My little guy and his penis - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whenever the diaper is off. My son(8mo) gets excited to grab himself. We have to keep moving his hand away to clean him. During bathtime, he sometimes doesnt leave it alone. He even bends in half to try to put it in his mouth.

My husband and I, feel like its inappropriate but know that he is a baby and let him explore himself.
I was a nurse in pediatrics for 7yrs. Changed lots of little boy diapers and never noticed a little boy so eager to grab himself.

Is this because my son is intact and has more sensations than most? Is this why culture started circing little boys, to control them from touching themselves?

Mama to & +:::
#2 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 12:35 PM

I dunno. I think it's pretty normal for little boys to play with their penis, foreskin or no foreskin.
#3 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Awe! I would say its just a phase (well, in my experience its a lifelong phase that lasts right through adulthood )
My boys both were OBSESSED from the moment they discovered it. Every diaper change they were all over it. Then it sorta phased out until we started potty learning then, whoa, all over again. Now they can acheieve moderate erections and make them move w/o using their hands.

I know its sounds a bit much...but it is normal exploration and is also whats intended naturally to help losen their foreskin over time.

wife & mum to 9yo dd, 7yo ds1 & 5yo ds2 and our rescue dog Roger!
#4 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
i agree it's normal. & ds 2 has tried to bend over to get his mouth on it

sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#5 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 02:28 PM

According to Wikipedia at least, circumcision has historically been a means to curtail masterbation:

Quote:
"In the 1890s, it [circumcision] became a popular technique to prevent, or cure, masturbatory insanity. In 1891 the president of the Royal College of Surgeons of England published On Circumcision as Preventive of Masturbation, and two years later another British doctor wrote Circumcision: Its Advantages and How to Perform It, which listed the reasons for removing the 'vestigial' prepuce. Evidently the foreskin could cause 'nocturnal incontinence,' hysteria, epilepsy, and irritation that might 'give rise to erotic stimulation and, consequently, masturbation.'"

reading.gif, mama to Amelie (May 2010), early loss (October 2011), and James (September 2012) vbac.gif

#6 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamatoPeach View Post
Whenever the diaper is off. My son(8mo) gets excited to grab himself. We have to keep moving his hand away to clean him. During bathtime, he sometimes doesnt leave it alone. He even bends in half to try to put it in his mouth.

My husband and I, feel like its inappropriate but know that he is a baby and let him explore himself.
I was a nurse in pediatrics for 7yrs. Changed lots of little boy diapers and never noticed a little boy so eager to grab himself.

Is this because my son is intact and has more sensations than most? Is this why culture started circing little boys, to control them from touching themselves?
My intact DS does this as well. He's 10 mos, but has been doing it for a while. We don't consider it inappropriate, because he also tries to get his foot into his mouth, and tries to eat my elbow. Once he get's bit older, we will start talking to him about polite touch for himself and others.

I'm sure that that what you write about circing being a way to avoid this playing around is correct. I would think that it's more comfortable to play around if you are intact becuase the super sensitive part is hidden.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#7 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 02:39 PM

my ds is 2 and is constantly playing. he tells me "penis is happy mom!" lol. i hope he grows out of it. because of his age it doesn't bother me.

Married Busy Mom to DSS 01/05, DD 11/05, DSD 11/06, DD 02/07, DS 03/08 and baby on the way 11/10
#8 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 02:45 PM

it's not inappropriate at all - he doesn't think of it as a sexual organ like you do. he's thinking oh cool! i can grab that interesting thing they keep covering up on me!

as said above, he's also trying to put his foot in his mouth, grabbing his ears to explore and, if he's like my son, shoving his fingers in your eyes, mouth, nose whatever.

they are just exploring, there's nothing sinister about it.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#9 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Momma of boys X4 and it is very normal

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
#10 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 03:02 PM

IMO, circing has nothing to do with it. Some little boys just like to explore more than others. Girls do it too!

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#11 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
My intact DS does this as well. He's 10 mos, but has been doing it for a while. We don't consider it inappropriate, because he also tries to get his foot into his mouth, and tries to eat my elbow. Once he get's bit older, we will start talking to him about polite touch for himself and others.

I'm sure that that what you write about circing being a way to avoid this playing around is correct. I would think that it's more comfortable to play around if you are intact becuase the super sensitive part is hidden.
A great big They dont see it as sexual and wont for many years to them it is just another neat thing to try and mess with. I also agree it has nothing to do with him being intact it is a boy thing. But it is true circ has roots in curbing the male sexual appetite.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#12 of 25 Old 07-29-2010, 07:40 PM

My little guy was the same way. Once he was old enough to understand, we implemented a "hands off until the bottom is cleaned" rule when it came to touching while changing. But he tended to have the kind of poop that managed to get all over both front and back, and poop on the bottom is enough for me. Now that he is 4, I do remind him that he should not be playing with his penis in front of other people (especially grandparents and guests), but other than that try to just let it go.

