So so sad and full of guilt and remorse... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
 
DocMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies,

I am the mom of a beautiful, strong 5 month old boy.
I am also a medical student.
Prior to giving birth, mine and my husband's (who was circ'd as a baby) views on circumcision were purely based on medical "facts" and social norms and we didn't really think twice about having the procedure done to our soon. I knew the physician who would be performing it very well, and I had seen many done and the babies seemed to do fine afterwards. There was so much I did not know.
I am normally a very inquisitive, research-minded person, and like so many moms before me I researched anything and everything baby-related except this most important issue. I remember one day going to a medical site just to be certain that I was still in line with my spposed "pros" to circumcision and still on board and I was satisfied. No anti-circ materials every appeared to me and I didn't even know the movement existed. I honestly thought that when parents refused it in the hospital, it was an irresponsible choice they would later pay for. That was further solidified by my experience with a 7 y/o boy with phimosis who later required surgery, which I assisted in. I thought "poor fools" who didn't circ their son. That will luckily not happen to us.
When my DS was born, I didn't change many diapers at first. I think subconsciously I was staying away from his penis before it looked the way it was "supposed to." I was tired and mostly let others take the diaper changing duties but I remember glancing and thinking that it wasn't yet complete because it wasn't circ'd. I am so ashamed.
Everything was fine for three months, and as I began to research the topic of adhesions because I thought my son was getting some, I was bombarded with the no-circ literature and my heart was changed.
I have been awakened to the fact that what we did to him was unnecessary, but my heart aches and I cry and cry and cry. I am in therapy weekly trying to come to terms. I will never again circumcise another boy, so I do believe some good has come from this, but the flip side is I feel like I have been taking it out on my poor sweet babe who never had a choice. I feel myself pulling away and ignoring him because after reading so many harsh critiques, it has made me to feel like he is not whole, not worthy, when I know that he is deserving of everything and he is perfect the way he is, because due to our choices, he is the way he is TODAY and there is nothing than can be done about that.
I need no more convincing that the choices I made were not the ones I'd make today, but that day we acted in his best interest only, and feeling and knowing that is the only way I know I can move forward.
Believe me, no other sons of mine will go through that, and as a future Pediatrician, I will not perform the procedure and will not recommend it to parents who come to me for advice. Neither will I alienate any parents who have made the choice. I believe I can make a fair impact and part of my struggle has been coming to terms with the type of practitioner I'd like to be and having to decide how I feel about the procedure as a future physician.
What I need is help and support to move forward. Some days I feel like I can conquer this and I feel that my DS does not deserve a mama who aches for something that cannot be changed. I look at photos of his perfect penis on the day he was born and my heart longs and aches to be there and to stop time and make a new decision. My heart longs to be able to run after the doctor as she wheeled him down the hallway on his second day of life. But, alas, I cannot. I hope we made a decision he can live with but at this point in his life I know that is a non-issue - I need to be able to live with it in order to be his loving mother and see him as the WHOLE, WONDERFUL little boy who has already helped me become a better person. Unfortunately, it has been at the expense of a part of him which is now gone.
I have read all the links and all the articles about regret and circumcision, and to be honest they are often not so helpful. I feel for these women, but I Do not want to be one of them. I do not want this to bring me to tears when he is 2 years, 7 years, or 20 years old. I want it to become a part of our past together which we learn from, and a misjudgment with far-reaching hidden benefits which we will reap in the long term. There is no point to living with remorse and I know I need to keep convincing myself of that every day.

This is more of a rant but I would love some more input. You all seem to have a wonderful way about you and very accepting of those of us who feel we have made a mistake but do not feel that it should define who we are as mothers. Please, be kind. Thank you for reading.
DocMom is offline  
#2 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 10:24 AM
 
bluetoes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All I can offer you is a virtual hug! Honestly, your son is going to be fine and you have to forgive yourself. You are going to be doing a huge service to some many children and parents out there by learning this lesson and that is an AMAZING thing!


What's done is done. If your son ever asks why just tell him you thought you were doing what was best. Every single day we just try to do what is best and sometimes we realize we made mistakes despite our best efforts!

