Just posted this anti-circ article on my facebook - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://sagaciousmama.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/20-reasons-i-did-not-circumcise-my-son/

It's well put together, and my blood is just boiling the more I read about this mutilation of our children in the US, and how so many parents are un-informed.  I am really worried about all of our extended family and friends on there seeing that I posted this, but I really felt I needed to express my opinion.  Oh dear!

Why aren't more people making this public knowledge?  Maybe there are and I am just not connected?  But I think there should be people outside of hospitals giving out info at least just to inform parents.  I can't get this out of my mind today...

Anyone have ideas on getting the word out more?  Or are you already doing it or seeing it being done?

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and finally expecting a new little one end of Jan/early Feb 2015!  
#2 of 6 Old 06-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Check out this FB site for more info on what people are doing to help spread the word:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=106230859463484

I like to leave NoCirc pamphlets wherever I go (magazine racks, community bulletin boards, Dr. office waiting rooms, public changing tables, etc.).  Some people print off (or buy) business cards to leave in baby departments or maternity stores. You can post links on your Facebook/Twitter/Myspace, write letters to the editor, call into talk radio programs, etc. I really like the idea of contacting your elected officials and asking who you can contact to see if your state will drop Medicaid funding of circs.

I don't think it really matters what we each do, just that we continue to do something! So many people still don't know that leaving a boy intact is an option or that circumcision carries risks. Hopefully the FB link you posted will get some people talking and researching.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#3 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the link and the good ideas.  I will have to start doing some of those.  I am seeing that people don't usually make an intentional choice or think much of the choice when hospitals ask them if they want it.  Just getting the word out more and more will hopefully start to change our culture. 

Me (30) and DH (30), DS (7/1/08), DD (12/1/11) and finally expecting a new little one end of Jan/early Feb 2015!  
#4 of 6 Old 06-18-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmama08 View Post

http://sagaciousmama.wordpress.com/2010/04/20/20-reasons-i-did-not-circumcise-my-son/

It's well put together, and my blood is just boiling the more I read about this mutilation of our children in the US, and how so many parents are un-informed.  I am really worried about all of our extended family and friends on there seeing that I posted this, but I really felt I needed to express my opinion.  Oh dear!

Good for you for doing this!  Don't sweat what others may think.  Either they will agree with you or they will get a sorely needed education.

#5 of 6 Old 06-18-2011, 02:43 PM

You never know who may come out of the woodwork to support you! I think it's great to open up the discourse among your friends- even if they don't agree- it's great that you can be counted for believing what you do (that alone goes so far to countering the myth that "everyone...(anything) "  Also- for lots of people these ideas take years to take root- it's wonderful if you can get people thinking before they are pacing the halls at L&D.

#6 of 6 Old 06-28-2011, 11:07 PM

I agree with everyone! Great job getting it out there! My friends (He's Jewish) decided not to after FBing a bunch of info to there. They were on the fence as it was, so I just happened to push them to the no-circ side of things with the info provided joy.gif

Night_Nurse likes this.

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page