Tugging on his boy parts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My intact, 17-month DS has lately (past 3-4 days) been tugging quite a bit on his penis/scrotum. Around the house he generally wears either no bottoms, or cotton undies (he's potty trained), and it happens whether he's clothed or unclothed, so I don't think that's the issue.

He acts as though something is bothering him, and though he doesn't cry like it's actually painful, it could be itchy. His penis looks completely normal, no redness, discharge, etc. that I've seen.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what might be going on? We have a WCV coming up this week so I will run it past his ped, though to be honest I hate to even mention anything penis-related because I don't want to be worried about her trying to retract him. TIA!
#2 of 13 Old 09-07-2010, 04:31 AM

I don't know, but this happens with circumcised boys a lot at that age, too.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#3 of 13 Old 09-07-2010, 06:54 AM

This is completely normal behavior for boys- they need to tug in order to loosen the skin gradually. They then stretch it until some day it is completely retractible (with some boys this will happen when they are in puberty).

If you see redness or other signs that something might be wrong, please consult a doctor but usually it is just nature on its course.
#4 of 13 Old 09-07-2010, 12:13 PM

Totally normal behaviour. Once they get older you just have to teach them when it is appropriate. ie when alone. Both my boys would stretch out their foreskin until it was cringe worthy.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#5 of 13 Old 09-07-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysBlue View Post
Totally normal behaviour. Once they get older you just have to teach them when it is appropriate. ie when alone. Both my boys would stretch out their foreskin until it was cringe worthy.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#6 of 13 Old 09-07-2010, 06:56 PM

Males like to touch/adjust/play with their parts. If you watch a baseball game closely on TV, it is amazing how often the players adjust themselves (and that's in public.)

I would not mention it to the Dr, they often make mountains out of mole hills. This is perfectly normal.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#7 of 13 Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 AM

One of my sons really likes to grab and yank and twist during diaper changes. The other one likes to treat things a little more delicately, but I think it's pretty normal behavior for boys in this age range.

To quote George Costanza from Seinfeld, they do it "cause it's there".

Single mom to the Crunchy Froglets, Keith and Carlin, twin boys born 1/30/09. Frozen for 10 years, now unleashed on the world.
#8 of 13 Old 09-08-2010, 02:20 AM

I'm pretty sure they do it because it feels good. Unfortunately, I was RICed, but as a kid I still loved handling my scrotum.

Didn't get over that.
#9 of 13 Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 AM

I would be really careful about mentioning it to a ped as they are unlikely to be comfortable & educated about intact little boys! I have two boys & they both tug & stretch their foreskin a lot. In fact, it seems my 3 year old's foreskin is already retractable because of the way he plays with it (I'm guessing?). But everytime I casually asked if it was hurting he assured me it was not, so I leave him to it!

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#10 of 13 Old 09-08-2010, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysBlue View Post
Ain't that the truth! I cringe for him!

Well thanks so much for the feedback. I wish he were verbal already so he could just tell me what's going on...but I will try to lay my mind to rest since it seems pretty normal. I do agree with PP that to mention it to the dr might create an issue where there is none. He is still tugging and grabbing a lot so I've been letting him sleep nude lately as it seems to make him happier having free and open access. Boys...go figure!
#11 of 13 Old 09-08-2010, 02:36 PM

My ds makes me cringe too. Oh well, he's a boy, and I'm guessing its fun to play with
#12 of 13 Old 09-08-2010, 10:11 PM

totally normal! it feels good, so why not?!
my daughter is thisclose to being an EC grad so she is also constantly bottomless around the house. She is ALWAYS playing with her vagina. ALWAYS. baths, storytime, with 1 hand while she 'cooks' at her kitchen set with the other... literally ALWAYS. I just make sure she washes her hands after she eats anything and don't mention it to her. I'll start teaching her fiddling ettiquite when she's old enough to understand that some things are only appropriate some places.

~Courtney~
IBCLC to be & newly single mama to Ariana Raen 8/31/08
#13 of 13 Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 PM

I wish I could tell you how incredibly normal (and, IMHO, great!) this is.

I have FOUR intact boys, from 10 mos to 6 years. The oldest two, second son in particular, can stretch his foreskin for ... miles?? OK not, miles, but INCREDIBLY far. My DH, who is (sadly) cut, often marvels at it (in a positive way ... he is such an intactivist!)

I think that it's a part of the normal separation process, and part of learning about erogenous zones. NORMAL and GOOD. I would do nothing, and say nothing. Until such time as there is a glaring problem, there's no problem whatsoever. That approach has worked for me for a cumulative 12-child-years, and I'm stickin' with it

Honestly, my biggest issue ISN'T with my 4 intact and gorgeous sons ... my bigger issue is that I wish my DH hadn't been circ'd in England in the 70s. Pretty tight. He doesn't seem to notice, but I do...

xo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page