Foreskin First Aid Kit! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want to start buying some products to keep on hand that will help my little guy if he should ever encounter an "issue" with his foreskin.   (swelling, itchiness, redness, soreness, etc....)

I'm terrified of taking him to any of the cut-happy docs in this town and would like to handle any situation at home with your help!

Anything you can suggest that was helpful to you at one point or another would be great!   Also, if you could list the "symptom" you used the product for, that would be awesome!!

Thanks, ladies!!!

#2 of 8 Old 01-29-2012, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My 16 year old son has never had any issues.

Good luck on your quest, though.
#3 of 8 Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

You don't need a special kit of stuff. There is no magic foreskin cream. It's just... regular skin. Do the usual things to keep it (and any other skin) from getting rashy: change his diaper, wash semi-regularly. Make sure he stays hydrated to prevent UTIs.

We read about foreskin problems all the time because this is a circumcision discussion forum. But most foreskins just exist, and don't need special care, and never encounter problems. Your son's will likely be one of those.

#4 of 8 Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM

Bacatracin and monistat 7 day treatment odds are you wont need either one though.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 8 Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Avoid unnatural soap products and heavily fragranced products. Also, beware of antibiotics! If you must take them be pro-active and dose him up with florastor and always have monistat on hand. 

#6 of 8 Old 01-31-2012, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

But Monistat and other antifungals have expiry dates. It's silly/wasteful to have them "on hand". Just buy them if and when he gets a yeast infection. Unless you live more than an hour's drive from your nearest drug store?

#7 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 01:58 PM

They only thing I have ever used on my son was a little baking soda in the bath when he got a little red from the ammonia in his diaper.  I think you are being proactive about things, but I really don't think you will need a foreskin first aid kit.  Problems are pretty rare as long as you don't (or anyone else) retract your son's foreskin and avoid scented bath products and make sure that after sitting in soapy water your son is rinsed well.  I also make sure to rinse my son after being in the pool and don't let him sit around in a wet bathing suit for a long time.  This would be the same procedure for a little girl to avoid infections.  For perspective, I don't know any mama's who keep monistat on hand in case their little girl gets a yeast infection.  

My son is 4 and has never had a problem other than a little redness from his cloth diaper when he was a baby.  

Foreskins are normal and natural.  Not a problem waiting to happen.  Hang in there, it sounds like you have done your research- especially when it comes to be cautious of doctors who may not be foreskin knowledgeable.  

Momma to 2 novaxnocirc.gif little boys.

#8 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 06:57 PM

This is all we have needed to treat any issues: http://well.ca/products/canus-lil-goats-milk-40-zinc_8814.html  Best part is you can use it on their butts too :)

Take care!

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page