Just keep working hard on your schooling so you can join the frontlines of protecting little boys from this procedure!
bluetoes is offline  
#3 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
 
DocMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you so much for your comments.
I do feel that in a way my heart has been touched so that I can go on and help so many other babies. In a way, it is as if my sweet boy going through what he went through has woken up his mommy in a way that would have never happened otherwise, and will allow this one misjudgement to turn into a positive thing for so many other babies to come (his brothers included).

I just need to think of him as a "warrior" of sorts and realize that if he is as sensible and as much of a straight shooter as my husband is, which I hope, he will never feel inferior and will love his body the way it is and no other way. I don't want him to feel inferior in any way and I don't believe he or any other babies who have been circ'd should feel this way. It is enough for those of us who are going through the process to feel like we have acted wrongly on behalf of our babies, but we should continue to educate without alienating, which I think can be a difficult thing to accomplish. It will require treading a fine line, but I will ensure that if there is any talk of "missing out" or anything of the sort, it will come from him and never from me.

Thank you.
DocMom is offline  
#4 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 AM
 
Fyrestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When we know better. we do better.

As a Ped, you are in the position to change minds, protect babies and really make a difference.

Have you looked into the vaccination controversy? There is another side to that as well.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Fyrestorm is offline  
#5 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 11:34 AM
 
kittywitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Room of Requirement
Posts: 13,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)


My son is undergoing a second meatotomy in a few weeks due to my mistake. My only hope is that my story will protect infant boys close to us from having the same thing done.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif
 
  

kittywitty is online now  
#6 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
 
DocMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post


My son is undergoing a second meatotomy in a few weeks due to my mistake. My only hope is that my story will protect infant boys close to us from having the same thing done.
Have you forgiven yourself? I believe forgiveness is so important, and at certain times on certain days, I feel the power of that forgiveness and it feels good.

Luckily, your son will likely never know what he had to have done and will suffer no ill-effects, so unless he is for some reason unsatisfied about his circ and brings it up, it will be a non-issue. You can just take what you've learned and do the best you can in the future, like I will strive to do. But importantly, I think, is to do this while accepting that our boys are just as good and "whole" as any others and should never be punished or made to feel inferior for our misjudgements.
DocMom is offline  
#7 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Banned
 
Yulia_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so sorry, mama. So many hugs to you (HUGS). Every single parent make mistakes and therefore, have to live with a regret. We just have to accept it as a part of parenting journey. My son is intact, so no regrets there, BUT I endlessly regret not doing my homework on vaccines prior to partually vaccinating him as a baby (I stopped when he was 8 months old though, thanks god!). I SO wish someone just told me that there was something about the subject I needed to research, but no one did. My son is fine, but still knowing what I know now about vaccines I just can't forgive myself for letting them inject this poison into his presious body and ignoring my mama-bear instincts to just grab him and run away. Because I regret it so much and wish someone had told me (but no one did), I'm telling it to you now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMom View Post
That was further solidified by my experience with a 7 y/o boy with phimosis who later required surgery, which I assisted in.
I'd say 99% sure that the only reason this little boy had a surgery is because american doctors' ignorance about the issue of foreskin and normal penis development. Phimosis is NORMAL for kids, this is how it is supposed to be. Only 50% of boys retract by the age of 10 which is 100% normal. Many do not retract until after puberty (which is, once again, NORMAL). Just wanted to make this comment for the sake of readers.
Yulia_R is offline  
#8 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 01:02 PM
 
dakotablue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


We made the same mistake with DS. I have forgiven myself and Dh because I know the decision we made was from the heart. We did the best we could do with the information we had. I chose not to regret because all it does is destroy you. We circumcised our son because we love him. We will not circumcise future children because we love them from a more informed place.

Your Dh turned out fine. My Dh turned out fine. My DS and your DS will turn out fine. We can only move forward and not let out craning necks tip us on the rest of the path.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

 

dakotablue is offline  
#9 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
 
DocMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotablue View Post


We made the same mistake with DS. I have forgiven myself and Dh because I know the decision we made was from the heart. We did the best we could do with the information we had. I chose not to regret because all it does is destroy you. We circumcised our son because we love him. We will not circumcise future children because we love them from a more informed place.

