Crap! I can't believe I didn't catch it in time!! Did doctor cause damage? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So my little guy had his 2 month check up today.  The last couple appointments I told the providers that he saw not to touch his penis in any way... they didn't... So, on to today- my husband went with me. During the exam he was on one end of the table and I was on the other; by the baby's head. I was comforting him while the doctor checked his heart and lungs and belly, he didn't like the cold stethoscope. Next thing I know she has his diaper off and pulled back on his foreskin! It happened SO quick while I was still by my baby's face talking to him! If I had seen her touching him before it was already done I would have said NO. My husband didn't say anything! He said it was so quick! I was so caught up with some other concerns today I totally spaced on telling her not to check him there! greensad.gif

Anyway, I'm not sure if this counts as forcible retraction or what... She barely pulled his skin back at all... just the tiniest bit and only his urethra was exposed and just for a second. He didn't cry or seem uncomfortable at all and his penis looks totally fine, same as always. No swelling or redness. I would have never consented to this, but I'm feeling like it probably didn't cause any damage? But I've heard so many horror stories about forcible retraction I'm still a little nervous! Though I would think if she damaged him he would have cried or something!

Next time the diaper stays ON. But what was done today is done, and he seems fine, but I don't know...

Thoughts?

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#2 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 AM

I am sure he is just fine.  You are right - there are a lot of horror stories, but when you consider that a few decades ago the doctors told any mother of an intact son that she must retract and clean on a daily basis, and most of those boys survived into adulthood with their foreskin intact, significant damage is, thankfully, rare. However some did not, and that is the scary part. In the absence of any bleeding or swelling, I would guess that no damage was done.

#3 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 AM

this happened just once to my sin and thankfully it seemed pretty gentle and even more thankfully that it didn't go beyond his natural flexibility.

i made sure to do two things. i has a calm and firm talk with the doctor about why i had asked her in the past not to retract and that she was not allowed to even touch his penis for any reason and that if she needed to see something she would in the future ask me and i would show her if i felt like it could be done in a safe way. (i really like this doctor and do feel like it was a confusion of semantics. i said, no retraction, she felt this was not retracting. and in exact terms it is not, but if he had jumped or she had miscalculated the movement was so fast it could have gone to far.

then when i went home, which i did right away, i soaked his penis in a very warn nice washcloth a few times and again with each diaper change for a day or two, so that if there was any pulling this would increase circulation and aid in healing.

this was months ago at his 6 month visit and he is and has always been totally fine

it sounds like you had a very similar experience as i had, a very close call.  i now remind them each visit, "remember no touching his penis in anyway, thats his job!"  i hate to sound like a broken record, but when done in a straight forward way with no judgment it comes across fine.

partners.gif 2twins.gif  So what if I don't fit cleanly into a defined parenting style, my kids don't fit into a personality archetype either!

#4 of 5 Old 02-17-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

So sorry that this happened to you & your little one. It happens a lot, unfortunately.  From what I've read when others have posted similar stories, usually the babies are like yours, seemingly fine.  And, I imagine he'll probably be okay, just watch for anything unusual.  From what I've read, what usually causes problems is repeated forced retraction.  Remember to wipe like a finger from base to tip.

Are you planning to say anything to the dr?  Some people print out stuff about not retracting the penis for the dr.  Some do nothing.  All depends on your relationship w/ them & comfort level.

Best wishes to you both,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#5 of 5 Old 02-19-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! Everything still seems ok, and I'm definitely going to be more watchful in the future.

I'm not sure if I'll say anything to the dr. If she were our regular, definitely, but there are a bunch of providers in this practice and we've been going through them all before we decide who we like. We're totally new to this practice so the comfort level is pretty low at this point.

There is a male NP who we saw at the 2 week check, and when I told him I would prefer that he didn't examine the baby's penis/foreskin, he said there was no reason to. I think I will make my appointments with him from now!

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page