How to talk to friend who is planning circ. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 10-14-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a friend who is due Nov. 14. I just attended her baby shower this past weekend, and somehow the topic of circ came up ( I didn't mention it). My friend said that the classes at the hospital made a good point about boys being able to have someone to relate to, and that it's a good idea for them to look the same as their dad for this reason. That seems to be the main reason for circing. I'd like to give her some info on circ in a way that won't be perceived as judgemental. Is it worth it or even possible to try this? Maybe just email a link and say, "Here is some information you may not have heard." If so, what would be a good link to send?

Heather, Vegan Dietitian, Wife to DH since 9-04, mom to Pepper : and mom to born 10/09
#2 of 29 Old 10-14-2010, 04:57 PM

I would write her. Just saying that you might be worried that the hospital was giving one-sided info and you feel she deserves to make a completely informed decision. It is way easier to talk about it before it is done than after they have made the decision(people get more defensive when they have already done it. For this reason and because I ha e like 4 friends due very soon with boys, I put an informative video on my blog about circ and just hope that they check my blog and reconsider.

SAHM to my beautiful girl(9/06) and boy(3/09).
#3 of 29 Old 10-14-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Can you post the link to the video? Thanks!

Heather, Vegan Dietitian, Wife to DH since 9-04, mom to Pepper : and mom to born 10/09
#4 of 29 Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 PM

I wonder if that's why I never got along great with my mom. Maybe our labia looked different? (Hard to say, since I didn't spend lots of time looking at her genitals...) If only mine were trimmed up to look just like hers, we'd have a better relationship today.

Why is this even presented as a serious argument for circing?

I like your idea for an opening, "here's some info you might not have heard..." It's friendly and non-judgmental. Here's a link to many other links that offer a less quaint side of circumcision. Rather than overwhelm her, perhaps you could send her the direct link of a couple regarding circ complications, pain, benefits of foreskin, etc.

Here's another favorite of mine.

If she's a real researcher, perhaps take a look at Saving Penises. They have a info pack that they could send to your friend with lots of research and even a few DVD's! They will send it anonymously, if you're worried that your friend would get upset with you for mentioning this. They also have a link on their page to lots of pro-intact books.

It's great that you are tactfully speaking up. There have been many mamas who have chosen not to circ because a friend helped them understand why babies are best left intact!

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#5 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 AM

Penis comparisons is not something that father and sons bond over. Sure, boys look up to their dads and see them as role models, but believe me the penis is not the source of attraction here. As one poster on this forum once said, if a Dad wants to look like his newborn son, he better shave his pubic hair and pack ice in his shorts, seriously.

Out of curiosity, do you know in what context the hospital made that statement, because I'm having a hard time believing it was about circumcision, given the idiocy of this line of thought.
#6 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 AM

circumcised dads can be insecure about their son having a foreskin b/c it reminds them of what they don't have anymore.

so, it's not really about the son wanting to look like dad, but rather the dad not wanting to be different from the son.

IMO.

#7 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 02:03 AM

saving penises has some really good articles that the pp linked to already.

looking like dad is one thing that really bugs me. sure if your going to have it done do research and have a real reason and be it your reason not becasue someone told you to. I go by a few things... one the sexual context of why circumcision is in current scoiety. It is not the tradition jewish way that was biblical. Second I go for default my baby comes that way I would have no intention of cutting off an arm casue daddy was missing an arm why would i cut up there sexual oragn????

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#8 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 04:24 AM

1) No two circumcisions look alike. It is not a standardized operation, because there is no identifiable structure to remove or dotted line to cut along. Some are loose, some are tight, some have pronounced scars, some have minimal scars, some (many) are lopsided, some have adhesions or skin bridges, some have dramatic color differences between shaft skin and mucosa and others don't. It is an enormous myth that cut & uncut are binary, so that's a ridiculous reason to put a child through surgery.

2) Absolutely no child's penis is going to look like his adult parent's. By the time DS has size and hair, he'll be going through puberty and penis comparisons with Dad will be unthinkable.