Your Dh turned out fine. My Dh turned out fine. My DS and your DS will turn out fine. We can only move forward and not let out craning necks tip us on the rest of the path.
Wow. A million hugs to you. By sharing that with me you have given me a gift. I can sense the calm and peace in your reply. Especially when you say "we circumcised our son because we love him." Precisely. Thank you, thank you, thank you.. you have infused so hope and love into my heart this morning and I thank you deeply. I will carry this with me always.
DocMom is offline  
#10 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 03:19 PM
 
MCatLvrMom2A&X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: With Vin Diesel ;) YUMMMM
Posts: 14,793
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulia_R View Post
I'm so sorry, mama. So many hugs to you (HUGS). Every single parent make mistakes and therefore, have to live with a regret. We just have to accept it as a part of parenting journey. My son is intact, so no regrets there, BUT I endlessly regret not doing my homework on vaccines prior to partually vaccinating him as a baby (I stopped when he was 8 months old though, thanks god!). I SO wish someone just told me that there was something about the subject I needed to research, but no one did. My son is fine, but still knowing what I know now about vaccines I just can't forgive myself for letting them inject this poison into his presious body and ignoring my mama-bear instincts to just grab him and run away. Because I regret it so much and wish someone had told me (but no one did), I'm telling it to you now.



I'd say 99% sure that the only reason this little boy had a surgery is because american doctors' ignorance about the issue of foreskin and normal penis development. Phimosis is NORMAL for kids, this is how it is supposed to be. Only 50% of boys retract by the age of 10 which is 100% normal. Many do not retract until after puberty (which is, once again, NORMAL). Just wanted to make this comment for the sake of readers.
I agree. That poor boy being circed for no reason because phimosis isnt even able to be diagnosed until well into puberty. Since being non retractable till then is normal for the majority of boys.

Be gentle with yourself mama we all make mistakes

 
SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

MCatLvrMom2A&X is offline  
#11 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 03:29 PM
 
kittywitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The Room of Requirement
Posts: 13,486
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMom View Post
Have you forgiven yourself? I believe forgiveness is so important, and at certain times on certain days, I feel the power of that forgiveness and it feels good.

Luckily, your son will likely never know what he had to have done and will suffer no ill-effects, so unless he is for some reason unsatisfied about his circ and brings it up, it will be a non-issue. You can just take what you've learned and do the best you can in the future, like I will strive to do. But importantly, I think, is to do this while accepting that our boys are just as good and "whole" as any others and should never be punished or made to feel inferior for our misjudgements.
I could never forgive myself. I have to rip open my 8 yo's urethra after surgery every time he urinates. It would be impossible for me to forgive myself for that. And he will remember. He remembered the last surgery 3 or so years ago and he will definitely remember this one at age 8. We've already discussed circumcision and how it was my mistake. My son hopefully will be functional as an adult, but never whole without his foreskin. He has endured years of pain and humiliation from enuresis. I do not want him to feel inferior, but my goal is to get him functional and happy at this point. I would never not bring up the circumcision. The meatal stenosis is directly related to it, and it would be a lie for me to skirt the issue. He has every right to know why this is going on so he knows it isn't his fault.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif
 
  

kittywitty is online now  
#12 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 PM
 
Crunchy Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So glad to see you here and glad that your experience has given you a change of heart on circ. Heaven knows we need more pediatricians in this country who are intact friendly and knowledgeable about natural male anatomy.

I was wondering if you're familiar with the group Doctors Opposing Circumcision? http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org/ They are a tremendous resource for someone in your position. There is all kinds of information there about the structure and function and normal development of the intact penis. They will also be good support system as you go foreward when you decline to perform circumcisions during your training.

Hope you will stick around here.

