I think I found one! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our 4 week old had his first well baby check-up today. I chose this PCP at random, and originally intended on finding an actual Pediatrician, but kept getting the run-around, so since the PCP I chose back when I was pregnant also looks after infants, I figured I'd try him out because our baby really needed his first well baby check-up. The guy is awesome - his office is real close-by to where we live, he's much older than I expected, but was very soft-spoken, gentle, was not pushy, and did not appear to be pressed for time at all. Anyway, so I was nervous when the diaper had to come off, and watched him like a hawk. He had no issues with me standing right there, and explained everything he was doing and for what purposes he was doing it. He got down to our son's genitals, merely felt his scrotum, and that was it in that area. Did not comment at all that he had not been circumsized, and mentioned nothing about the foreskin. He didn't touch his penis at all. I'll check in at his next well baby appointment, but I'm pretty sure if he was going to be the type to mess around with the foreskin, he would have done it at this appointment, wouldn't he have..?

#2 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 04:20 PM

It sounds like you have a good one. Even still, you have to always be on guard.

#3 of 8 Old 05-02-2011, 04:30 PM

joy.gif

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, :) I'll continue to keep my eyes trained on the doctor!
#5 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 PM

I wouldn't let your guard down.  I have heard of reports just like the one you gave happening for many appointments and then suddenly the doctor retracts at what ever magic age they think retraction should happen.  I would go to your next appointment and thank him for his seemingly educated approach to the intact male and ask him if there is any point where he does retract or believe that the child's foreskin should retract.  His answer will tell you whether he truly has correct information on this topic.  If he does not, you will know and will have time to compile information for him for the next visit.  The group The Whole Network has an info package targeted to health care providers for parents to give to them.  If you need any help finding how to get one, let me know.  I'll connect you with the right people!

Oh, and congratulations on your baby boy! 

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#6 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyFluffer View Post

I have heard of reports just like the one you gave happening for many appointments and then suddenly the doctor retracts at what ever magic age they think retraction should happen.

nod.gif  My ds's ped didn't retract at all when he was younger, and then at his 12mo appointment she went to retract, and I had to physically block her hand - she definitely wasn't too happy about that.  I just let her know what research I had done, and that she was not to ever retract him.  Since that appointment, we haven't had any problems (it's been over a year since then) and I think she did some research after that.  But I definitely wouldn't let your guard down.

#7 of 8 Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 PM

I vote for no vague thread titles.

creddy likes this.

-Ron
HIS body, HIS decision.
#8 of 8 Old 05-10-2011, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Gotcha'. He did make sure to inform us that he loves learning new information, so I'm hoping, if he does feel at a certain age boys should be retracted then HOPEFULLY that means he'll be real receptive of "new information" of intact penis care. He didn't comment at all about the fact our son's intact - did your ped comment at all about it when your son was just a month or few old?

I know all the major nocirc websites, so I think the targeted audience of intact care will depend on his response about retraction. If he seems stubborn about it, then I think the pamphlet will be the way to go for sure! I'll let you know, :) There's a couple weeks yet until his 2 month well baby visit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page