Potty training an Intact tot! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anything I need to know about potty training an Intact boy?!  

My son is 18-months old and we just got him a potty!

#2 of 10 Old 05-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Nothing at all that I can think of. Other than training him to sit since it is less messy either intact or circed because little boys can have sucky aim. Ds eventually taught himself to stand and go but that happened after he started school.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#3 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 02:20 AM

Nothing special. Just be patient, like with ANY child. :) I do second the recommendation that little guys should learn sitting first! Now that my boys (6 and 4) are mostly retractable, DH is trying to get them to pull their foreskin up a little to reduce dripping, but that is a personal habit of his. 

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#4 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies!  Do Intact boys tend to spray more or less or the same compared to circ'ed boys?

#5 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 07:11 AM

Maybe it's just because my boys were both shorter then average but neither of them were messy.  They couldn't be.  They were just tall enough to get their penis up over the edge of the toilet that they weren't able to spray anywhere other then the toilet.  They always sat to pee on the potty and as soon as they started to use the toilet instead they stood.

Wife to DH, Mom to my Intact Boys DS1: Born 02 Pain Med Free Hospital Birth, BF'ed for 9 Months, Partially Vax'd DS2: Born 06 via UC, BF'ed 3 years 10 months, and UnVax'd
#6 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 07:55 AM

Well, in my (admittedly very small) n=4 sample size (my two oldest -- intact -- and my two nephews -- circ'd), circ'd boys spray way more than intact. For my two oldest, I guess that the foreskin was loosening from the glans, as they would balloon early on, but the sphincter made it very spout-like. Stayed true even when the ballooning stopped...Honestly, it was kind of like a hose. And, in this case, a very USEFUL and neat hose! :)

In the case of my two nephews, I assume that they both have a little bit of meatal stenosis, gauging from their spray patterns, especially the younger one, whose "stream" is more like an aerosol. Sigh.

(Oh, and before I get questioned for knowing about my nephews' "spray patterns," these four boys are all within 3 years of age and spend a lot of time together all year 'round, so there have been lots of group baths through the years. That's all.)

#7 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM

Nothing special to consider. Potty training is potty training; the same for intact or circumcised boys. See other forums for specific advice on particular potty trainings methods and challenges. Have fun and good luck!

#8 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 08:40 AM

My boy is 10 months old, been ECing since 6 months. We use the Baby Bjorn potty chair and toilet insert. The high splash guards are ESSENTIAL, and I also have to push / hold his peen down bc if you don't, it still goes right over the splash guard or all down his leg - just one finger to hold it, once Cole is old enough I'm sure he'll learn to do the same.. but right now the other reason I hold him is to block his little hands from playing fire hose.. then the pee goes EVERYWHERE! I really prefer the toilet insert over the potty chair - it's SO much easier - nothing extra to clean, and we carry it with us when we're out. I keep the potty chair next to the crib at night bc he wakes up in the night to pee, and I have a changing pad on the floor next to the chair to put the dipe back on. 

#9 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biohaz444 View Post

My boy is 10 months old, been ECing since 6 months. We use the Baby Bjorn potty chair and toilet insert. The high splash guards are ESSENTIAL, and I also have to push / hold his peen down bc if you don't, it still goes right over the splash guard or all down his leg - just one finger to hold it, once Cole is old enough I'm sure he'll learn to do the same.. but right now the other reason I hold him is to block his little hands from playing fire hose.. then the pee goes EVERYWHERE! I really prefer the toilet insert over the potty chair - it's SO much easier - nothing extra to clean, and we carry it with us when we're out. I keep the potty chair next to the crib at night bc he wakes up in the night to pee, and I have a changing pad on the floor next to the chair to put the dipe back on. 

ROTFLMAO.gif

Seriously...why do we bother buying toys?

Just to echo PPs, its pretty much the same as with circ boys with possibly more dripping.

#10 of 10 Old 05-18-2011, 10:26 AM

i agree potty training is potty training intact or circ'd.   Ive done both.    Sitting seems to work the best and lean and tuck.   I saw no difference 

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page