Single mom to the Crunchy Froglets, Keith and Carlin, twin boys born 1/30/09. Frozen for 10 years, now unleashed on the world.
Crunchy Frog is offline  
#13 of 38 Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned
 
Yulia_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I could never forgive myself. I have to rip open my 8 yo's urethra after surgery every time he urinates. It would be impossible for me to forgive myself for that. And he will remember. He remembered the last surgery 3 or so years ago and he will definitely remember this one at age 8. We've already discussed circumcision and how it was my mistake. My son hopefully will be functional as an adult, but never whole without his foreskin. He has endured years of pain and humiliation from enuresis. I do not want him to feel inferior, but my goal is to get him functional and happy at this point. I would never not bring up the circumcision. The meatal stenosis is directly related to it, and it would be a lie for me to skirt the issue. He has every right to know why this is going on so he knows it isn't his fault.
oh mama, I'm so so sorry . many hugs to you. please forgive yourself, you love your little one so much and that is what counts...
Yulia_R is offline  
#14 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 AM
 
mum4vr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMom View Post
Believe me, no other sons of mine will go through that, and as a future Pediatrician, I will not perform the procedure and will not recommend it to parents who come to me for advice. Neither will I alienate any parents who have made the choice. I believe I can make a fair impact and part of my struggle has been coming to terms with the type of practitioner I'd like to be and having to decide how I feel about the procedure as a future physician.
What I need is help and support to move forward.


Mama, you need to love and forgive yourself just as you say you will do for other parents who regret that choice. YOU are a parent who didn't know different, and now have regrets-- how will you treat others like yourself? You say you will not alienate them, but you alienate yourself. You deserve this loving acceptance that you would offer others-- offer it to yourself, too. Remember, DH was circ'd and is now your complete, wonderful husband. DS will grow to be the same-- he loves you (both DH and DS) and would never want you to suffer so over what cannot be changed.

Also keep in mind, that like other losses, the grief will fade in time and you will heal. You are a strong mama, and you can get thru this for your own sake and for the sake of your family.



blessings
mum4vr is offline  
#15 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned
 
Yulia_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DocMom, thank you so much for wanting to make a difference! You will be in the position to do so. You are a wonderful mother and will make a great pediatritian. Thank you for all the future boys you will safe!
Yulia_R is offline  
#16 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 03:19 AM
 
fruitful womb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Fort Worth TX
Posts: 2,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I understand your feeling towards your son, tragically too well.

The more my friend boasted about her intact son and the more my sister-in-law did the same, it seemed as if they were comparing their son to mine. That really hurt me because I was hurting for my ds. (btw, I've since let them both know how upset I am at them for not saying a single thing to me about genital integrity before my son was born and lit into them when they said they were so glad someone had told them. WTH is that? competition much?)

I tried to change that disconnected feeling. I went chasing for a re-connection.

In a way, I have done more for my firstborn (to whom I feel like I failed him for not having the info I do now): breastfed till he was 4, all sorts of enrichment programs, poured nearly all of our income into him, and all this for one reason:

I was trying to make it up to him somehow.

To make matters even worse, he had meatal stenosis, a buried penis, and an excruciating, blood curdling screams, growth spurt because he didn't have enough skin to grow into. God only knows what puberty will bring for him.




Speak out. Please share your story far and wide. You are in an incredible position to educate your hospital & your client's parents. Remorse and regret is perpetuated due to the lack of necessary information. There are way too many parents saying, "I wish I had known". That needs to stop. They need to know, now! Before their son is born!

There are many respectful physicians and scholars who have elected their son(s) to an arbitrary penis surgery. They have come to the same conclusions as you did and their future sons and grandsons are intact. Since then, they have become our loudest and most profound voices.

Your son needs you momma. More now than ever
fruitful womb is offline  
#17 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 03:39 AM
 
treegardner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: America's Finest City
Posts: 566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hugs. We as parents do what we feel is best for our children with the information we have. Sometimes we learn later that we could have done things better, but doing what we think is best is all we can ask of ourselves.

joy.giflurk.gif

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
treegardner is offline  
#18 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 10:59 AM
 
Pirogi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DocMom, I would suggest journaling to capture your feelings right now, including your posts here. Keep that journal for your son, and if there is ever a discussion about circumcision, you can show him at the right time how you felt about it afterwards. I see a difference in feeling remorse that evolves into healing, and remorse that continues and never resolves. I think the remorse you feel now is healthy, and I believe that you will get to the place where healing can begin.

Good luck.
Pirogi is offline  
#19 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 11:18 AM
 
SubliminalDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Outside of Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DocMom,

We also circumcised, twice actually. At the time we did it, we thought we were doing the right thing. And to be honest, even now, I don't look at it as the "wrong" thing, but just not the best choice we could have made.

