An opportunity to discourage circumcisions through U.S. Medicare? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-29-2011, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Cross-posted at restoringforeskin.org and foreskin-restoration.net)

The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), is currently accepting public comment on the "Medicare Program; Five Year Review of Work Relative Value Units Under the Physician Fee Schedule" [CMS-2011-0107].

You can download the full proposed Fee Schedule here (click the icon, pdf file, 2.4 MB):

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=CMS-2011-0107-0001

Could an argument be structured to adjust the Relative Value Units, to make the reimbursement rate to physicians, and the cost passed on to "patients" (parents), so prohibitive as to discourage circumcision and reduce the incidence?

They are accepting public comment until 25 July, 2011.

Circumcision is covered in the above document under CTP/HCPC numbers 54150-54164 (pages 322-323).

This is a once in a five-year opportunity worth taking a serious look at, but something I think members in the United States are better placed to evaluate (I live in Australia).

#2 of 3 Old 06-06-2011, 03:37 PM

Thank you for this tip. Unfortunately, the review is only for Medicare, the US program for senior citizens and disabled individuals. I know the names can get confusing, because Australia calls its healthcare program Medicare. Here in the US, the federal/state program for low-income families is Medicaid. Covered services are decided state-by-state, so I don't believe a federal review would impact whether routine infant circumcision is reimbursed.

#3 of 3 Old 06-07-2011, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brant31 View Post

Thank you for this tip. Unfortunately, the review is only for Medicare, the US program for senior citizens and disabled individuals. I know the names can get confusing, because Australia calls its healthcare program Medicare. Here in the US, the federal/state program for low-income families is Medicaid. Covered services are decided state-by-state, so I don't believe a federal review would impact whether routine infant circumcision is reimbursed.

Thank you for your feedback. A couple of days ago, I forwarded the above information (with a couple of additional links) to a half-dozen or so anti-circumcision groups in the United States, including ARCLAW, DOC and NOCIRC. I'm leaving the matter in the hands of those with greater knowledge of the U.S. healthcare system.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page