New TCAC Subforum: What Should We Call It? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-04-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Based on the results from this poll, it looks like we're going to create a new subforum here in TCAC for questions of intact care.  But first:  what should we call it?

I'll take ideas/suggestions here for a few days and then I'll make a poll and we can vote on what works best.  

So, thoughts?

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#2 of 5 Old 05-04-2012, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I already suggested this in the old thread: Raising intact children

its inclusive and sounds positive. I think putting "intact" and "care" together gives members who are casually scrolling through the forums a bad impression if they are "on the other side of the fence". I personally think that if the misconception that intact penises require "care" were 100% abolished, the circ rate would plummet. If someone ISN'T doing any research and they happen across an article titled "how to care for the intact penis" and don't read it long enough to see that the "care" is to not mess with it, this is REINFORCING the belief that intact penises require "care".. and that this "care" is so specific an article needs to be written about it. I'm not saying that we shouldn't be putting "intact care" information out there, I'm just saying we need to watch the language in our headlines. I know people who, if they scrolled through the forum titles and saw "intact care" they'd shudder and think, "aaand thats why we're circing. there's a whole forum dedicated to how to care for a foreskin! gross!" 

I'd also suggest in the forum description, above the threads, a little blurb specifically mentioning that foreskin should never be retracted by anyone but the owner, that its normal for it to not retract until well into puberty, wipe base to tip. That way, someone who is on the fence and curious sees that information without ever seen the words "intact care" and without even needing to click a thread.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#3 of 5 Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 PM

I like the pp's suggestion but how about adding Questions & Answers after it. So "Raising intact Children Questions & Answers". I love the little blurb idea about not retracting.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 5 Old 05-06-2012, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I agree with LiL Star's suggestion and reasoning. thumb.gif

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#5 of 5 Old 05-09-2012, 01:21 AM

I agree that, to newcomers, this board is off putting due to all the negative care stories.  I notice that there is very little positivity.  Maybe we should have a 3 subforums. How about a subforum called: The benefits of not circumcising: Positive stories,links and info.  

I do think a person who has come here will definitely look at that subforum because most people come here to be convinced.  Currently - we are not doing that.  It would be nice if people who are on the fence could go to a subforum and be overwhelmed by only positive stories.

So I think intact care is ok as a heading as long as we have this other more positive subforum as well.

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page