Our boys have not had any problems up to this point with their circumcisions. And I choose not to beat myself up, because I know that I did not do anything to consciously harm them, and I only wanted to the best I knew how. Much like how I did not make all the best choices with my first son, because I simply didn't know. So when I had my second son, I was able to improve as a parent. I am not proud that I didn't do better the first time around, but I also don't hold myself totally responsible because I simply didn't know to do better.

My DH was a very hard sell, even more recently, on the unnecessary-ness of circumcision. But I was finally able to convince him, and for him it was enough that he said, "So we screwed up our kids then?" Well, yea, we kind of did.

If we ever had another son, he would not be circumcised. And that's, really, all that I can do. And so I'm ok with that.
SubliminalDarkness is offline  
#20 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 11:36 AM
 
Ron_Low's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My advice is get over it for now. Most cut guys couldn't care less (because they don't know what they're missing).

BUT, there may come a day when the weight of what he has lost will sink in with him and HE will have some grieving to do. THAT is when you need to do your grieving and feeling bad. Until then whistle past the graveyard.

-Ron
HIS body, HIS decision.
Ron_Low is offline  
#21 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned
 
Yulia_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Low View Post
My advice is get over it for now. Most cut guys couldn't care less (because they don't know what they're missing).

BUT, there may come a day when the weight of what he has lost will sink in with him and HE will have some grieving to do. THAT is when you need to do your grieving and feeling bad. Until then whistle past the graveyard.
Ron, you know I love you for those beautiful bumperstickers you made for me . Havinng said that I think it is really not a very good advice. Saying a mother who is going through a prosess of griving and mourning (over her desision and her son's body part that was needlessly cut off) to "get over it" neither validates her feelings about it nor respects her grief and regret. Impovering a person to work through the sorrow and regret in order to move on and telling them "to get over it" are two very different things.

And another thing, about this "he wouldn't know what he is missing" comment. I would highly recommend her to talk to her son when he is older (in his teens, perhaps) and explain him in a gentle way what exactly was taken from him and what are the usual consiqenses. This way, first of all he can make a choice whether he wants to restore (of course I'm talking about the non-sergical restoration...OP ask Ron--yes this very Ron whose post I'm critisizing here --about restoration, he is an expert in the area, so you know what's possible when your son is older). But what's most important is that her son will understand that this is not something that should ever be done to his sons. A friend of mine talked to her 12yo about circ, explained to him that she didn't know any better, appologized to him. The boy thought for few minutes and said that it is sad and that he will not do this to his kids. 5 minutes later he was happily playing ball with his friends. It really is that simple. My son is 5 and a question of vaccines came up not that long ago (he asked me what those shots some kids were talking about were). I explained him in a way that he could understand and I told him that when he was a baby I didn't know any better and did allow him getting some of those shots. I told him that I regret it deeply even though he is fine (beyond his eczema that started with the shots), I appologized to him and let him know that his sister is vaccines-free. I also told him that I would never allow this happen to him again. He totally understood everything, including my deep regret. The next second he was playing like the conversation never took a place. Kids know that we--their parents--aren't perfect, but they love us and they know that we love them to death. And you know what, with all our faults and imperfections we are still perfect to them.
Yulia_R is offline  
#22 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Dev
 
Dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: WI - U.S.A.
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My heart goes out to all those mama’s and papa’s who learned too late the adverse consequences of consenting to have their little boys circumcised. I commend them for standing up and spreading the word to end the practice and protect other boys. The regret in their voices is so sincere and painfully heartfelt. Their voices need to be heard to help end the still popular practice of amputating parts of male children’s penises in the 21st century.
DocMom, don't be too hard on yourself because most of the blame should go to our country's ignorant, misinformed, and circ. happy culture, in addition to the licensed physician who amputated your newborn son's normal, healthy, non-diseased prepuce.
I'm glad you've joined the fight to protect other boys which will make you one of the better well-informed pediatricians that protect the genital integrity rights of All children.
Best Regards to you and your son,
Devin
Dev is offline  
#23 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 PM
 
Storm Bride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 27,300
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OP: Guilt is a tough one. I carry a lot of it, myself, and I know it's hard to shake.