Cristina, Mama to Michael 03-16-06, Nathan 01-16-11, and an angel 01-20-09,
Go with your gut, follow your heart.
#13 of 25 Old 07-30-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
it's not inappropriate at all - he doesn't think of it as a sexual organ like you do. he's thinking oh cool! i can grab that interesting thing they keep covering up on me!
THIS. inappropriate? what does that mean to an infant? it is also "inappropriate" to throw food, smear it in his hair, put his hands on his poopy butt, etc.

and, so what that he touches it anyway? it feels good, he touches. my son has been grabbing and pulling it, stretching it, grasping it hard with his scratchy nails and grabby hands... for many months now.

now, my daughter never really touched herself in a like way, certainly not when she was an infant. i figure "it's a boy thing."

TOTALLLY NORMAL. relax!

#14 of 25 Old 07-30-2010, 01:15 AM

I'm gonna guess that the reason you didn't see much penis grabbing when changing diapers at the pediatricians office was b/c of the general strangeness and the novel environment. The babies visiting the Dr were too distracted and stressed to want to play around the way they do at home.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#15 of 25 Old 07-30-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
I'm gonna guess that the reason you didn't see much penis grabbing when changing diapers at the pediatricians office was b/c of the general strangeness and the novel environment. The babies visiting the Dr were too distracted and stressed to want to play around the way they do at home.
I worked in a pediatric hospital. Which was 'home' for some very sick kids Maybe they were too sick to want to play around.

We don't fret about it, we know he is just a baby exploring. It does make us feel a little uncomfortable when the playing continues for long periods of time. Just because we are not use to seeing it. And I am glad he isnt the only one to try to put it in his mouth

I did have some girlfriends say that maybe he does it more since he is intact, so i thought i would ask the experts....thanks guys!

Mama to & +:::
#16 of 25 Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamatoPeach View Post
I did have some girlfriends say that maybe he does it more since he is intact, so i thought i would ask the experts....thanks guys!
ha! wait until he's 6 and starts playing little league and has to wear a cup. i swear, you get 15 little boys out in the field all grabbing their crotches through the whole game.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
#17 of 25 Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 PM

My intact DS does that, but so does my circed nephew.

Melissa, wife to Brian, mommy to my home born, breastfeeding, sling-riding, sleep sharing, cloth diapered, intact kiddos Adam 11/09 and Leah 8/12.

#18 of 25 Old 07-30-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
I dunno. I think it's pretty normal for little boys to play with their penis, foreskin or no foreskin.
Having known many of both types of naked boy babies, I agree with this.

(Though I might add that they do return to the whole "playing with the penis" thing from time to time throughout adulthood... circumcised or not!)

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#19 of 25 Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
now, my daughter never really touched herself in a like way, certainly not when she was an infant. i figure "it's a boy thing."
Nah, not just a boy thing. DD2 found her 'button' and if she's naked, she's more grabby than any of the little boys I've been around, lol... I think some kids are just more fascinated

---feeling like an emu on acid---
#20 of 25 Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 PM

Totally normal!

Now, that quote about circumcision curing hysteria and epilepsy on the other hand... Fascinating though!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#21 of 25 Old 08-02-2010, 04:21 AM

You know, I didn't realize little babies had erections when they were THAT young, so it initially freaked me out when my son would touch himself and/or have erections as a baby.

Then I realized, like you mamas mentioned, that it doesn't mean ANYTHING to a baby. They have no idea about sex or any of that. It's our own ideas about sexuality that we impose on top of what the child is doing, and that's what makes us uncomfortable.

Now that my son is older (5) he knows that he should not touch his penis around anyone. I just tell him that his penis is his private area, so he needs to touch it in private. Not in a way like he should feel shame about it, but just that it's private and no one else should see it or touch it. I think this is part of teaching your child good boundaries about their bodies so they can hopefully keep themselves safe!

Nothing weird about kids (boys or girls) touching themselves though!
#22 of 25 Old 08-04-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfulOne View Post
(well, in my experience its a lifelong phase that lasts right through adulthood )

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#23 of 25 Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 PM

Ds2 is like this. Ds1 was not. Both are intact.
he doesn't try to put it in his mouth but he grabs at it so much and so hard that he gives himself a rash then eventually bleeds so he doesn't get as much naked time as his brother did.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#24 of 25 Old 08-08-2010, 07:19 PM

Totally normal! My little guy's been a grabber since he was six months old, maybe earlier. It's only a problem when he grabs his penis after grabbing his poopy bottom. That usually merits an impromptu bath.

Don't worry about it, mama. Imagine being a baby and discovering your body parts for the first time. I bet you'd be grabby too!

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#25 of 25 Old 08-11-2010, 04:03 PM

this thread totally made me giggle - my little guy is a grabber and he just turned 5 months old!!! i just figured it was a boy thing since my older two are girls. LOL doesn't bother me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page