Saw this today. Makes me SOO angry. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope it's not a problem to post this article here.  It's just amazing to me how in the end...money makes the whole world go 'round.  I just can't stand it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/20/drop-circumcisions-cost_n_1812393.html?utm_hp_ref=parents&ir=Parents

Rachel(29)treehugger.gif Crunchy, granola wife of Matthew(30)reading.gif, DD Willow(5yrs)energy.gif, DS Ronan(2yrs) superhero.gif, Ivy Spring 12/29/2009 lost to Hydrops at 20 weeksangel3.gif, 2 other angel.gif and DS Canaan(1yr) kid.gif.  Holy Cow!!! jaw2.gifDue with someone new July 2014!!! joy.gif
#2 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I saw that, too. It makes me crazy. Most of the worlds' men are intact and their parts are not rotting and falling off. Really... this kind of stuff makes me crazy. My 16 year old son is intact and has had NO issues. None.
#3 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 PM

I think we'd save even more if we just castrated them at birth.  shrug.gif

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#4 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 12:28 PM

I'm sure none of that change has anything to do with crappy sex ed, condoms being disturbingly expensive, and the US's general weird attitudes towards sex. Nah, must be the circumcision. 

nstewart likes this.
#5 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM

Saw it on Yahoo Health news, with barfeliciously selected studies (such as Kenyan men report improved sensation after circ, yeah right)... I view this as a desperate attempt to cut off more infants' genital-parts as American society finally reaches lower rates - the doctors and industry have to stop that somehow. It's also funny how the Yahoo article cited a doc who couldn't say whether the European men who are rarely circed have higher STD rights (they don't, which he obviously knows but doesn't want to admit). The lies digust me.

Disclaimer: I'm European living in the US. I was never able to wrap my head around the circ cult.

#6 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 01:38 PM

I just saw this too. :(

It's all about money and insecurity.

heartbeat.gif Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 6, 3, 2) & 3 angel1.gif
#7 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

It's not even "all about the money'", as there is no real sound evidence to back up these numbers. I don't imagine circumcision is cheaper at all. I think the people who came up with that estimate are mistaken.

#8 of 9 Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 PM

What about all the money we'll save not paying doctors to cut up baby genitals? I'd like to see them factor that in.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#9 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM

From what I can see, it looks like the article claims that not circumcising causes a lifetime increased medical cost of $440 per couple.  Since this is about the cost of a circumcision itself, I would say it all evens out.

Tags
Circumcision

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page