That said...I think the reason for guilt is to motivate us and to trigger positive change in the way we behave. You've learned what circ really is and what it costs. You won't do it again. You intend to run a pediatric practice that won't perform them or promote them. You'll no doubt provide proper information on care of the intact penis, sparing many boys from the potential issues caused by forced retraction, etc.

What I'm saying is...your guilt is doing, and has done, its job. You don't need to hold onto it, because it's already motivated you to change the pattern. I'm so glad you've realized the truth, even though it hurts.



(And, yeah - I know that the guilt having done its job really makes no difference, but I still thought I'd put it out there.)

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Storm Bride is offline  
#24 of 38 Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 PM
 
Fyrestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Also, make sure your son knows and understands your regret - hopefully he will make this stop with his generation and not pass this horrible custom on to his children

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
Fyrestorm is offline  
#25 of 38 Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 PM
 
sleet76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 995
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DocMom,

I am sorry you are hurting. You did the best you knew to do, and are now able to make a different decision moving forward. It will be okay. I wanted to tell you one thing that you are in a special position to do--it is something that was done for my DH and I (and our sons). My DH is a physician, an ophthalmologist. When he was in medical school, he was introduced to the idea of keeping boys intact as a part of his medical training. (Yes, he went to med school in the USA) During his rotation in the urology department at the University of Michigan, he was presented with the idea of circumcision as a human rights issue, and they were anti-circ and pro-intactness. Soon after that rotation, I got pregnant with out first child, and he brought the idea of not circumcising to me and asked me to look into it because he did not want to circumcise any of our children. A quick overview of the literature led me to agree with him.

I had never heard of not circumcising until that point. I am sure that if our oldest had been a boy and DH hadn't learned about not circumcising in school, that we would have done had our oldest cut. As it played out, we were lucky.

You will be in a position to teach others over the next few years, most likely. At least during your residency, probably. You can spread the news to others, and help to stem the tide of circumcisions greatly. Not to mention letting your patients know that there is no need to circumcise. You are in position to help the intact cause better than most people.

Personally, I am relieved and I feel very lucky that I got the news in time about not circumcising, and I make sure that I at the very least encourage friends and family to look into it and offer to send them information. I let them know that there is a real decision to be made, and that I am thankful that I got the info in time, and that they should make a real informed decision and not just go with the flow. Giving information out to people has resulted in a few people making the decision to not circ, but most still do. And that is much harder to understand--to know and still choose it, over not knowing and letting it happen. I could have so easily been the latter. My love to you. Your little one will in all likelihood be just fine. And I hope that you can forgive yourself sooner rather than later.

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
sleet76 is offline  
#26 of 38 Old 10-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned
 
Yulia_R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lafayette, CO
Posts: 3,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DocMom, just wanted to make sure you know about Doctors Opposing Circumcision. Here is their contact info http://www.doctorsopposingcircumcisi...t/contact.html
Yulia_R is offline  
#27 of 38 Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM
 
jessjgh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Shore MA
Posts: 4,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
((Hugs)) Sharing this will make a difference, it WILL prevent someone from making the same mistake. It WILL make it easier for someone to trust their instincts. It WILL make it easier for someone to question.
Also please consider adding your voice to this thread and sharing the thread around:
If you regret circumcising your son(s), please post here.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=112410

I know it helped me make my decision, stick with it, comforted me, and strengthened me. In many ways it is just sheer luck that separates me from you- the chance words of a stranger on the internet that resonated with me and kept me searching.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
jessjgh1 is offline  
#28 of 38 Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
DocMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi again everyone. Thank you for the kind, thoughtful replies.
It's been a long, tough week for me.. I feel I am in the throes of the healing process, which is so painful and raw and real for me that I cannot simply ignore it because then it just returns, rearing its ugly head.

I have a just a few key issues which I think are what's holding me back from my relationship with my sweet baby boy at this point, and the things I wish to nip in the bud with the help of some of you who may have been through it. I appreciate any advice, but please be gentle...

