Good resources for mama who has no prior exposure? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My cousin is having a baby boy soon.  I want to mention no circ to her, but want to do so in a way that won't be overwhelming.  As far as I know, she has never considered the issue and has no prior knowledge of it.  She is a single mama with two girls and baby's father might be in the picture.  Not sure.  My father, who is her dads brother (she lives with her father), was SHOCKED that we left our DS intact.  Never considered NOT doing it.  Thought is was the most bizarre thing. Uncirc'd penises are seen as "yucky."  So, that's the backdrop against which I am considering presenting this information.  She is mainstream in every way.

I do not want to overwhelm her.  She has a lot on her plate.  She will be facing raising three children alone, recovering from a c/s (medically indicated but not sure why) and the like.  She is on Medicaid, but our state pays for circ (grumble).  Ideas on how to gently bring up this topic (am going to email her) and encourage her to at least consider not circing as an option?  Links to basic info that do not contain words such as "mutilate" and "torture"?

Thanks in advance!!

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son
#2 of 7 Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

http://www.circumstitions.com/Itsaboy.html

http://www.oknocirc.blogspot.com/

You might also mention you left your son intact, have had no problems & are happy w/the decision. Let her know you are open to answering questions if she has them. You could also tell her that you know a bunch of ppl online who thought circing was a good idea and later regret it, sending her the link to the "regret" thread here on MDC.

Whatever you do, do send something. Some mama's never even know they have the option of not circing their son.

Good luck!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#3 of 7 Old 12-30-2010, 03:36 AM

I would give her a packet of information-

http://www.savingpenises.org/our-information-packs.html

I find the packets more effective than the internet. The packet allows her to read it at her leisure and presents all the information, which she could easily miss skimming a website. The DVD's are also very good. The packet also allows her to easily share with the father if need be.

I plan to give one to all my friends and sister in laws when they are expecting, I will include it in a gift box along with Ina May's guide to childbirth and a few other presents. 

http://www.drmomma.org- Is a great site as far as websites go. 

#4 of 7 Old 12-30-2010, 03:39 AM

http://www.drmomma.org/

I realized the last link was broken!

#5 of 7 Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 AM

I second the drmomma packet would be a good start.  It's had some great results.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#6 of 7 Old 12-30-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!  I sent her an email and got a positive response.  She indicated that she had just been discussing the issue with her sister and was planning to circ.  She said she had never really thought much about it, but would definitely look at the links I sent her (the ones you all suggested).  I told her that we left DS intact and that it was completely normal and maintenance free.  She is such a sweetie, I think she will consider it with an open mind.  I will be visiting her in the hospital, so will likely make another mention of it then to see if she has any questions.  

Samantha, Student, wife to my best friend (1.30.09) Mama to three beautiful daughters and and a handsome little son
#7 of 7 Old 12-30-2010, 06:13 PM

One more nice resource:

http://circumcisiondecisionmaker.com/ 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page