenulum also.

Here is a wikipedia link for a description and a couple of photos of the frenulum in an adult:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frenulu...epuce_of_penis
#7 of 9 Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so after more looking, I do believe that skin is the frenulum, I guess I never looked that closely before! I did take him to the doctor, I totally must have lucked out cause this doctor didn't even touch his penis. He just took one look and said ok. He is going to have the pee cultured to see about any infections or yeast. After doing more research, I'm thinking it's a yeast infection. Anybody ever used boric acid for treatment? My sister's naturopathic clinic prescribes this but she doesn't know how it would work for boys and I can't seem to find any info online. Otherwise I have a prescrip for nyastatin, or whatever it's called. Any suggestions?

DS 7 ~ DS 3

#8 of 9 Old 07-09-2010, 06:57 PM

Acidophilus liquid applied topically to the penis 4-5X a day for a week or two helps with reestablishing a healthy flora in the area. Pour a little in your hand (or have your son do so), and dip the penis in it, and let the acidophilus air dry on.
#9 of 9 Old 07-10-2010, 12:11 AM

I would expect the boric acid to kill the fungi, but I would be concerned that it would burn, but the wikipedia page on boric acid does mention using it for jock itch (male yeast infections) so it probably would be fine. The eye wash I have used has a very small amount of boric acid in it.

If I wanted to go the natural acidic route instead of the pharmaceutical industry route, then I would go for vinegar. I've used it on myself with no ill effect. It is a lot easier to get on short notice than boric acid.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page