#1 - I am all for advocating and sharing the cold hard facts with people in an effort to limit unnecessary surgery in babies. But I am also concerned with what my son's reaction (if any) will be to his circumcision. I read an account of a momma who (http://www.mothering.com/discussions.../t-677677.html .. see Periwinkle's post) has one son circ'd and one who isn't and she hits the nail on the head for me when she says she doesn't regret (b/c she didn't know any better, thus its pointless) and that she doesn't want to unload any of her "crap" onto her sons. I apologize if that sounds offensive, but what I am left with now is a little boy/young man who may never (as Ron_Low put it) come to "know" what he is missing, or frankly think he is missing anything at all. There IS the chance that he will like his penis the way it is and at this point, why should I come in and try to make him see it any other way? Part of me does not want to admit any fault, to be honest, because a decision was made in HIS best interest with the information I had available to me at the time. Yes, I wish I had been more open-minded and done much more extensive research, but what's done is done. It happened for a reason and if he's perhaps not going to come to regret anything of his own account, why should I be the one to try to put ideas in his head? For example, my very resistant-to-change DH is perfectly fine the way he is and while he would defer to me in any future circ decisions, could really see it either way. Who am I to try to convince him he is defective or missing anything, if he would otherwise go through life happy as a clam, KWIM?? I hope that makes some sense.

#2 - I am very much hung up on the idea that I have betrayed his autonomy and taken something from him that cannot be replaced. I'm gonna be honest... I pray so hard that he will not wallow his life away wishing for a foreskin. I know I may be being a bit selfish here, but I hope he does grow up to be part of the "majority," ie those who are circ'd but are fine with the way things are. I know that the possibility still exists and I Would be there for him 100% in any instance, but I hope he doesn't ever end up on a foreskin restoration website claiming the injustices that were done unto him have hurt him so deeply, but instead out there enjoying life to its fullest with a perfectly functioning penis which gets the job done in every way.

#3 - When I first came here two months ago, I was dreading the possibility of more male children. Now, I hope my next is a male so I can leave him uncirc'd. But what I also hope and pray for is that I do not view my two boys differently. I do not want to look at DS for the rest of my life thinking that I took something from him. I err, I am human, etc. etc. but he is the way he is for a reason and he is perfect in my eyes.

This is such a ramble.. and in less than an hour I'll be rambling about it to my therapist so maybe I'm just brainstorming, but this is how I feel.
The phrase still sticks with me: "We circumcised him because we love him." Simple as that. A decision was made and I have to believe that it all happened for a reason and not in vain. If only to allow for deeper learning, for greater life lessons, for reasons so beyond my control that I cannot begin to understand...
DocMom is offline  
#29 of 38 Old 10-06-2010, 08:15 PM
 
SubliminalDarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Outside of Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I may get flamed for this.......

I just don't think it's THAT big of a deal. And I agree with you. I am not going to sit my kids down and tell them all of this stuff because, the chances are actually quite good, that they won't have a problem with their penis the way it is now. That it'll work for them fine, they'll like it just fine, and so on. And I do not want to create a source of problems for them any moreso than was already physically done. I did not do anything malicious. I did what I thought was right.

It's kind of like how i never ask my son, "Are you nervous?" about anything. Because unless he says to me, "I'm nervous," or something similar, I don't want to plant the idea that he should be nervous. It's also in things like us being naked in our household. I am not going to ask, "Does it make you feel uncomfortable when you/I/he are naked?" because he has never said it does, and I don't want to create the thought that maybe it *should* make him uncomfortable. If he brings it up, I will address it as I think is appropriate.

Should circumcision be routine? No. Do I wish I hadn't had it done to my kids? Yes. Would I circumcise any other sons I might have? No. But what's done is done, and all I can do for my kids is move forward. If/When they are expecting sons of their own, if it hasn't been brought up, then I will bring up the topic.
SubliminalDarkness is offline  
#30 of 38 Old 10-06-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
DocMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my goodness.. you must be my mind twin!!

So much more eloquently and concisely than I could have ever written it.. you've stated my thoughts exactly.

The comparison to asking your son if he is nervous is a wonderful one and sums it up perfectly for me. Thank you for sharing your strength with me tonight.

Honestly, not 100 days of therapy could do so much good for me as brainstorming on this site with like-minded people.
DocMom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off