Just a question.... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 04-11-2011, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

they are just so wrapped up in the precedure itself that they don't think about the baby itself.

Replace "baby" with "patient" and I think this can be said for a lot of cases in Western medicine. Doctors can forget they are doing the procedure to an actual person, and it's easier for them to just focus on the procedure itself (especially if they repeat it often) than to feel empathy. I think it can often become how to make it quicker and easier for themselves. I know that was the case with cesareans where I delivered my son. One of the nurses was visiting with me (I delivered in the middle of the night on a weekend... not a convenient time for doctors so thus not a busy time on the L&D floor) and told me there were several times a specific doc would just look at his watch after a little while and say "let's just go ahead and section this one so we can get to lunch/dinner etc."  (I'll bet he's the kind of OB who doesn't take the time for pain meds to take effect for the poor baby either) Forgetting that "this one" was a laboring mother who might not wish to have surgery just for the doctor's convenience. I think it is sad to say, but nobody is really thinking of the pain the baby is feeling because the baby can't stand up for himself and the parents don't know any better. I think this, of all the aspects of RIC, is what makes me the most  upset greensad.gif. If people would just take a second and THINK. It is all so senseless, and I envy my European friends who never had to deal with this particular brand of ignorance.

Mom to Delia  (5/25/07) and Alex  (4/10/10) and 2 spoiled kitties
#32 of 35 Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I began this forum by saying I was against circumcision.  If it was completely pain free.... I still would not have done it to my boys.   But some parents do, which is why I was wondering about protocol.  

Baker's Wife and Catholic Unschooling Mama to Simeon (12), James (9), Amos (7) and Annie (4) and Jonah (2)
#33 of 35 Old 04-12-2011, 12:51 AM

A few things...

A friend had her son circumcised in the hospital soon after birth. It was a weekend and the doctor (a pediatrician) stated he was in a hurry as he came into the room to collect the baby for the circumcision. As the nurse and baby were returning the mom heard his cries from the hallway. The nurse handed her the baby saying "I don't think the doctor waited for the anesthesia to take affect." and then offered a few doses of baby Tylenol. So, maybe the doctor was in a hurry and didn't wait...maybe he didn't use anything at all. We'll never know. However having spoke to her the day after the circumcision and then now...months later...she doesn't seem nearly as upset as she was originally. I might use her tone to talk about when my baby bonked his head after loosing his balance while learning to stand. She lost that mama bear quality to her anger that her child was harmed. 

Another friend went to a clinic situation for her son's circumcision. She states 'it was traumatic' and that the baby was brought back to her 'red, crying, and hoarse from screaming'. She too has lost the passion in her voice when she talks about it. 

I visited a cousin and her new 10 day old baby. As we were admiring the new baby the cousin mentioned that he was circumcised 3 days previous. A while later I was holding the baby who was sound asleep laying prone in my lap. Suddenly his arms flailed outwards and he screamed. Cousin responded "oh, he must have peed. He does that when he pees...I guess he's still healing." She took the baby upstairs where he continued to scream. 

I have friends who have gotten degrees and furthered their education and who also circumcised their sons. Every single one either claims that the baby was 'more upset by being strapped down' (versus the actual cutting/scraping/slicing/probing) or chose not to be present because they felt it would be too traumatic for themselves to watch. These are thinking, strong women. Many fought for their desired births, nursed etc. There's a giant disconnect with them. 

Perhaps my son was just easy going as a newborn, but he never cried upon being undressed gently, having a diaper changed or even having his legs opened up as I did my mama-inspecting. I think that 'time heals all wounds' when it comes to moms remembering their sons the days following circumcision. Along with the worry over the umbilical cord falling off, cradle cap, and cutting fingernails...it just drifts away as time goes by and parenting becomes less chaotic as it is those first days. 

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#34 of 35 Old 04-12-2011, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I think it is cognitive dissonance.  I visceral, primal reaction SHOULD happen when one's baby is injured, but our big, novel brains get in the way.  We cannot stand the pain of "My baby is bloody and crying and it is my fault" and so we transmute that pain into "It was a good thing and no big deal."  How else could we live with it?

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#35 of 35 Old 04-12-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingForKiddos View Post

I have friends who have gotten degrees and furthered their education and who also circumcised their sons. Every single one either claims that the baby was 'more upset by being strapped down' (versus the actual cutting/scraping/slicing/probing) or chose not to be present because they felt it would be too traumatic for themselves to watch. These are thinking, strong women. Many fought for their desired births, nursed etc. There's a giant disconnect with them. 

Perhaps my son was just easy going as a newborn, but he never cried upon being undressed gently, having a diaper changed or even having his legs opened up as I did my mama-inspecting. I think that 'time heals all wounds' when it comes to moms remembering their sons the days following circumcision. Along with the worry over the umbilical cord falling off, cradle cap, and cutting fingernails...it just drifts away as time goes by and parenting becomes less chaotic as it is those first days. 

They think this because this is what the doctor will tell them. Having observed a circ, I know this is a load of horse manure.

My son is also very laid back and doesn't get upset over anything. He only cries when he's tired, hungry, uncomfortable, or just wants his mama. He has slept well since day 1 and is a great eater. I wonder how different things would be if I had subjected him to circumcision.

SAHMtranstichel.gif to DD1joy.gif(9/06), DD2energy.gif(4/09), DS1 kid.gif (1/11), and DS2 wild.gif (2/12)
knit.giflactivist.gifsigncirc1.gif Surprise! pos.gif #5 due 12/16/13 2ndtri.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page