"Send A Physician A Card" Intactivist Campaign? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone done this? See info at www.4eric.org.

I like the concept of spreading intactivism to doctors, in a friendly and non-confrontational manner. (I've had a couple frustrating hours, though, on the website suggested for this campaign. It's not very user friendly imo, and not sure that it's all that cheap in the end, if you include photos etc. I may just buy a couple boxes of bulk cards at the store instead, and doing it myself.)

Anyway, what do you all think of the campaign? Worth the effort? I have just been trying to think of some way to put my feelings and frustrations into real action, and I like this approach.  I also plan to include the url www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org somewhere on the card.

#2 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Honestly? I don't think it will work. I'm a nurse. I've worked in doctors offices. Mail is never opened by doctors. It's opened by a receptionist who will glance at it and consider it "junk" mail and then toss it in the trash. The doctor will never see it or hear about it. Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on the cards or the postage. It's a great idea in theory but I don't think it'll stop any circs or change any minds. I suppose if you knew a doctor socially or wanted to hand him/her one in person if you went in for a visit they might read it. However, I think if you're going to mail something, mail it to a parent-to-be so they have the opportunity to research the info.

Just my two cents.

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#3 of 7 Old 07-14-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your feedback, Night Nurse! That's the kind of thing I was wondering about. I worked as an administrative asst. at one point in my life, so I guess I already knew (but had forgotten) the procedure for an office's unsolicited mail/calls.  :-) 

I am still wondering if anyone out there has really done this or something similar?

This might be a better question: how do people channel their intactivist energy into something constructive and positive?

#4 of 7 Old 07-16-2011, 07:11 PM

I think the carding technique is better suited for sticking in baby books, magazines, etc.

Are you a member of your state Whole Network group?  It might be possible to do a campaign locally to make sure doctors are aware of the resources out there, etc.  And it could definitely be a start to just start with the doctors, hospitals, midwives, OB's, pedi's etc. that you and other friends use.

It's hard to find a useful outlet, it's easier when you find allies.  Try your local midwives, doulas, and other likeminded people and see what you can brainstorm on.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#5 of 7 Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Indeed, our state does have a Whole network and I will see how to join. Thanks SO much for the great suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post

I think the carding technique is better suited for sticking in baby books, magazines, etc.

Are you a member of your state Whole Network group?  It might be possible to do a campaign locally to make sure doctors are aware of the resources out there, etc.  And it could definitely be a start to just start with the doctors, hospitals, midwives, OB's, pedi's etc. that you and other friends use.

It's hard to find a useful outlet, it's easier when you find allies.  Try your local midwives, doulas, and other likeminded people and see what you can brainstorm on.

Jessica

#6 of 7 Old 07-29-2011, 06:14 PM

I am currently beginning to mail out postcards. I have bought card stock, $5 bucks for 150 sheets, so about 600 postcards. I will then print them up with my "homemade" design and mail them to all my local OB/Gyns. I figure that is a good first line of defense? 

I have purposely chosen to use postcards because, perhaps, along the way the mailman, postmaster, receptionist, nurse, and hopefully doctor will all have laid hands on it.

Here is my design if you want to use it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/intact-genitals-for-all/5988545194/in/photostream

This is intentionally inflammatory but is only directed at the ones who know the truth, the doctors, specifically at guilting OB/Gyns in helping to save babies. Imagine if at that first visit the OB/Gyn said - "Take your baby home normal, intact". That would give the mother 7 months to get used to the idea, to recover from stock holm syndrome.

I will also post a different OB/Gyn as a return address on my postcards. So, if it gets lost in the mail, it will at least be returned to a different OB/Gyn office. yes, I will pay the postage!

#7 of 7 Old 07-30-2011, 02:20 PM

I tend to feel like the harsh approach turns off the majority of people that just need to be nudged to the intact side.

I realize you are trying to get to the OB who is likely at the point that they need to be shocked/gentle words do no work-- but I think it is more likely going to be trashed before it even gets to the 'right' person.

However, I don't really know for sure.

JEssica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page