Judge Orders Circumcision Measure Removed from Ballot - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-16-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This was supposed to appear on the ballot in San Francisco in November, as petitioners had enough signatures to insure that.  Now a judge says not so fast...  Here's the link:

http://www.baycitizen.org/courts/story/judge-orders-circumcision-measure/ 

For every two steps forward in the intactivism fight, there is a step back.  Not only do we have to convice the medical community of the harm of circumcision in a physical and sexual sense, but there are formidable obstacles from certain religious, political, and now, judicial organizations.  Why they cannot see this as a clear human rights violation that also applies to boys is very strange.  Girls have already been protected by law from genitial mutilation...boys, still awaiting those protections.   The fight must continue...

#2 of 7 Old 08-17-2011, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm not a Fbook member, I'll have to rely on some of you to make good comments.
#3 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4chunut1 View Post

This was supposed to appear on the ballot in San Francisco in November, as petitioners had enough signatures to insure that.  Now a judge says not so fast...  Here's the link:

http://www.baycitizen.org/courts/story/judge-orders-circumcision-measure/ 

For every two steps forward in the intactivism fight, there is a step back.  Not only do we have to convice the medical community of the harm of circumcision in a physical and sexual sense, but there are formidable obstacles from certain religious, political, and now, judicial organizations.  Why they cannot see this as a clear human rights violation that also applies to boys is very strange.  Girls have already been protected by law from genitial mutilation...boys, still awaiting those protections.   The fight must continue...

I think this is the most mind boggling thing for me personally. If you say that it's NOT okay to alter a minor's genitals of one sex, why is it perfectly fine and legal for the other? I'm surprised cases haven't been brought up on this...this is an inequality according to the law based solely on sex of the individual. 

I know I've had a few discussions with pro-circ individuals about this and I've mentioned this contradiction and hypocrisy. Either you're for genital alteration for ALL minors (ugh, which would mean they should go out there and lobby that any prohibitive FGM laws be struck down to make everyone equal--ha, as if they would) or you acknowledge that minors of BOTH sexes MUST be protected under the law. You can't discriminate in this manner. 

"That's different," I've been told. Is it really?

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#4 of 7 Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have removed numerous posts from this thread. We do not allow discusion of religion in ths forum. Some new time members may not be aware of this, so please familiarize yourselves with the forum guidelines stickied on the top of the forum. For those of you who have been here longer, nono.gif.

#5 of 7 Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 AM

I have just deleted several more posts discussing religion.  As QueenoftheMeadow already said, please (re-)familiarize yourself with the TCAC-specific rule stickied at the top of the forum.  Discussion of religion is not welcome here. If it continues to reappear in this thread, it will need to be locked. 

As you were!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#6 of 7 Old 10-29-2011, 10:10 AM

I'm willing to discuss this issue in the appropriate forum, if anyone is interested.  This is not an attempt to violate the rules, but if people are interested, I don't mind having the discussion.

nocirc.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfambedsingle2.gifhomebirth.jpgdiaper.gif No Circ/EBF/Babywearing/Co-sleeping/Homebirthing/CDing Dr. mama to 4 boys and 4 girls.

#7 of 7 Old 12-15-2011, 05:09 PM

I don't understand how it can be appropriate for a judge to stop the ballot.

If there had been a valid reason to do so, it would have needed to be done a long time ago.

Having come this far, it would have been better to allow its course.

Methinks the judge caved under pressure and the decision is inappropriate  = unfair = corrupt = stinks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page