Need quick help for catheter in 21mo intact boy... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure this is already here, and I'm sorry to ask again, but I can't find it.  My little guy has a swollen testicle.  It's better now than it was last night, and the ped and I agreed over the phone that as long as it doesn't get worse, we can wait to have him seen in the office tomorrow (monday).  If it does get worse, we head to the ER.  What I'm wondering is if someone could give me a link to something official I could print out to bring with me regarding how to properly cath an intact, non-retractable boy.  I have the flu, and while I'm all about going mama-bear to protect him, I'm so exhausted right now, I don't trust myself to be coherent enough.  If I could hand them something, preferably an official medical source that backs up what I'm saying, I think it could go a lot better.  

So, hopefully we won't need it, but if we do, we'll need it quick, so anything anyone could share would be great!  Thanks!

#2 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 08:48 AM

So sorry!!  Thats stressful.

My ds is intact, and was cathed last summer (about 18-19mo), and I don't have a resource, but I basically told them no way no how were they to retract.  The nurse that did it talked to me, and I compromised by letting her manipulate the foreskin so that she could see the hole (sorry, don't know the medical term), but not retract him.  She was very gentle, and ds was not harmed.

#3 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Here's hoping we get a kind nurse!  Unfortunately we live in a smallish town.  We have large children's hospitals in 2 large cities near us, each about an hour away.  If this wasn't potentially such an emergency I think I'd rather go there.  I think the combination of more experience plus potentially more foreign born nurses might be better.  But, right now it's not an ER situation, but if it becomes one, we probably shouldn't waste an hour in the car. :(  Anyway, I'm glad you had a good experience.  It gives me hope!

#4 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Woo hoo!  Found it!  Did you know a live, very helpful person answers the phone if you call the no-circ people on a Sunday morning?!  Anyway, she told me where to find it it's in this pamphlet:

http://www.nocirc.org/publish/6pam.pdf

I'm printing it to keep in my diaper bag, even after this crazy testicle stuff is resolved.  In the unlikely event that we'd have some medical emergency, it'd be better to have it.

#5 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysmom2 View Post

Here's hoping we get a kind nurse!  Unfortunately we live in a smallish town.  We have large children's hospitals in 2 large cities near us, each about an hour away.  If this wasn't potentially such an emergency I think I'd rather go there.  I think the combination of more experience plus potentially more foreign born nurses might be better.  But, right now it's not an ER situation, but if it becomes one, we probably shouldn't waste an hour in the car. :(  Anyway, I'm glad you had a good experience.  It gives me hope!

You know, I think I would do an hour in the car - unless its life threatening.  I think thats one thing I really like about where I live though, lots of foreign born, lots of people whose cultures don't circ so they don't either.  Most nurses and Dr's are pretty familiar with intact care (however, the hospital we went to b/c its the best children's hospital is a private religious hospital so they were a little less aware - but a good experience anyway, they were very nice and respectful of our choices)

#6 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Glad you found the instructions just in case you need them.

If they want to do a cath just to get a urine sample, you can ask for a clean catch baggy instead.  Even with the instruction, it is safer and less invasive to do the baggy.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#7 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

The thing about an hour car ride is, if it gets bad, he'll be in pain.  And, the doc was saying that if we go to the ER I need to make sure they understand that we SHOULD NOT be made to wait.  At all.  And that's with her assuming we go to the ER 5 minutes from our house.  It's not life threatening, but, depending what's causing this, I think he could potentially lose a testicle over it.

And I will definitely ask for the baggie for urine collection, but thanks for the reminder.  I'm more concerned about it if he needs a surgical repair of a hernia and needs to be cathed for that.

Still looking ok, so hopefully this will all be unnecessary.  Thanks everybody!

#8 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 02:21 PM

hug.gif hope your little guy is still doing better and you dont have to deal with the ER. That is the thing about testicles when they swell unexpectedly it could be something simple or like you said it could cause him to potentially loose the testicle.

goodvibes.gif that it is something simple.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#9 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  So far, so good!  I'll update after the doc tomorrow.

#10 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysmom2 View Post

The thing about an hour car ride is, if it gets bad, he'll be in pain.  And, the doc was saying that if we go to the ER I need to make sure they understand that we SHOULD NOT be made to wait.  At all.  And that's with her assuming we go to the ER 5 minutes from our house.  It's not life threatening, but, depending what's causing this, I think he could potentially lose a testicle over it.

Whoah, didn't realize he might lose a testicle!  Yeah, the closest one would be your best bet.  Hopefully you can just go in to his normal ped in the morning!

#11 of 14 Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

Whoah, didn't realize he might lose a testicle!  Yeah, the closest one would be your best bet.  Hopefully you can just go in to his normal ped in the morning!

Yeah, kinda scary stuff!  I'm glad I looked it up.  I had no idea how serious it could be.  At first I though, "Oh, that's weird, I guess I'll wait to see if it's still like that tomorrow."

#12 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 08:03 AM

Um, I don't mean to be dense, but I'm not sure why he would need to be CATHED for a testicular injury or infection?? Urethra/Bladder/Ureters/Kidneys -- those I can understand -- but testicle?

IME, ultrasound is much, much better for testicular injury/infection than a cath. Doppler can measure blood flow, and that is the major issue w/ testicular injury -- if blood flow is restricted too long, the testicle dies and has to be removed (e.g., testicular torsion, which a family member of mine had as a teenager following a sporting accident).

The only reason I would allow him to be cathed would be for surgery under general anesthesia (*maybe* twilight anesthesia, but I'd have to be persuaded by the doctor that it was amsolutely necessary versus convenient for the doctor, KWIM?) However, I'm sure you are far more in the know than I am, so please, educate me!

That aside, and most importantly, I hope your son is much better today, and that YOU are also feeling better!!

EDITED -- sorry, should of read more carefully on OP. :)

#13 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The OP said upthread that she was worried about needing the cath for surgery.

OP, how is your son?
#14 of 14 Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't updated!  He's fine.  It never got any worse, and by the time we went to the ped's office yesterday it looked almost normal.  She said she thinks he may have a very small opening and that all the coughing he was doing this week may have forced some fluid in there.  We have an appointment to see a urologist next week at the children's hospital, and instructions to call/go to the ER if it gets bad before that.

And yes, the cath would be in case of a surgery to repair whatever is going on in there.

Thanks again for all the help and support everyone!  And I'm feeling much better AND dh is finally home from his trip, so everything seems SO much better now.  Thanks for giving me a place to freak out a little!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page