Discussion with friends - brought up painful experiences and circ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-22-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Some friends of mine were talking about "painful experiences"; one of them said that he once had minor surgery without any kind of anesthetic. I then said "lots of American males (but luckily not me) have"; it took him a minute to figure out what I was talking about (circumcision). It seems that circ is so regular that many don't even consider it surgery.

#2 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 AM

You are correct that in North American culture circumcision is not considered surgery, or painful, or as having any long term ramifications. How bizarre is that line of thinking?  A few weeks ago, I had an interesting conversation with a woman who makes her living as both a therapist and a birth educator. We were discussing how, and to what extent, do early traumatic life experiences affect one's brain.  She related how her daughter had required an intravenous needle at the age of 7 months, and the nurse was having so much trouble finding a suitable vein that she ended up putting the needle in the baby's scalp.  Fast forward to age 17, and the girl is getting an intravenous needle and suffers a panic attack. The nurse asked her if she had had a bad experience in the past. She replied that she had never had an intravenous before. So you see, although she did not consciously remember the first one, her brain sure did.  This lady stated that every experience from birth, and even before, leaves a trace on our brain.

#3 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 PM

Message Deleted
#4 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnra View Post

I don't support circs, but it's not because I think the babies will remember it.

Are you aware of the study (not sure it was a study, but I'll call it that because I think it was a study studying something else) that was done that found that boys who'd had been circ'd had a bigger negative response to vaccinations (not sure of the details, as it's been a long time since I read about it)?  What do you think babies remember?

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#5 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM

Mama24-7 , I think what you were refering to is this: www.cirp.org/library/pain/taddio2/  which is found among many other papers on the subject at www.cirp.org/library/pain/ .

Also of interest, and related, is:  www.cirp.org/library/psych/  which also references quite a large number of papers, one of the most interesting of which is:  www.norm_uk.org/circumcision_psychological_effects.html  

#6 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 AM

Let's try the last one again:  www.norm-uk.org/circumcision_psychological_effects.html   written by Janet Menage.

#7 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 09:22 AM

Message Deleted
#8 of 8 Old 03-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Or we could just stop cutting boys and then we wouldn't need to re-do the study or any other research
Anyway, there have been recent studies that show very little drs follow the AAP guidelines for pain management for circumcision.

Storm Bride and nia82 like this.

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page