Can retraction cause longterm damage? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I knew better. I did all the research with my first son, but with my second one, I just knew enough to know we wouldn't circ' and how to care for an intact penis. I of course remembered "do not retract", and told his sitter, pedi, etc.

What I didn't expect was to find ourselves in the ER with a fussy infant with 103 fever, and docs insisting we do all these tests (because he wasn't vaccinated...only 4 months old, and they were going to rule out problems based on vax status...but that's another post for another board).

I agreed to bloodwork and a urine collection. The nurse comes in with a catheter. I told her not to retract his penis, and that it could be harmful. She said it's only harmful if you do it regularly and she had to for the catheter. I KNEW it was wrong, but didn't know what to say to stop it. She retracted it a lot and for what seemed like forever. He ended up having a really bad UTI, so I'm glad we got it figured out, but now I'm concerned about him.

Should I be on the lookout for anything? The very tip, sort of toward the inside is really red right now, but it's been over a week since she did that.

I read the sticky about it causing microtears and possibly causing infection...is there anything beyond that to worry about?

Thanks and sorry if this question is already answered.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#2 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

You sound scared.  I'm sorry that this has happened to you & your little one.  (((hugs))) to you both.

If it's been a week, my guess would be that he will be okay.  Of course, you'll want to watch it.  Maybe dab it w/ some breastmilk a few times or more a day (as long as he doens't have yeast issues, which will be exaserbated ((sp?)) by breastmilk).  Oh, and if you used abx for the UTI, then breastmilk probably isn't a good idea because his flora won't be the same now as it was then.  Infant probiotics would be what I would do in that situation, both orally & topically.  Or another cream that you routinely use for his bottom for irritation.

From what I've read here, one retraction doesn't usually cause problems that you don't know about right away.  Repeated retraction is what causes the severe problems & is what probably leads to the stories you hear of "oh, he just HAD to be circumcised later in life."  

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. That's very reassuring. It still sucked, but reading all the horror stories had me worried. I did not see any immediate issues; in fact, within minutes of the catheter being removed, he was all smiles. I did start probiotics as soon as they started the antibiotics. I was not aware of topical ones though. I am still somewhat bummed at myself for not staying up to date with all my research. Seeing that we have chosen to go against the grain in many areas, I feel like I should be extra vigilant about things like this. Thanks again.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#4 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlec View Post
 I did start probiotics as soon as they started the antibiotics. I was not aware of topical ones though. I am still somewhat bummed at myself for not staying up to date with all my research. Seeing that we have chosen to go against the grain in many areas, I feel like I should be extra vigilant about things like this. Thanks again.

I don't know of any topical probiotics either ;-).  I just use the oral ones on my parts.  It works for me :-)  And, I understand about wanting to stay up on everything!  It sure is hard though w/ everything else we do!  Please be kind to yourself.  You should not have been put in that position in the first place.  It is possible to place a catheter w/o retraction.  The nurse just didn't know what she was doing :-(.

I hope all continues to be well!

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#5 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 12:15 PM

Repeat forced retraction is where the issues come from. Just the once shouldnt be an issue and if it where you would see it within a few days.

Like pp said the nurse just didnt know what she was doing if she retracted more than just a tiny bit to visualize the urethra on the glans. Hopefully nothing like this will ever happen again but if it does request a nurse from the NICU they are very familiar with cathing intact and just to be safe have her explain just what she is going to do. She should say something similar to moving the skin just enough to see the urethra.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#6 of 7 Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 PM

I hope your little guy heals. Sounds like things are going well. My older son had his penis forcefully retracted by a ped during an examination when he was 2. It happened so fast and I was so shocked. I felt regret for a long time that I didn't say something beforehand about his penis. But I'm happy to say that he is completely fine at 6 yrs!

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#7 of 7 Old 06-15-2012, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies. He seems fine today, and he isn't red anymore. I really appreciate this forum. I don't know if I posted on here before, but when I was pregnant with my first son I got so much info from here. It was the stories on here and information pages linked here that got my husband on board with keeping our kids intact.

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page