3) Circ'ing a child to look like Dad addresses only the psychology of the father, it's never an issue for the child. If it were, how did we ever go from being an intact nation to a largely circumcised nation without massive collective trauma?
#9 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 11:54 AM

Totally right on Brant plus many guys when they are asked do you know if your dad is circ'ed they will look at you as if you were crazy but the rest assume that their dad's are circ'ed because they are then they automatically belive it in their mind even though in some cases it may be the opposite.
#10 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I did email her some info (the link to the noharm research page), and while she did thank me for it and appreciated it, she said they are still circing, siting the discoveryhealth.com's info that HPV and cervical cancer rates are higher in uncirc'd men (I guess they are more than twice as likely to get it), as well as more likely to get syphilis and chlamydia.

Well, I'm glad I gave her the info. I would have felt guilty if I hadn't. And I'm glad that she appreciated it.

Thanks for all of your advice.

#11 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 02:37 PM

poor baby

and honestly, I never buy these lame excuses of how people looked into it but are still circing because of XYZ. IMO they never really considered leaving the child intact.
#12 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRD View Post
discoveryhealth.com's info that HPV and cervical cancer rates are higher in uncirc'd men (I guess they are more than twice as likely to get it), as well as more likely to get syphilis and chlamydia.
Here's how you respond to that:

1) Men don't have cervices, thus it will be hard to get cervical cancer.
2) Is she going to tell her son, "You are circumcised so you don't need to wear a condom"?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#13 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 03:52 PM

Cervical cancer is caused by HPV. If there is any link between cervical cancer and circumcision, it is very weak. HPV like all other STDs can be prevented through safe sex. I just skimmed the Discovery Health article, and basically it's written in such way that if you are for circumcision, you will still be pro after reading it and vice versa. It really gives no substantive information, and quotes studies without putting them into any context. I can't stress enough that statistics and studies can be used in any way one wishes in order to back up one's findings, especially if they lack a context. On that note, I would check out the Dr. Sears article. I think he writes well on the issue for people who are on the fence and have little factual information.
#14 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Well, I did email her some info (the link to the noharm research page), and while she did thank me for it and appreciated it, she said they are still circing, siting the discoveryhealth.com's info that HPV and cervical cancer rates are higher in uncirc'd men (I guess they are more than twice as likely to get it), as well as more likely to get syphilis and chlamydia.
OMG...this drives me nuts. He's a newborn. They're not really a high risk group for HPV, syphilis or chlamydia, ime.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#15 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Here's how you respond to that:

1) Men don't have cervices, thus it will be hard to get cervical cancer.
Yeah, in paraphrasing what she said, I said it wrong. It will result in higher cancer rates in women because men will pass HPV to their partners...

#16 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Here's another quote from discoveryhealth "With good hygiene, safe-sex practices and regular medical checkups throughout a man's life, circumcision isn't necessary. However, it should be left up to each parent to learn as much as possible about the subject, weigh the pros and the cons and make an informed decision. A circumcised boy is unlikely to know any different or care one way or the other, and the same holds true for an uncircumcised boy." Emphasis mine.

That's terrible.

#17 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2soren View Post
I wonder if that's why I never got along great with my mom. Maybe our labia looked different? (Hard to say, since I didn't spend lots of time looking at her genitals...) If only mine were trimmed up to look just like hers, we'd have a better relationship today.

Why is this even presented as a serious argument for circing?

I like your idea for an opening, "here's some info you might not have heard..." It's friendly and non-judgmental. Here's a link to many other links that offer a less quaint side of circumcision. Rather than overwhelm her, perhaps you could send her the direct link of a couple regarding circ complications, pain, benefits of foreskin, etc.

Here's another favorite of mine.

If she's a real researcher, perhaps take a look at Saving Penises. They have a info pack that they could send to your friend with lots of research and even a few DVD's! They will send it anonymously, if you're worried that your friend would get upset with you for mentioning this. They also have a link on their page to lots of pro-intact books.

