What I heard at the doctor's 3 months ago - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-22-2011, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Now I definetly know that I will not have any child I have in the future circumcised.  Here's why:

I had to go to the urologist for a pre-op appointment 3 months ago, before they injected Botox in my bladder to help with severe incontinence.  They had a baby boy in the waiting room that looked about 6-8 weeks old.  Cute as a button.  Well, that baby boy and his mom were called back before me.  I didn't think of it, and kept reading my insurance handbook for a homework assignment I had due that evening.  All of a sudden, I heard this ear piercing scream out of that baby who was in one of the exam rooms.  It sounded like they were torturing the baby!  I commented to an older lady in the waiting room that it sounds like that baby isn't too happy.  She smiled and replied, "Oh, he was born premature and is just getting a circumcision to catch up with everyone else."  Apparently, that old lady was his gramdma.

That baby didn't stop screaming the whole time him and his mom were at the urologist.  I felt so sorry for that baby.  It was apparent that they didn't use any anestetic at all before they did the procedure.  The baby and mom finally came out of the exam room, and that baby was beet red in his face, from screaming so much, and he was still fussing when they left. 

I vowed that day to never have any future child to go through that kind of torture and abuse.  I don't care if a doctor says that its cleaner and easier on the child as he grows up, its not worth putting an innocent baby in that kind of pain for the parents conveience.

Jessie

#2 of 15 Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 PM

GOOD FOR YOU! But if you check out the resources at the top of this forum, you'll be happy to learn that it's NOT cleaner or easier!! It was believed to be easier for a while, and now it's really just done out of cultural habit. Here in Europe, and in the rest of the world, it's never done on infants except for religious reasons. My boy's are both intact(we like to use that term, uncircumcised implies that circumcised is the norm), and have never had a problem. Diaper changes are so much easier when you don't have take care of a fresh wound.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#3 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Yea, it seems to me, if I were a baby boy, that it would hurt really bad to have a diaper changed after I had my foreskin ripped off of me and there was a raw wound left in its place.  I feel sorry that circumcision is still the norm, because I don't think doctor's or parents realize how painful it is for a baby.  Imagine if you started to pee involuntary and all of a sudden felt this severe stinging pain, but you couldn't just stop peeing until your bladder was empty.  You just are left to deal with the pain until the wound heals.

Its like when someone who still has full sensation in their lower body gets a pressure sore.  If they are severely incontinent, the acid in the urine stings when it hits the pressure sore's open wound (especially if it hasn't been covered up completely).  I know this from experience and it isn't fun. 

Jessiesigncirc1.gif

#4 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 03:00 AM

bawling.gif Poor little boy!

#5 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 06:32 AM

That makes me so sick! 

And, start hanging out here, as a PP said, it's NOT cleaner and it's NOT easier. 

#6 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 07:23 AM

your post literally brought tears to my eyes. poor baby.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#7 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 AM

Please write a letter of complaint to the doctor. Please!

#8 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM

poor boy.

#9 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

your post literally brought tears to my eyes. poor baby.

Same here...makes me want to scoop up my (not so little) baby and squeeze him tight. I am so, so, SO thankful I learned about all of this before he was born.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#10 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 12:01 PM

I don't even have a son yet lol

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#11 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 03:22 PM

That really made me feel sick to my stomach. How awful. *snuggles intact baby son*

PatioGardener likes this.

Mom to DD Maia (6/8/04), DS Eli (9/16/10)  and DSS Austin (4/8/96)
intactlact.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpgcd.gifbroc1.gif
#12 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 PM

I would have asked this lady what she meant by catching up and informed her that there are many boys walking around today that are natural and this torture of the baby is unethical especially if they did not even provide pain relief. Many doctors who do this are Aholes.

sosurreal09 likes this.
#13 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessMommy View Post

Please write a letter of complaint to the doctor. Please!

After tell you all this, I think I will write a letter of complaint to the urologist.  I honestly don't care if he get's ticked off at me at this point.  I just don't get why people are against female circumcision, yet they will do the same mutilation to a boy without any concern.  I also think I will mail him copies of all of the circumcision articles I have in my old Mothering Magazines.

Jessiesigncirc1.gif

#14 of 15 Old 02-24-2011, 04:56 AM

Good for you Jessie!

http://www.mgmbill.org/ If you would like to support banning male circumcision in this country

#15 of 15 Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summermommy2004 View Post

That really made me feel sick to my stomach. How awful. *snuggles intact baby son*

yeahthat.gif me too

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page