It's great that you are tactfully speaking up. There have been many mamas who have chosen not to circ because a friend helped them understand why babies are best left intact!
lol the beginning is too funny

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#18 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
My friend said that the classes at the hospital made a good point about boys being able to have someone to relate to, and that it's a good idea for them to look the same as their dad for this reason. That seems to be the main reason for circing.
My response to that line of reasoning is : " How often to you expect father and son to be sitting around comparing their penii ??"
#19 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, I'm glad I gave her the info. I would have felt guilty if I hadn't. And I'm glad that she appreciated it.

Thanks for all of your advice.
I've never understood this reasoning at all. Amputation as preventative medicine when there's no medical basis for it?

If I took my daughter in to a doctor and said, "I've heard that she has a 1/9 chance of developing breast cancer sometime during her life. Even though we have no family history of it, just to be safe, can you please remove all her breast tissue?"

I wonder what the doctor would say about it.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#20 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japonica View Post
I've never understood this reasoning at all. Amputation as preventative medicine when there's no medical basis for it?
Exactly!

I wonder if the mother is going to remove her son's testicles on account of that he COULD end up with testicular cancer. Actually, you'd better remove the eyelids as well.

Better remove that appendix and spleen as well, since they're "unnecessary."
#21 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Here's another quote from discoveryhealth "With good hygiene, safe-sex practices and regular medical checkups throughout a man's life, circumcision isn't necessary. However, it should be left up to each parent to learn as much as possible about the subject, weigh the pros and the cons and make an informed decision. A circumcised boy is unlikely to know any different or care one way or the other, and the same holds true for an uncircumcised boy." Emphasis mine.

That's terrible.
Heather, although you've already sent your email I wanted to still provide you with a link that discusses the 'look like dad' excuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yRFN...eature=related

As far as the 'cervical cancer excuse' you should point out that even if it was true, the introduction of the HPV vaccine over shadows any potential benefit circumcision may provide.
#22 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I really wish I could respond to her with some of your excellent points about HPV (wearing a condom, amputation as a prevention measure and the breast cancer comparison), but I'm afraid I will sound badgering if I continue the conversation instead of a friendly "Oh here's some info you might not have.."

#23 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I really wish I could respond to her with some of your excellent points about HPV (wearing a condom, amputation as a prevention measure and the breast cancer comparison), but I'm afraid I will sound badgering if I continue the conversation instead of a friendly "Oh here's some info you might not have.."

Ya, you probably don't want to badger; but if the opportunity comes up you'll have the information.
#24 of 29 Old 10-16-2010, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it's great you were able to send her some information, even if she is still going to circ. The more I actually think about circumcision, the more I find it baffling that it is routinely done in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliesMomma View Post
circumcised dads can be insecure about their son having a foreskin b/c it reminds them of what they don't have anymore.

so, it's not really about the son wanting to look like dad, but rather the dad not wanting to be different from the son.

IMO.
I'm sure someone out there feels this way, but I doubt it's the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
OMG...this drives me nuts. He's a newborn. They're not really a high risk group for HPV, syphilis or chlamydia, ime.
Exactly.
#25 of 29 Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulvah View Post

I'm sure someone out there feels this way, but I doubt it's the majority.

This is actually the crux of the 'look like daddy' argument. Most men can't even consider the fact that there is something wrong with their genitals - that something bad was done to them, that something very important was taken away from them. Therefore, the insist that it be done to their son's since it has to be better that way.

Read this:

The Vulnerability of Men

Quote:
First of all, you need to understand that circumcised men are cornered on this issue. They were circumcised without their consent and have no inherent knowledge of what being intact is like. Even though they rarely will discuss the issue, they are keenly aware that they have been surgically altered in a very private way. There are several ways for a man to deal with this issue but the safest way, psychologically speaking, is to believe at all cost that the surgery performed on them was an enhancement and is preferred by women. Confirmation of this belief is essential to their sexual self-image. Do I need to tell you that sexual self-image is a major issue for men? Didn’t think so.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#26 of 29 Old 10-17-2010, 10:16 PM

I'd tell her that you don't wish to badger her but you are concerned that she might learn the real truth too late. Send her the link to the thread here for parents who had their boyus circumcised and later learned the truth. The regret expressed is gut wrenching. Tell her you care about her and her child and that you don't ever want her to wish that someone had told her the truth or someone had taken the time to share what they knew to protect her baby.
here's the link: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=112410
If you send her this and you are concerned that she will read here and see your thread about her, send the moderator a private message and discuss it.
The flip side of the issue is also circumcision complications. They are many and they need to be looked into!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#27 of 29 Old 10-17-2010, 11:18 PM

I am one of those mamas that regrets it deeply-if only I had known all the facts and been aware of a site like this.

We circ'ed because my husband is and he chose to be at 12. My take on it now is its unnecessary cosmetic surgery and its was not my choice to make. It should have been left to my sons.

We also had some scary times with No 2. which thank goodness all turned out ok, but I thought at the time how could we have been so foolish.What if it did not come right,he is a guy after all and its his penis!

When I talk to other moms-to-be now I try to steer away from all the % and less chance of this and greater chance of that. He can ALWAYS to it later if he so chooses, but he can NEVER EVER get it back.

Send her the link of the regretful moms-it might be whats she needs.
#28 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakunangovi View Post
My response to that line of reasoning is : " How often to you expect father and son to be sitting around comparing their penii ??"
This drives me CRAZY. When I first had the conversation with DH 6 years ago, he halfheartedly made this argument. We didn't circ (over my dead body, and he was easy to convince) and he later found out his dad wasn't cut (dh is). So he was different than his dad and never even knew it.

Dumbest argument ever.

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#29 of 29 Old 10-18-2010, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Heather, I feel for you, and I understand your position.

Here's the tack I took with my SIL, when she told DH and me that she and my brother were planning to circumcise:

The first thing you need to research is pain relief. Many doctors don't use any pain relief at all, or don't wait long enough for it to take effect. A baby should have a topical anesthetic, usually EMLA cream, at least 20 minutes before a dorsal penile nerve black, which is injected into the penis. The EMLA cream keeps the shot from hurting so much. The nerve block will reduce the pain, but not eliminate it - and that needs time to take effect too. Make sure you stay with your baby, to make sure they actually use anesthetic, and that they give it enough time to work.

Talk to the doctor about which method he/she will use, and why. The aftercare is different, depending on the method.

After the operation, watch out for bleeding! Babies can only tolerate a very small amount of blood loss, and there are a lot of blood vessels in the penis. Disposable diapers can absorb a LOT of liquid, so sometimes it's hard to tell just how much blood there is. Babies have bled to death in just a few hours following circumcision.

If there is no bleeding, watch closely for the next few days for infection. Circumcision leaves an open wound, and then we wrap it in a diaper - infection is not uncommon.

Adhesions are the most common complication of circumcision - that's where the remaining foreskin tries to reattach to the glans. Most adhesions will release on their own by the time a boy reaches puberty; if they cause pain, they might need to be separated surgically. Lots of doctors and nurses will tear adhesions apart in the doctor's office - don't let them do this! It creates additional bleeding and scar tissue, and hurts like the dickens.

When Junior starts potty training, watch his urine stream closely. Between 10 and 20% of circumcised boys develop meatal stenosis, which is a narrowing of the urethra. Sometimes surgery is required to enlarge the opening.

As your son gets older, he may find that he doesn't have enough foreskin to accomodate an erection. Baby penises don't come with a dotted line saying "Cut Here". It's impossible for a doctor to know how much foreskin to leave, and sometimes they cut too much. Foreskin Restoration is the manual stretching of the remaining foreskin. There is not really a surgical way to make this better.

Speaking of how much to cut: because so many men experienced problems with too much foreskin being cut off, lots of doctors now are performing a "loose" circumcision, where a lot more foreskin is left for the boy to grow into. He might not even look circumcised to you.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

If the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page